Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics > Futaba 14MZ - 12Z

Futaba 14MZ - 12Z Futaba 14MZ and 12Z Help and features Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What problems did you have with your 14MZ so far???

hi there,

i was considering getting the 14MZ but i was told the display goes bad quite often and the battery life sucks. to fix the battery problem is easy, just get a second battery.
but what about the display going bad. anyone had that happen before? if so, whats the support like? LHS or sending it in? fees?

thanks,
G

p.s. the batteries look like the ones in my digital camera. can i use other batteries than the futaba ones?

Last edited by neavissa; 03-22-2010 at 01:57 AM..
neavissa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 07:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have had mine for a year now and no issues

I love it and it is fantastic radio.
Mikado Logo 600SE V-bar
maizor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maizor View Post
I have had mine for a year now and no issues

I love it and it is fantastic radio.
thanks for the info. i am still debating if i should get it or not?! Norway is pretty cold though, i heard its having a hard time when you are in the sun all the time...

G
Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had mine for years now, and only minor issues.

The screen was exchanged by Robbe for free, the initial one had low touch sensitivity in the right side (and always had, from brand new). The new screen is super sensitive, and it works excellent.

One issue though, can't quite remember the details, but the software was stuck at one screen. The tx was sent to Robbe, and they quickly fixed it for free.
dkpodder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

interesting info...doesn't sound to bad so far. i wonder why everyone that replied so far is not in the USA???

thanks,
G
Old 03-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa View Post
hi there,

i was considering getting the 14MZ but i was told the display goes bad quit often and the battery life sucks. to fix the battery problem is easy, just get a second battery.
but what about the display going bad. anyone had that happen before? if so, whats the support like? LHS or sending it in? fees?

thanks,
G

p.s. the batteries look like the ones in my digital camera. can i use other batteries than the futaba ones?
Never had an issue, either in Taiwan or in Europe. I did a mode change on it, and had to send it in for that; took about a week.
Yes - you can use other batteries. It's the same as a Sony NP-F570 battery.

Best radio ever, in my opinion. Just wish Futaba was a little more proactive on their receiver development,e.g. like Spektrum with built in governor.
Edvard R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 01:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard R View Post
Never had an issue, either in Taiwan or in Europe. I did a mode change on it, and had to send it in for that; took about a week.
Yes - you can use other batteries. It's the same as a Sony NP-F570 battery.

Best radio ever, in my opinion. Just wish Futaba was a little more proactive on their receiver development,e.g. like Spektrum with built in governor.
hmmm, getting better and better, from minute to minute. i think i am gonna just try it! if it doesn't work, i can always sell it again...

thanks for the info!!!
Georgios
Old 03-22-2010, 01:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have had my 14MZ in Germany at the end of last year and was flying it in -16"C (I'll never do that again it was way too cold) and have had it outside in the hot Australian summer sun for a whole day with no issues.

Yes the batteries last about 2 hours but a second or even third pack solves that problem forever.

The only other issue is in 2.4GHz guise the balance is aweful, but there are lots of hangers around to address that issue, I made a set up out of carbon.

Mick

aussiemick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemick View Post
I have had my 14MZ in Germany at the end of last year and was flying it in -16"C (I'll never do that again it was way too cold) and have had it outside in the hot Australian summer sun for a whole day with no issues.

Yes the batteries last about 2 hours but a second or even third pack solves that problem forever.

The only other issue is in 2.4GHz guise the balance is aweful, but there are lots of hangers around to address that issue, I made a set up out of carbon.

Mick
Mick,

say hi to all the Greeks over there for me! LOL...thanks for the info. i am really getting too much positive feedback for it to be ignored! I guess i am gonna order one. unitedhobbies has one for a good deal...

thanks,
Georgios

p.s. never mind, i just saw you are in the usa!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

With a username like Aussiemick, I would guess I was in Australia!!

There are lots of Greeks here, Melbourne has the second biggest Greek population behind only Athens.

