Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Banked turns with Quad Copters

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read my thread. I'm relatively new to the hobby, mostly Coax and toy grade stuff. I find I enjoy quads the most and have purchased both a Nano QX for indoor and a 180 QX for more robust flying out doors. I also have Phoenix RC for my PC. I feel my orientation is improving and I have no issues with nice gradual turns and basic movement. The thing which continues to elude me are fast flight banked turns. In particular I believe I am not using the right combination of moves. I am looking for links or videos which are specific to turning quads in a banked orientation, not the mostly flat turns I am currently doing at lower speeds. Any help, tips, stick movements, etc would be appreciated.
ErikIL77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unfortunately most of the videos or instructions out there will be for helis because most flying quads don't want banked turns.

The principals are the same with helis so do a search for rc heli circles or funnels. Just do exactly the same and you will get the same results on your quad.
sharkfin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 04:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

On a quadcopter, you have to use a lot of elevator and aileron, just like on a helicopter, but the quadcopter will try stabilize itsself, so you need to hold the sticks there, where with a helicopter you can somewhat lock them in and only correct.
So make sure you keep agressively steering the quadcopter into the turn, and you should be able to make a banked turn.

On some quadcopters, the max bank angle might not even allow for a real banked turn. On some quadcopters you can change the max bank angle, if you can't, you have a problem.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

The 180 and Nana both have the stability and agility modes with the 180 having an in between mode. I'm comfortable with the in between mode on the 180 and enjoy it for outdoor flight. The Nano is a hand full in agility mode. In the agility mode the quads hold the orientations instead of self leveling. Makes for some surprisingly fast forward flight, more than I thought they were capable of.
ErikIL77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My nano-qx flies quite a bit like a CP heli in agility mode. I don't use it (agility mode) indoors unless I'm in a big open space.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

A locked in turn or circle will be hard in stability mode. In agility mode it will fly very similarly to a heli. Look up zfloop's vids on YouTube.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

In stability mode, the quad will teach bad CP habits, because you can use full stick movements and not overcontrol it. Switch to agility and the first thing that happens is massive overcorrections. In a second or 2 that goes away, but it's unsettling.

George - Taranis, 450x, 130x, mcpx-bl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in