Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 300X

300X Blade 300X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ininverno View Post
Okay let made a different angled example.
Buy a scorpion 2213 open it.. Send out for tune rewinding using single wiring... add one more bearing on the output shaft.
With this operation your scorpion motor will become as Lynx one... Tuned.
How much you pay to get it tuned?
Our motor 2214 was designed from scratch and made tuned native. I don't want convince you buy it.. So many options you have.. Or just stick with standard one if is enough for you. Just want be sure you see reason why expensive.
Hope my last example help you understand what we do on this last motor.
Peace

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Luca,

I think Centurian and myself have a mutual understanding and respect for each other pertaining to our opinion of aftermarket parts and "upgrades." Centurian takes a lot of heat and snarky remarks from other members in this forum for his positions on this, but I've come to respect his opinion and am always curious to see his take on things.

Based on what I've observed, my biggest "gripe" with Lynx (or any other aftermarket heli company for that matter) is the way business is conducted and presented. I would love to help you out with improving the English and grammar on your product descriptions. I would love to see some photographs once in a while on the production process of some of your parts, or at least of the facilities themselves. I would love to see a little more information posted about the factories you contract with for part production. I would love to see Lynx, MicroHeli, Xtreme Productions, RakonHeli, Fusuno, etc. come out of the woodwork and explain what the hell is going on with the way these parts are being manufactured and distributed.

Just the other day I discovered that I could buy the same CF blades MicroHeli is selling for the 300X at 1/3 the price MicroHeli is selling them for (see this thread for details)... The fact that RakonHeli and Fusuno are selling what appears to be the exact same plastic blades that Lynx is selling... It even looks like Fusuno is selling the same canopies that Lynx is selling (or at least from the same fiberglass molds). What the hell is going on here?

You see what I'm getting at? I don't care if you're contracting with other companies for your part production. There's nothing wrong with that. But it seems shady because the process is never explained. For example, the plastic blades... Is there a contract or royalty agreement that is allowing RakonHeli and Fusuno to use the same molds for their blades as Lynx does, or are they simply stealing your intellectual property rights in a country that won't enforce them? I've seen so much re-branding and cloning in this hobby that I have no idea whose stealing from who, or if any theft is taking place at all.

I'm a regular Lynx customer; you've treated me quite well and I love most of the Lynx products that I've tried. A few days ago I even got an email stating that my "free" 300X STD Profile canopy has been shipped because the Lynx Protos canopies didn't fit well on your 300X CF Frame; that's good business and I'm very pleased that Lynx made the effort to correct the problem. So long story short, taking the initiative to explain your business model would really clear up a lot of the ill feelings some people are having. Simply explaining why the new 300X motor costs so much was all Centurian needed or was asking for to help clear things up - proof that a simple explanation can go a long way.

Uriah is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 02:30 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

after asking about the stock esc with this motor i have since ordered one along with slant pinions for it. not unhappy with the stocker as it is more than adequate for my flying ability but it is only a matter of time before the stocker fails causing a crash. scorpion motors are less kv than these (the recommended 2208 motor), just as expensive and hard to get. cant wait to try this one out and compare to stock.
boofy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys,

Can I first start by saying, when it comes to buying upgrade parts for my 300x I will generally always by Lynx before any other brand.

But when it comes to this motor, it is potentially a very high quality well made motor - but I am very confused by its specs:

1) The stock 300x is a little underpowered at only 220W, but really lacks torque from its motor - but will run happily on the stock ESC (22A x 10v = 220W).

2) The Scorpion / Hyperion motor has a lot more torque than the stock motor, and 50% more power at 330W, which is more than enough for just about any pilot. It really wants a 30/35A ESC. Flight times will reduce over stock with this setup, so won't be suitable for everyone's taste.

3) The Lynx motor is classified as a 430W motor which is almost twice that of stock, and could probably pull over 40 amps at full power - this is way more than I would want to put through the stock ESC. It is also more power than most of the 'normal' batteries would be comfortable delivering (1350mah x 25c).

I'm sure that the Lynx motor is a quality bit of kit, but in IMHO it is complete overkill on a 300x, and will require most people to need to upgrade their batteries, ESC and quite possibly the frame of their heli, it will also result in flight times that could be as low as 3 minutes, which for many people will be way too short - why could they not have produced a quality motor with a high kV but that had a sensible max power of say 300 ish watts?

David
v58fuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why have a hot rod when you can have a dragster, I believe this motor is aimed at the 3d pilot who wants peak performance not longer flight times, you can do a lot in 3 minutes if you can really fly, it can get exhausting.
terryv83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by v58fuy View Post
[...]

