Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Simulators Support > RealFlight Flight Sim

RealFlight Flight Sim All versions of RealFlight Sim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Calibration in G3

For some reason my program is not saving the calibration for the controller. When I first got it it was fine. Then I decided to try out my 7C on it and ever since I have to recalibrate every time I start it. Anybody else experienced something like this? I e-mailed tech support and they were useless. So I decided to ask the experts.

I'm afraid to reinstall because I have all five addons and the expansion pack plus a lot of other mods in it and I don't want to reinstall everything if I don't have to.
zooland1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2006, 03:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

My HF Map location

The calibration settings are written out to the RealFlight.ini file. If those settings aren't getting saved, then there might be an issue with that file. You might just try renaming it to see if the problem goes away.

Travis
vitek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I was on the Knife edge forum today and read that some people had the same problem. The deal is after calibrating, the "finish" button is greyed out. That explains why I can't save the settings, because I never even realized there was a button there! Being grey I didn't notice it. Knife Edge's response was to ignore the question. The original posts were back in April and were never responded to. Go figure. A software company with no answers as to why something doesn't work!!!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Funny, I work for Knife Edge and I'm here answering your question. I don't recall every seeing your post on our forums either. No matter.

When you are on the calibration screen, do you see the progress bars move with your stick inputs? The OK button should be enabled after some stick movement is detected. If you don't move the sticks, or you managed to get into the calibration dialog without an active controller device.

Maybe you could give me the list of steps that you use to reproduce the problem. Then I can use that to find out what is wrong with the software or what you are doing that is different.

Travis
Old 06-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

I e-mailed tech support with my problem because the forum won't let me authenticate my registration (I have written twice asking where in the heck the in-box where my authentification is supposed to be is). But two other people had posted back in April that they were having problems and there was no response. I came across the posts when I was perusing the forums the other night.

My procedure is as follows:
click controller
click calibrate
center all sticks and trims as directed, including the knob
move both sticks back and forth, up and down. around and around
all four axis' always show zero when I'm done
click finish (I guess I did have that all along and just forgot)
then I fly or do whatever I want (as long as I don't close the program)

However if for any reason I close the program, the next time I start it, (especially noticeable if I was flying a helicopter as my last model) the throttle will always act like I'm at mid stick and the heli will just take off and usually fly to the left and back. If I had a plane as my last model it just takes off. The only way to fly is to calibrate again.

It saves my models, airfields, any other misc. settings, but won't save the calibration.

I don't know if it makes a difference. I'm using a Dell Latitude 610 with intel pci express graphics. I have not tried it on another computer simply because this is the computer I intend to use it on. While we're on the sbject of the laptop. I have no shadows or textures while I'm flying. Which is also really annoying since I have no way to judge how close to the ground I am. I am running at 1400x1050 (32 bit) resolution. Setting the graphics lower in the program has no effect and as far as I know, my graphics are fully capable of handling this program. I have upgraded all my drivers and even the bios since I got G3.

Don't get me wrong, I really like G3. The photofields are awesome and the plane design features are really an improvement over G2. It's just a real pain to have to reset everything every time I want to fly. I know you hear this all the time, so why not once more. "I never had this problem in G2"
Old 06-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, I just found on the knife Edge forum that you apparently can't resolve issues with intel cards. Although my specific card is not listed it falls in line with the 915 G series, so I guess I'm screwed as far as getting my graphics to work unless somebody figures out what the issue is and comes up with a solution. Which kinda burns me since I usually use the sim while I'm away from home. Aside from the fact I already sold G2. That still doesn't explain the calibration problem, though.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

I happened to talk to tech support today while calling for an issue a friend was having. I told him about the deal with the calibration not "sticking" and he suggested going to the data folder and deleting all the ADJ (I think that's right ) files. Guess what, we have lift off. Or should I say the lack thereof. He also told me I'm basicly screwed as far as getting shadows on my laptop. The configuration I ordered originally for my laptop was never installed. I thought something was fishy when the forum said there was a conflict with shared video. Sure enough, after two hours with Dell's techies they confirmed that my laptop had the wrong motherboard and video installed. I paid an extra $120 for unshared video and my card is integrated. So now I get to deal with them. They basicly have agreed to correct the error, but I still will have to pay for shipping the laptop in. I guess I can handle that.

So I guess I can be grateful in a way for running into this situation.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Deleting the .adj file is supposed be a solution for a crash on startup. I have no idea how that would solve your problem. It is more likely that the problem was with the .ini file. Maybe they had you do a Restore Defaults. That would clean up a problem configuration file.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear that your problems are being figured out.

Travis
Old 06-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

On a personal note: does your handle have anything to do with czech heritage. My boss's wifes maiden name is Vit and she said Vitek is a common derivative. When she saw your name she wanted me to ask you. Also, we have a very good friend who lives in Corvallis. She is always looking for a good freind who speaks the language.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Yes, my last name is Vitek. Sadly, that is about the only thing I know about my family history and the czech language.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

I talked to two people at Knife Edge today trying to resolve my forum activation. Never did get an e-mail but at least got authenticated and am able to use it now. I tried your extension first but didn't want voice-mail so I just tried the first one. Anyway, everything is working and they both said you were a "good guy". Appreciate your help.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Sorry that I didn't take your call... If I answered half of the technical support type calls that come to my desk, I'd never get any work done. If you leave a message I'm usually pretty good about calling back.

Travis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in