Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 700 Class Electric Helicopters

700 Class Electric Helicopters 700 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2015, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

My HF Map location
Default Need-to-know's for 700's

Hi guys, I just got a new 700 (still building and collecting electronics) and would like to know some "need-to-know's" for 700 size helis for once I get it complete.

Thanks
Keith
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The number one need to know is they are" dangerous as all hell". Just don't get to complacent and always stay on your toes. Get yourself in the habit of a good preflight check.
And after your maiden go over it with a fine tooth comb cause you might have missed something. I've flown a heli a few times then went to open my tail blades and the hub fall into my hand. Scarey but lucky I caught it.
And remember to breath on your maiden flight. Lol 700's have a huge pucker factor

And welcome to the club 700's are by far my favorite class.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur3 View Post
The number one need to know is they are" dangerous as all hell". Just don't get to complacent and always stay on your toes. Get yourself in the habit of a good preflight check.
And after your maiden go over it with a fine tooth comb cause you might have missed something. I've flown a heli a few times then went to open my tail blades and the hub fall into my hand. Scarey but lucky I caught it.
And remember to breath on your maiden flight. Lol 700's have a huge pucker factor

Great advice! Respect the machine, maintain the machine, enjoy the machine! The sound of a 700 electric is like AC/DC to me!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur3 View Post

Karate Kid Lesson 1 (Wax on Wax off) (2 min 51 sec)

Make absolutely certain your blades are the same tightness. Also, you are going to want to run them a little tighter than you would on a smaller heli.

You WILL get the shakes the first time you solo it. Go slow. Hover it a few packs first before going all out with it. You will definitely want to get a feel for the collective. I'm still having trouble with that one. Less movement on the stick to make it go into orbit (or bury itself in the earth's core).

Excalibur3 ain't kiddin' with the Pucker factor.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

You have not lived unless you have flown and crashed a 700
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 04:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

few things that differ the 700s' from the smaller helis you have been flying, and need to be noted:

the servos on 700 pull a lot of current- make sure you power them accordingly, if you go with a BEC, the CC bec pro is a minimum (or anything that has at least the same output current)

make sure to have two power leads from your bec/rx pack to the fbl controller. servo connectors are only rated for a current of 5A const, so you need two different power leads to make sure the servos can get sufficient current.
if you are running a DFC style head- make sure you have ZERO up and down play on the main blade grips, any up and down play will probably lead to a failure of the DFC link.- get yourself an extra set of dampeners, because those can wear quick and cause slop.
700s are big, and at first can be very intimidating, but once you get used to the size, your 700 will probably get more airtime than your smaller helis- because its a blast to fly
Gaui X3\Ikon\Talon 35\460MX
bendisar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I get people saying the shakes and pucker factor...I only get it flying someone elses bird. When I first went to a 450 I got the shakes for about 20 flights. 600/700 class is so big and so much presence in the sky all I feel is confidence.

Big birds are exciting. Take off. Give it some altitude, shake the tail a little to get a feel for it. Rock the cyclic. Punch the collective a couple times. Land and make any gain or tuning adjustments, then take off and tear it up.

Oh...and the noise it makes in an inverted backwards hurricane is UNREAL the first time you hear it
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Big blades require extra attention. Make sure your dampening is nice and tight and run your blades extra tight than you normally would. I run very tight mains on mine, but have to make sure they are perfectly aligned before spool up or you will get massive shakes.

If you have any up and down play in the blades you must use spacers. Don't "pinch" the blades by overcompressing the metal on the grips to hold the blades. I have a metal spacer top and bottom on the blade.

If you do any of these things wrong with a blade this big and heavy you are at high risk for a boom strike.

Also, the more logging you have the better. If you have ESC logs from your ESC and vibration logs from you FBL, it will pay off to check those after every flight the first few flights to make sure everything is running correctly.

Take good care of your Lipos.

Bring plenty of tools to the field your first time out. After the first flight, go over every nut and bolt you can, just lightly torqueing it to make sure it hasn't worked loose.
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Be careful not to get hit by the blades when walking up to the heli after landing... those 700 blades are surprisingly long! I got hit once on the tibia and it hurt…

Also, never mess around on the workbench with the blades on it… I’ve also got hit once from a quarter turn (only) and it also hurt.

Basically, stay safe.
HarveyR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyR View Post
Be careful not to get hit by the blades when walking up to the heli after landing... those 700 blades are surprisingly long! I got hit once on the tibia and it hurt…

Also, never mess around on the workbench with the blades on it… I’ve also got hit once from a quarter turn (only) and it also hurt.

Basically, stay safe.
Interestingly enough, I was installing my new Edge 693SE and had one blade on. The workbench has a tilt due to the board sagging, I let go of the blade and reached down to grab something off the floor and got hit in the cheekbone with the blade

That hurt lol. And it wasn't even under power
Old 01-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here are the issues I had.

Help with installing flight batteries:

Here is the one for the one-way-bearing:
Old 01-30-2015, 12:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good tips. Specially the one with inserting the batteries. Will definitely use this one.

Gh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goodhunting is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2015, 07:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

My HF Map location

very useful vids thank you
Old 01-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I recently started using the one for the battery and loved it the last time I went flying. The OWB issue perplexed me at first until I figured out what the problem was.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you don't want to fumble around with the OWB, KDE makes a hub that eliminates the internal sleeve. No more slippage.

http://www.kdedirect.com/collections...cts/at700-owbm
OXY rep
DCflyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

My HF Map location

if I wanted to get that KDE and not even bother with the stock, what all would I need to get a complete one way? (I don't have a OWB yet)
Old 01-31-2015, 04:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I wouldn't count out the stock OWB. I have a lot of flights on mine and it's the original.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

The mod is basically if you have a problem. Not all of them have the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in