I'm sure that the Lynx motor is a quality bit of kit, but in IMHO it is complete overkill on a 300x, and will require most people to need to upgrade their batteries, ESC and quite possibly the frame of their heli, it will also result in flight times that could be as low as 3 minutes, which for many people will be way too short - why could they not have produced a quality motor with a high kV but that had a sensible max power of say 300 ish watts?

David
I have to disagree. I'm running my souped up 300X governed at 3700RPM, +/- 12.7 degrees pitch, 120% rates, and 0% expo - I still wish I could get more pop and faster roll rates out of it. I'm getting between 3:00 and 3:30 flight times with my flying style - if I can get 3:00+ out of it, I won't complain. I would probably consider the new EOX motor if it wasn't for the price factor (it should be noted that the price for the EOX motor has been dropped to $59.50). So I'm going to just leave my souped up 300X alone and try to get the most out of it's current configuration. I may end up souping up my other 300X with a motor like this one. Also, it's a given that anyone wanting to upgrade their motor to anything past a P2632 will probably need to upgrade their ESC. Battery "upgrades" aren't necessary unless you want longer flight times.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

What I don't understand is how they are claiming this 400w motor works with the stock 25a esc. Maybe I am missing something here???
Old 01-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not trying to minimize Luca's statement about the stock ESC compatibility since he's obviously the one selling the motor and doing the testing, but I know I certainly wouldn't run the EOX motor on the stock ESC. I don't doubt it would run on the stock ESC for a little while, but in doing so you'd basically be asking for a 300X Nitro to hatch out of the canopy with billowing clouds of smoke.

I believe the stock ESC's max capacity is 35A with an operating capacity of 25A; that's enough to run the EOX motor, but I'd expect some serious heat issues and eventual ESC failure in doing so.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

i see they have dropped the price already. i ended up paying full price. oh well.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by boofy View Post
i see they have dropped the price already. i ended up paying full price. oh well.
ask Luca for a refund on the difference. I don't think he would have any problem with it. You can contact him through PM here but better by submitting a ticket though Lynx website
Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nartac View Post
ask Luca for a refund on the difference. I don't think he would have any problem with it. You can contact him through PM here but better by submitting a ticket though Lynx website

not going to worry too much about it. lynx has been very good too me with orders in the past. i had placed an order without an extra part that i needed and placed another order within hours on the same day. they refunded the extra postage which i took as store credit on my next order. excellent customer service.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Think if you read my post again, you will see that I think Lynx for me is the best upgrade company for the 300x full stop.

But, with the exception of a very small number of people, the new motor is massive overkill for this heli - a 300/330W motor will allow you to do just about anything you like, and still retain a good deal of balance between power, flight times, and upgrade costs.

The stock heli is a plastic framed, plastic head design with 220W, a 25A ESC and stock batteries designed to maintain no more than around 33/35A for any length of time - is was never designed for 430W.

I agree a few people will upgrade their frame and head, buy the Lynx 40A ESC and get higher C rating batteries to cope with all that power, buy more batteries to cope with very short flight times - but then realise without all that power the heli would be too heavy.

The design if the motor looks excellent, but why oh why make it so powerful - was it to give many 300x owners a great alternative to the stock motor, or to have sales story over Scorpion and Hyperion.

David
v58fuy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Re: Look out Scorpion, there's a new purple motor in town

A motor esc combo converts electrical power(watts) to mechanical power(horsepower or watts pick your units) at some efficiency. That efficency varies by motor, esc & load. Proper gearing is to set load at an efficient area of the motor/esc design. With a setup thats 80% efficient rated at 400 input watts you can expect 320 watts of usable shaft output mechanical power. The other 80 watts doesnt disappear, it ends up as heat, air movement possibly from a fan or other non usable mechanical enrrgy like vibratiion.

So, two motors of similar weight(mass), the motor that can handle more power(watts) will generally be more efficient as the power rating is ultimately limited by the ability to disipate heat. The cooling fan power usage is the difficult variable to assess. Pumping more air takes more power while helping better disapte waste heat. So one would expect a motor with a bigger fan will be less efficient(wasting power to pump cooling air) while being able to handle more power.

The point being the motor with the higher power rating should be more efficient.

I dont put a lot of faith in mfgrs power rating as the methods used to arrive at those ratings varies by mfgr.

