Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
b25
Registered Users

Unhappy 14MZ touchscreen lifespan

Could someone able to comment on the touchscreen lifespan?

My Tx is only 2 yrs old and the screen has lost it sensitivity at the lower right of the screen, another of my local flyer who got his earlier is having the same problem too. This make me wonder weather the screen can only last an average of 2 years. I got a quote from my local authorised dealer of $350 usd for replacing the screen. This price don't look attractive to me to fork it out for such a poor quality screen.

Can someone who has replaced the screen before share your finding?

Thanks,

Vic
b25 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got mine switched for free by Robbe, when the tx was aprox. 2˝-3 years old. The new screen is much more touch sensitive, and still works perfectly.
dkpodder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Futaba 14mz touch screen problems..........

This is the biggest complaint of my $2000 14mz! It has done it since the beginning and I just didn't want to ship it to be repaired but I should have had it done when it would have been replaced for free. They should still do it for free also......and also the pots with the new improved ones!

I inquired about the part and was told around $130.00 and I could easily do it myself. Maybe a project once the cold weather sets in....

Mine is terrible in a lot of places and sometimes I feel I am going to crack the screen! If I press the top right corner to move a number is sticks and goes all the way to the extreme!

I wish Futaba would have come up with a better touch panel!

Michael
hpilotrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

I have a 14MZ that are a couple of years old and the touchscreen is so far acting normal with normal sensitivity. I have noticed a replacement screen including a new sealing is not so expensive maybe one should buy one as a spare part for future use just in case - I just assume one day the screen will act strange and need to be replaced. I plan to use my 14MZ many years since it was rather big investment and I expect it to be usable at least 5-7 years with normal use without need to start to repair the transmitter. It is the best radio I have used so I'm happy with it despite there is a list of things I dislike (the small capacity 2200 mAh battery is one, the bad balance point without the old antenna and a few other).

/Bo
bossee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

mine is five yrs old, had screen replaced free last year, works much better than original, pots and gimbals replaced also for free. love my 14mz
T-rex 600 HFE Rotorworkz,#2 T-rex 600 HFE Rotorworkz, Tiger 50 w/hyper 50
T-rex 600 Nitro Pro, YS-50, MP-5, 6100t, 9255's,Futaba 14MZ 2.4 & 72mhz
Hotwings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

My radio is from jan/2007 and I changed my screen this spring. Bought a new one from Ripmax and put it in myself. The new screen is much better than the old, much more touch sensitive. I think the screen was about 120 UKŁ.
henrik
MSH Protos "Monsterheli", HDX-450
hookmaker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
b25
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thumbs down Authorized Futaba Service Center

A few day later after starting this thread, I cracked the screen while doing some setting, this made me sent it for repaired at my local dealer which is also an authorized Futaba service center.

It has been 3 mths since sending in my Tx early Oct last year. Call them twice and the answer is " will contact you once is ready".

The time taken by them to have the screen replaced really have me in doubt in there skill and experience to repair TX. Even if my TX is being sent from Singapore to Japan for repair by Sea, I think it should have been repaired by now.

I am not too sure how FUTABA trained or equip all their authorize service center in repairing all this high tech computerized TX. This is way below service standard level for being an authorized Futaba Service Center and I really getting impatient, does anyone has any idea where can I log a service complaint to FUTABA Japan?

Thks

Vic
Old 01-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Vic,

Maybe someone here can help You with your question:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_125/tt.htm

/Bo
bossee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Futaba channel in Singapore SUCKs..!!

http://nitro-magic.blogspot.com
TmMugen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Here is a link with the worldwide contacts for Futaba RC:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/futdist.html
Old 01-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
b25
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Here is a link with the worldwide contacts for Futaba RC:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/futdist.html

Thks pal, I got this link through bossee as well, I have sent them a mail about 2 weeks back, I have yet to hear from them. Anyway the poor service of our local dealer make me think twice in getting anymore Futaba equipment.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bro, that is why today I am still JR 12X user.

If not for the F#@K UP service, I would have gone 14MZ.

Remember once I got a 12Z from them and ended up giving me USED battery in the new TX? And when the navi button was faulty on day 2 (BRAND NEW), I was told to wait 1-2 weeks for the part to exchange. Come on this is a day 2 radio!! Eventually they yield and changed me a radio but i suspect that given me a old radio!! with program inside!!

The mention of this LHS gets me freaking pissed!! Period!! NO MORE!!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 14mz now with new Touch Screen and Pots...

Well I just got back my 5-year-old 14mz from Hobby Services with a new touch screen and joystick pots. The technician did an excellent job and now the touch screen works with just the slightest touch anywhere on the screen. I also checked and the new pots are the white ones with 10X the life expectancy. It also looks like the backup battery was replaced even though it was not mentioned in the work order.

At first the Futaba Rep there did not authorize the free replacement and I was told I would have to pay close to $200 to have the work done even when the problem has been there from the first day of use. The screen has always been much less sensitive on the right side for me and it only got worse over time. I am surpirsed I never broke it because at times I had to press real hard and way off from where the icon was.

I have bought only Futaba transmitters for the last 31+ years and can't believe Futaba would not stand behind what is clearly known as a manufacturing problem concerning the touch screen used in the 14mz with a $2000.00 price tag!

Yes I will still continue to buy Futaba....and thanks to Bill Baxter for all his help in getting this product back to work the way it should have in the first place!

Michael
hpilotrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

GREAT..!! That is what I called service. Actually if I can get my hands on one, I would and do not mind sending stuff to and fro USA to get the service support.

Time to support the USA economy..!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in