Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I'm ready to try the self-level feature

I got my vibes down; finally setup the 720 to fly well

So now I'm waiting for the Firmware update with the heli in my left hand and the USB plug on the other. I know Skookum will give us the update so we can all fly leveled this Memorial day weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really don't think so.. Maybe next year?
denizcan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

How long can you wait for the Firmware update? I understand that longer heavy work programming, but the beta drivers tested for a month. Skookum said 05-11-2010, 04:24 PM quote: "All of the above is working in-house now, so it should be out by the weekend after next."
I really like how fly my bird with SK720, but I'm learning to fly, and I want to use the self-level feature, GPS.
Good luck waiting for!
SlavikR is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agreed. I understand delays, and I understand that Skookum has no obligation to participate in any online forum. However, they definitely should be at the least updating the "news" portion on their own website. Right now it still says "end of April" for the firmware update.......

I know some people are loving their 720s but IMO Skookum is destroying their reputation with unfulfilled promises. Frankly, I'm really surprised because between the VBar and the upcoming Total G, the competition is fierce right now and Skookum has a product (as it currently stands) that is not competitive on price point or feature set.
freeze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You're right!
Mikado is preparing a new Firmware update, and not a little doubt that the soon to be announced new product (FBL Sys.) And will be considered an error and added some new features, and they will again be in the first place! Because they are fast reacting to the consumer. Forum, which meets the representative of the Mikado Rainer Vetter, helps to keep the market. IMHO.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Huh? One feature is disabled in the released firmware. A ton of features (like logging to a 2GB SD card) are working for you that the competition doesn't have.

Clearly you guys have not participated in cutting edge tech before. New feature delays are the norm. Hiccups happen, and a month or two delay isn't out of character for any company.

How many months has the TotalG slipped? vBar 4.0 took a long time to finally ship. And it's taking them 6 months so far to deliver on new feature promises.

I'd rather have a vendor take their time and test the software instead of turning the masses into beta testers (cough cough, Align, cough cough). In the end, that's WAY more damaging to a companies reputation compared to schedule slips.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm not saying that everything is bad contrast perfectly with SK720, I Vbar right now on the bench, but it is what it means? I got the SK720 in First Batch: 4/12/2010, 2 hours after opened the box, I have flown with him, was and is pleased. I want to use the self-level feature.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys,

Early releasing of a product is really required in todays world. SK720 does what it is intended to. (I cannot say the same for SK360) If you have good enough product, you should sell it; otherwise others sell.

I am pretty sure, if hardware of SK720 is good enough -I didn't open the box, and couldn't check it-, I mean if they installed good accelerometer and good gyro chips, mount in correct location, supplied with clean power, and if they managed digitizing the output well, they will sooner or later end up with leveling. I really do not care flight logging, and will never use it but just examined to see what they do it, how they used sensor data. And as far as I see, they are a little far side of the managing leveling and especially dead reckoning. If you watched the playback, you'll see that they didn't completed navigation computing, they just used angular speed to playback.

I do not know Skookum guys but examining the stage of SK720, I am not expecting leveling to be enabled for at least 6 mounts, and I installed IR leveling to my heli, for high altitude aerials..

Anyway, it is good enough for flybarless..
Old 05-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You couldn't be more wrong IMO. AFAIK, the self leveling is ready for release (I'm NOT in the know, this is my feeling ). It's just the other bug fixes/features they are working on that's delaying the release.

At launch, the feature was ready until a last minute issue was discovered. So IMO, it's REALLY close to release.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
OnTheSnap is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The R&D companies usually use this lie "we found a bug" not to say "we planned but failed for now".. I hope I am totally wrong, let see..

If it is released I will be more pleased than most of you, because I am flying really high to take footage, and I will be using it as a copilot. I am really happy with Co-Pilot II performance in high altitude, but reduction of components and being able to work indoors attracts me..
Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

denizcan -

You have no idea whats going on... Your post are getting strange man!!!

Facts are SL is working and has been! Go back and keep coming up with more ideas like trying to fly the sk720 with a fb
blade strike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

It wasn't my intention when I started this thread that it became a skookum bashing place.

In fact even though self-leveling will be really helpful to me since I'm a beginner, I found out that with the Scale Setup on my Furion 450 I can fly around and do very steady nose-in hovers. The 720 equipped heli is twice as stable compared to my flybared.