All this being said it appears Lynx has come up with a nice motor based on their specs. I'll wait to see how the motor works out in actual use. A given heli requires some amount of shaft/motor power to pull some headspeed at some pitch in a given dynamic situation. It doesnt matter what motor provides that power but our concern is how much powet pulled from the battery to produce that output power. It doesn't matter if you have a 220 or 400 watt motor when 100watts is used but the efficency at that load is the concern. Our other concern is what amount of max powet available. Is the new lynxmotor be the ultimate solution? We'll see but it is well spec'd.

sent without bling using "crappy" eflight electronics with 110% reliability.
Centurian is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The design if the motor looks excellent, but why oh why make it so powerful - was it to give many 300x owners a great alternative to the stock motor, or to have sales story over Scorpion and Hyperion.

David
Well it appears that some people wouldn't be happy no matter what Lynx released.
  • If you want a great alternative to the stock motor, buy a Parkfly P2632.
  • If you want more RPM/power, buy a Hyperion 2213 3585kV or Scorpion 2213 3585kV.
  • If you want even more RPM/power, buy a Typhoon 2215H 450H 3550kV.
  • If you want even more RPM/power, buy the new EOX motor.
It's not complicated. You already have a great alternative to the stock motor - that's the P2632. Why would Lynx want to release another "alternative" to the stock motor? They're an aftermarket hop-up parts company for goodness sake.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Think if you read my post again, you will see that I think Lynx for me is the best upgrade company for the 300x full stop.

But, with the exception of a very small number of people, the new motor is massive overkill for this heli - a 300/330W motor will allow you to do just about anything you like, and still retain a good deal of balance between power, flight times, and upgrade costs.

The stock heli is a plastic framed, plastic head design with 220W, a 25A ESC and stock batteries designed to maintain no more than around 33/35A for any length of time - is was never designed for 430W.

I agree a few people will upgrade their frame and head, buy the Lynx 40A ESC and get higher C rating batteries to cope with all that power, buy more batteries to cope with very short flight times - but then realise without all that power the heli would be too heavy.

David
I personally belive that you have touched on some very good points as to why Lynx may have developed this motor. And why I would "ultimately" want to pursue this motor also. Obviously the "Hop-Up" parts add more weight to the airframe. So one would naturally want to compensate for these up-grades with more power. And, "IRL" human technology has already surpassed the horsepower capabilities of the rotoray blade. Why not follow in those footsteps with this hobby? Thankfully, it's in our nature to constantly make improvements on our present technology. And you can say that these improvements are made soley for "bragging writes" if you want. But the consumer still benifits from the improvements.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM   #35 (permalink)
HF Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
Well it appears that some people wouldn't be happy no matter what Lynx released.
  • If you want more RPM/power, buy a Hyperion 2213 3585kV or Scorpion 2213 3585kV.
It's not complicated. You already have a great alternative to the stock motor - that's the P2632. Why would Lynx want to release another "alternative" to the stock motor? They're an aftermarket hop-up parts company for goodness sake.
I'm just waiting for Lynx to come out with a turbine jet engine for the 300X. Will that be available next week?
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #36 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
I checked the specs and it didn't look like it would fit. Can anyone confirm that it will fit?
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Why rag on Lynx for producing a product that they believe the consumer will want. That is what business is all about. Recognize or create a demand for a product or service, create that product or service, provide that product or service to the consumer at a price that you believe the consumer will be willing to pay. If not for this system, every one here would be unemployed.

As to why they think they need to put this product out when there are already so many out there, I ask a simple question. How many different aftermarket car products are out there that duplicate each other? I can buy 10 different headlight bulbs for my truck. Every one works. Some last better than others, some are brighter and some are less expensive. Give the consumer a choice, the information to go with that choice and let them decide if they want fries with that!

If you have no desire to purchase this motor, no one is forcing you. However, if you read the specs and are interested, give it a try. Those not interested may see it in actual use and eventually may want to try it themselves. Those that do try it, May or may not become disappointed in it. Until we get actual reports of the motor in actual use, it is all speculation.

The right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Psywarrior is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsonisms View Post
I'm just waiting for Lynx to come out with a turbine jet engine for the 300X. Will that be available next week?
Then we would all have to move over to the Nitro section.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeScraper View Post
I checked the specs and it didn't look like it would fit. Can anyone confirm that it will fit?
I've only run the Typhoon with the Lynx CF frame. I've never bothered checking to see how it fits in the stock frame. I kind of recall seeing a few folks here in the forum mention they had the Typhoon in the stock frame, but could be mistaken... It's a big motor regardless and won't fit with the Lynx Protos style canopies because they rub on it (at least with the Lynx frame). It runs great with a 14T pinion. Mine's governed at 3700RPM and is very difficult to bog.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #40 (permalink)

My HF Map location

which ESC?
BladeScraper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in