Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the clarification. Guess I will have to wait and get a castle link.

I only need to set a flat line throttle curve to give a set headspeed. So frustrating having to wait (great weather at the moment). I think Castle should make this requirement clearer for us Helifreaks. Rant rant.....

Cheers for the advice mate,

Nick
nickyd is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

Georgi, can we get this stickied in the FAQ?
Some good info there.
Cascade is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Sk 720

ICE72???
what is your average videration durring piros with that tape, plate, tape, plate, tape, tape, set up?
jeraldw.walker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

Zorax,
My Castle link works on a 64bit OS.
TT E-620 SE x 2: Scorpion 4025-740 200srx, nano qx JR Parkmites x 2
Jamesppp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesppp View Post
Zorax,
My Castle link works on a 64bit OS.
It's possible that Castle is updating the firmware now prior to sending them to retailers. Even though I bought my ICE 100 recently, it hadn't yet had the firmware update to allow 64 bit. I just posted what needs to be done (XP or Vista 32-bit) if someone has the same problem I did with old firmware on the CastleLink USB connector.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you have the newer model castle link....? It s been around probably2 years or so though
Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesppp View Post
Do you have the newer model castle link....? It s been around probably2 years or so though
Sorry - I have no idea as to whether it is a "newer" model Castle Link. I ordered it from a large internet heli retailer who I assume sold me a relatively new product from Castle Creations.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

Older one of mine has a green circuit board and a fixed 3 conductor wire w/ pins.

Newer one is gold colored andno wire. Pins are attached to the board
Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I followed the instructions below, they are very clear and helpful thanks. However I still can't get the ESC to arm. I hooked up the ESC to a separate traditional rx and it arms and works fine, so it's not a problem with the ESC (Ice2 80HV)

It really seems to be something to do with endpoints, but after following these instructions I still didn't get it armed - any idea what I could try next?

Equipment:
DX7
SK720 and SK powerbus
Spek sats
CC Ice2 80HV

Another question - from watching the powerbus vid in this thread by gmacallister, it seems that the bus does not regulate voltage at all? If so why is there a HV and a LV side? Everything I have is LV, so is it safe for me to run 7.4V into the powerbus and then use the LV side of the powerbus for servos?

Thanks
Ant

Edit: I'm not trying to use gov at this point - would be happy with just fixed endpoints and run throttle curves, so gov in SK and CC are both disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceccleston View Post
I'll keep this short and easy to follow.

1 - Within your DX8 ensure you have a linear throttle from 0-100%.

2 - Within your DX8 set both throttle end points to 150%.

3 - Within the Skookum software set your idle and max throttle limits. The Skookum will no longer limit the throttle so it will now pass 150% output to Castle Creations ESC.

4 - Within your DX8 set both throttle end points to 50%.

5 - Within the Castle Link software, ensure the ESC is setup in heli mode, fixed end points with auto-rotation enabled.

6 - Continue Castle Creations ESC setup to calibrated both low and high throttle end points with your DX8.

7 - Setup throttle hold within your DX8.

7 - Once the throttle end points have been calibrated, within the Skookum software, reset the idle value with throttle hold on and set maximum throttle with throttle hold off.

8 - Within Castle Link, setup the ESC governor.

NOTE - The Skookum governor can NOT be used until Castle Creations release their new digital phase sensor and firmware to support external governors.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

OK, sorted out the main problem - something I read afterwards said that the LV side of the powerbus is not powered unless you use the jumper or have a BEC input onto that side. I was powering from the heavy gauge leads coming in and not using the jumper. As soon as I put a separate LV feed into that side of the powerbus, I was able to set the endpoints just fine.

Cheers,
Ant
Old 05-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

AusAnt

Ignore the pm i sent you. I thought you were powering the low voltage side of the bus with 2s power
I see you are not
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No problem, thanks anyhow - better safe than sorry...

I used a 4 cell nicad rx pack into the LV side for the test I did above.

I'm still learning how this system actually works - for some reason when I did the setup I wasn't clear that a standard BEC input through a servo connector could be used, so I have been using a 2s pack at storage charge through the heavy gauge wires. I was thinking I was going to have to cut the two servo connectors off the two sets of leads from the BEC and splice them together onto a Deans connector and connect to the heavy gauge wire inputs on the powerbus.