Mick

aussiemick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by neavissa View Post
unitedhobbies has one for a good deal...
Only thing is that that one is Mode 1 only... which of course may be what you're looking for...

Cheers
Edvard R is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemick View Post
With a username like Aussiemick, I would guess I was in Australia!!

There are lots of Greeks here, Melbourne has the second biggest Greek population behind only Athens.

Mick
i know, i have to go and check it out one day...!

G
Old 03-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard R View Post
Only thing is that that one is Mode 1 only... which of course may be what you're looking for...

Cheers
damn, didn't even think about that!!! i think you just saved me a lot of trouble. i need mode 2!

thanks man!

G
Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey

I have used my 14mz for >3 years.
The pots broke, worn out, maybe because of to must crack flying and sim.
Robbe change them all very fast, and installed a new screen cove

The first batch of 14mz did use some other pots.

I dont have any problem with the cg after using 2.4ghz.

Great radio.
Knud Pedersen DENMARK is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knud Pedersen DENMARK View Post
Hey

I have used my 14mz for >3 years.
The pots broke, worn out, maybe because of to must crack flying and sim.
Robbe change them all very fast, and installed a new screen cove

The first batch of 14mz did use some other pots.

I dont have any problem with the cg after using 2.4ghz.

Great radio.
It looks like i am gonna get one for sure...thanks for the info...

G
Old 03-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My 14mz

I bought my Futaba 14mz 4 years ago and it is a great transmitter!

I have had some annoying problems....from day one the screen sensitivity on the right side has been terrible as I have to push real hard especially towards the top. Yes Hobby Services would have fixed it but I didn't want a brand new $2000 transmitter to have to be disassembled!

This past year all of a sudden my right rudder trim button did not work. I ended up replacing the switches myself (both left and right) as recommended by their tech support and now it is working fine again. I also found one screw missing on the trim switch pcb that was never installed during production! If I would have known that the touch screen was just an overlay to the main TFT? display I would have replaced that also since I had it out anyway. I guess I can still do it but don't really enjoy taking this thing apart since it is so expensive! Maybe I will do it at the end of this flying season?

The 14mz is still a great transmitter and I wouldn't use anything else other then a Futaba. My first Futaba was purchased in the early 1980's and I have never owned any other TX brand.

Michael
hpilotrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Michael,

doesn't sound too bad considering the time you had the radio...especially when you think about the fact that the screen came like that!
i actually think i am gonna go with the 12z. i would think that futaba is gonna release a new flagship radio at some point, not too far in the future! i am gonna get than then for sure!

thanks for the info,
G
Old 04-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Nack strap holder is loose on my 14 MZ - almost impossible to tighten - much of transmitter need to be diassembled. Terrible balance point but can be fixed with 3rd party holders. I use screen protector from www.rcscreenprotectors.com
The antenna of one of my TM-14 transmitter modules broke.
Battery life sucks. Other then that probably one of the better radio systems on the market.

/Bo
bossee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossee View Post
Hi,

Nack strap holder is loose on my 14 MZ - almost impossible to tighten - much of transmitter need to be diassembled. Terrible balance point but can be fixed with 3rd party holders. I use screen protector from www.rcscreenprotectors.com
The antenna of one of my TM-14 transmitter modules broke.
Battery life sucks. Other then that probably one of the better radio systems on the market.

/Bo
man, i am going back and forth with getting a 14MZ...i think one of the reasons why i would rather get a 12z is that there is a T18 supposed to come out at some point...i would hate to see me getting the 14MZ and 3 month later the T18 comes out...:o

thanks,
G
Old 04-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Yes I have wondered for a long time when Futaba will come out with something new in their high end product range. 14 MZ has been on the market for long time now. On the other hand for example the German manufacturer Graupner still have not released their new high end MC-32 despite they announced it over a year ago. But 14 MZ must be said to have been a top radio system for so many years now it is amazing no other manufacturer has really caught up yet. So that is positive (for Futaba users) - and even if Futaba will come with something new a 14 MZ will still be modern for many years in future.

/Bo
bossee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in