With Copilot ll I use it ON pretty much all the time. With the 720 I will be using SL as a bailout option since it flies stable enough without it.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still have the beta firmware on my two SK720's and I have never stopped using the self leveling feature, and it works very very well even on the old beta firmware.. until you go inverted.... then all hell breaks loose. Trust me... It was ugly...

Personally I think they should ship it with a big warning that says "Do not invert your helicopter or it will lawn dart into the ground"

That said.. I have an align 3G, two sk720's and a I have a mini-V setup; out of all of them the SK720 flies the best, and was the easiest to setup and do basic flight tuning on.

Bashing Skooum Robitics is uncalled for, the SK720 is an amazing product at an amazing price. I am sure they will release the firmware when they are 100% sure it is right. That in itself speaks volumes more about the quality of the company than rapidly pumping out firmware.

Skooum, if you read this, Ignore them, Do what you need to do. I will patiently wait and enjoy you fantastic products while i wait.
Gadflyii is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm glad you guys like your units but I think you're missing the point. Skookum is not communicating with their customers regarding what is the arguably the premier feature of their FBL unit. At $425, I doubt their would be a waiting list for the 720 if it was never advertised to have self-leveling. The fact that it works for the beta testers is great but makes it extra frustrating for those that have paid for units but do not have the feature enabled.

You can make excuses all you want but if Skookum wants to enter the market with a premium product at a premium price they need to better job of letting their paying customers know what is going on. It has been almost two months now, if it is going to take another two weeks or whatever they just need to say it. To do otherwise is an insult.
freeze is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

for instance for me.. I am selling my SK360 and SK720 because of their weak customer support, and not willing to buy any Skoookum..

for those of you interested: Trex450 flies with FB and SK720. For scale flying without self leveling, I do not see much using FBL.. It gets even worst if you have a vibration.. Trim your mechanics well, adjust the CG good, add weight to the flybar, there you go..

I am buying HeliCommand instead..
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizcan View Post
The R&D companies usually use this lie "we found a bug" not to say "we planned but failed for now"..
I don't see how one is a lie over the other???? Don't these statements pretty much seem the same?
I lie would be "we put the bug there on purpose but we'll just tell them that it's just a bug we found"...which is kind of silly...no?
BobOD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
t2o
Registered Users

The Self Leveling works and has from the begining. I have it on my Swift and it always works and always has. From an inverted hover, If I flip the switch, in less than 2 seconds, it is always upirght regardless of what I do with the sticks. This in not an attempt to pick a fight, just simple a fact. It works for me, PERIOD.
t2o is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizcan View Post
for instance for me.. I am selling my SK360 and SK720 because of their weak customer support, and not willing to buy any Skoookum..

for those of you interested: Trex450 flies with FB and SK720. For scale flying without self leveling, I do not see much using FBL.. It gets even worst if you have a vibration.. Trim your mechanics well, adjust the CG good, add weight to the flybar, there you go..

I am buying HeliCommand instead..

I dont even think you own one with that comment... the unit is not effected by vibs the accelerometer are and they do not control flight except for SL.

2nd you just stated this morning you were happy with sk-720 It does ssem your are lost at this point and really dont know what youre saying anymore
Old 05-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeze View Post
I'm glad you guys like your units but I think you're missing the point. Skookum is not communicating with their customers regarding what is the arguably the premier feature of their FBL unit. At $425, I doubt their would be a waiting list for the 720 if it was never advertised to have self-leveling. The fact that it works for the beta testers is great but makes it extra frustrating for those that have paid for units but do not have the feature enabled.

You can make excuses all you want but if Skookum wants to enter the market with a premium product at a premium price they need to better job of letting their paying customers know what is going on. It has been almost two months now, if it is going to take another two weeks or whatever they just need to say it. To do otherwise is an insult.

FYI -

The beta users are paying customers The feature was pulled before release. You still had a choice to buy it, no?

They are doing their best, sometime I think that the same people bitching about not having SL would be the ones looking for blood when and if they got hit by the last min. bug!
Old 05-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
They are doing their best, sometime I think that the same people bitching about not having SL would be the ones looking for blood when and if they got hit by the last min. bug!
I'm sure that you are right. Folks just like to bitch, and know they are being heard. Doesn't change anything, just makes you feel better.
kazager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in