Now I'm getting the impression that I could just use the servo connector leads from the BEC (I have two leads) and in this case plug one into the HV and one into the LV side of the powerbus into an unused port - is that all that is needed?

Cheers,
Ant
Old 05-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Need help!!!

Hey fellas,

Need help with my 6hv, motor vibes to be exact.

Logs can be found here: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=420212

Looking for some ideas.

Thanks,

AJ
aja1216 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default sensor fusion

Real good insight on the sensors that we are finding more and more in common use in this hobby. The whole presentation is quite good, but you can skip the intro if you like and start at about the 8:00 minute mark. This is where he startes going into detail on the individual sensors - gyros, compass', accelerometers....etc...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7JQ7Rpwn2k&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Last edited by Silverexpress01; 08-25-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Silverexpress01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #95 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i hope someones still watching this thread! I need a question answered please!

I just setup 80HV and a sk540. The 80HV was already in use with a CGY750 without issue. So i change over to Skookum and now have no throttle. My search brings me to this thread and it all sounds great...im going through the motions, but did not get very far. I set my endpoints to the max value in the Transmitter, then plug in the sk540 and save the max and idle throttle. ESC arms immediately and seems to be working fine.throttle responds to linear throttle curve and Gov mode. I noticed an issue with the main gear that i need to address, so i have not flown yet to see if everything performs normally, but it appears to be working. My endpoint settings are still at max values. My question is, do i need to change anything, like lower the endpoints, or am i good to go? Using Futaba 8fg and sbus setup.

Thanks for reading!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #96 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Once you have set your throttle endpoints, are you removing the USB cable from the 540 to take it out of programming mode?

The SK has a safety lockout where throttle will not work when it is in programming mode / plugged in.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #97 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusAnt View Post
Once you have set your throttle endpoints, are you removing the USB cable from the 540 to take it out of programming mode?

The SK has a safety lockout where throttle will not work when it is in programming mode / plugged in.
yes, when i say no throttle or throttle responds i mean i have it disconnected and its not working
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #98 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Stuck doing throttle end points with CC ICE

I've read the posts that show doing +/- 150% on SK throttle, then back to +/- 50% or less, then powering the CC ESC to incr. until it beeps to set high and low throttle.
I'm also aware the SK720 needs to be unplugged from the USB to give out the thr signal. The ESC gives an initial red flicker and beeps, led goes out, and no response to moving Tx thr end points right up to 150%. I tried starting from a lower % but still nothing.
My SK720 (V 3.02) is connected to a power bus (all cables in place) and the power bus on a 6v BEC only has the ESC cable (red wire removed) attached plus the link to provide 6v on both sides.
CC is updated to firmware 4.02

I'm correct in assuming the the "Link" unit does not need to be attached? Actually I tried this and the LED on the ESC flickered continuously but still no result.

I don't intend to run the governer on either the ESC or SK at this stage.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #99 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all,
Can I ask you one question, do you leave the end points in your tx at 150 after this is all done ? Or do you set them back to 100.
taszo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #100 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceccleston View Post
I'll keep this short and easy to follow.

1 - Within your DX8 ensure you have a linear throttle from 0-100%.

2 - Within your DX8 set both throttle end points to 150%.

3 - Within the Skookum software set your idle and max throttle limits. The Skookum will no longer limit the throttle so it will now pass 150% output to Castle Creations ESC.

4 - Within your DX8 set both throttle end points to 50%.

5 - Within the Castle Link software, ensure the ESC is setup in heli mode, fixed end points with auto-rotation enabled.

6 - Continue Castle Creations ESC setup to calibrated both low and high throttle end points with your DX8.

7 - Setup throttle hold within your DX8.

7 - Once the throttle end points have been calibrated, within the Skookum software, reset the idle value with throttle hold on and set maximum throttle with throttle hold off.

8 - Within Castle Link, setup the ESC governor.

NOTE - The Skookum governor can NOT be used until Castle Creations release their new digital phase sensor and firmware to support external governors.
Hi if you are still in this thread !!, can you tell me if when instructions followed I now leave the end points at 150 or do I move them back to 100
taszo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in