Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters

Walkera Helicopters Walkera Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Plan for a JR 9303 instead of WK-2801 Pro?

I am about two weeks into using my first JR 9303 transmitter. I love it.

While I do have 2.4 GHz copters to fly with it (MSR, and a bunch of CX3 which I am modifying and testing), I do have two Walkera copters which I love, but with their own proprietary version of 2.4 GHz. Ok, they are both fixed pitch, but they are nice machines – a CB180Q and a CB180D. I am thinking about purchasing a 4G6S. Like a lot of things that are built-to-a-price point from orient, I think these machines are excellent technical designs, but poorly made/assembled. I love tuning machines though (I am an former-racebike mechanic and pit crew) for a Honda team.

Now we get to my question…
Because of my great experience with the 9303, I have been saving up to purchase the Walkera 2801 Pro, so I can have the maximum amount of programming capability with the Walkera birds.

Then, I read a review of the 2801 which stated it did not have a working throttle hold, and no where near the capability of the 9303. I was hoping they would have a lot more in common.

1. Would it be recommended that I give up on the “purchase a 2801-Pro Tx” idea, and just save for 4, 6, or 9 channel JR receivers for each of my Walkera copters, and swap them in?

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions or experiences?

2. Should I purchase a 4-channel JR receiver for 4-channel FP helis? Or is there an economy of scale to purchase a bunch of 6 or 9 channel JR receivers and just use the 4-channels?

3. Anyone have recommendations as to best-value receivers compatible with JR 2.4 GHz and good for the Walkera applications?

Any technical issues here that I am not aware of?

Thanks for any and all replies,
Steelhat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't have experience with the JR, but I have growing experience with the 2801. (and Dx6I and a bunch of older Futaba heli radios).

The 2801 in my view is a very nice tx. Its organized a bit differently than the JR/fut bunch, but that's no big deal.

It does have a working throttle hold, with 26xx and 28xx receivers. Its important to note, that all of the 2.4g systems use proprietary logic to talk to their receivers. the 2801 will bind with 24xx, 26xx, and 28xx receivers, but you will only get the functions out that the rx/tx system has in its native state. eg, 2801 running in 2401 mode will work like a 2401 tx. 2601, the same etc. These are firmware issues in the receivers. The 2801 outputs code compatible with the xx01 versions. Helis like the 180 series fly like you are using the 2401 tx. Helis using the 2601 tx/rx are mimiced by the 2801 as 2601 systems. The 2612 receiver has most of the capability of the 2801 series, but not quite all. Walkera is having to play catch up a bit here - they need a more versatile range of 28xx receivers.

One feature the 2801 has (not sure if its on the JR, its not on the DX6i) is separate pitch curve and throttle curve trim on the tx - allowing you to change the hover point values of pitch and head speed without going in an reshaping curves - very nice feature.

On your walkera birds, to get the full functionality of the 2801tx, you need to equip them with 2612 receivers, otherwise they'll act just like they do with the stock gear.

My only complaint so far with the 2801 tx is the balance point is not optimum for neck strap use, but thats minor. The 2801 has far more output power (=range) than the DX6I.

If you want compatbility with JR Tx in the walkera birds, you're going to have put JR receivers in them. Since Spektrum is JR, you *might* be able to use some of the Spectrum receivers - they're cheaper than JRs
Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default What a great reply!

Thanks for everything you wrote!
It is really helpful.

Looks like I will go back to my original plan - - picking up a 2801 as part of a 4G6s package, which would then be a win-win. It would provide the Tx for the long term work, and also introduce me to one more bird.

Anyone have any other feedback or experience?

Steelhat
Steelhat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60something View Post
One feature the 2801 has (not sure if its on the JR, its not on the DX6i) is separate pitch curve and throttle curve trim on the tx - allowing you to change the hover point values of pitch and head speed without going in an reshaping curves - very nice feature.
60something, would you mind elaborating with some examples on the feature quoted above? I was wondering about what those trim tabs are for but didn't see anything in the manual (or missed it?). Thanks!

Btw, I do have a DX6i and still like the 2801pro better (even though I put the back-light kit in the DX6i). I'm flying the 4g6s with it (2801) and it is solid and quick enough for this bird.
kutyafal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutyafal View Post
60something, would you mind elaborating with some examples on the feature quoted above? I was wondering about what those trim tabs are for but didn't see anything in the manual (or missed it?). Thanks!
Hi, those trims just more or less let you fine tune the curves without having to go into the curve menu and setting up new curves..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in