Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > FMA/Revolectrix Product Support

FMA/Revolectrix Product Support FMA/Revolectrix Factory Product Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default In case you missed it...Wireless CCS!

Hi:

On September 30, 2014, we sent out an email campaign with a link to a Technical Document with step-by-step instructions on how to use your Wireless LAN to operate a Windows PC running Charge Control Softwares from any SmartPhone or Tablet. Meant to start a thread here at the same time, but forgot. My apologies.

http://www.revolectrix.com/new_appli...t09.30.14.html
Tim Marks is offline        Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks for your post. I had not heard about this. I'm sure many people will find this very handy.

I read through the PDF and did see one thing mentioned that goes against the generally accepted wisdom of not leaving your batteries unattended while charging: Your friend with the Mac charging batteries in the basement while watching TV upstairs on the couch. His tablet or phone screen is going to timeout while his batteries could be going up in smoke. Just sayin'.

I have my PL6 connected to a laptop on a table six feet from my office desk where I spend most of my time. I can usually hear it beep over the TV and can lean around my monitor and see my packs. For over a year now, I have been using Windows Remote Desktop from my main computer to my laptop running the CCS application and it works great. I'm running a dual monitor setup and can have the laptop's desktop on one monitor even windowed if I want and do my other stuff on my other screen. I can watch the graph and charging numbers, check IR etc., without having to get up except to change packs. I could also do this from my phone but wouldn't want to leave my charging packs out of sight or not be in the same room at least.

Since you have so many other caveats and warnings in your PDF and a remote control solutions kind of unties you from a computer, it facilitates breaking the "never leave your packs unattended while charging" rule so maybe you should add that in for folks lacking in common sense?

I work in IT and more or less know what I'm doing but technically, I could put a battery on the charger, run up to Starbucks with my phone, connect to their Wi-FI and remote into my laptop running CCS while sipping a latte. This would really be bad.

--Elisabeth

PS
I don't go to Starbucks and most of my charging cycles are done in 18 to 20 minutes. I do love my PowerLab 6 though!
Gaui X2 & X5- MKS,Scorpion, Castle and lotsa good stuff
2 FrankenHeli 450s, Axe 100SS, Futaba
EKron is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice job Tim, I've personally used Logmein Free when it was available to monitor from where ever I was and other programs. Teamview works as well.

That being said we would much prefer to have it native in the charger via WiFi or Bluetooth (WiFi preferred) but you have already commented on this in your PDF.

Just be careful and don't go the route of products like GS911 (its a product for diagnostics of BMW motorcycles). They released a "WiFi" version and a full IOS app but it was a total joke. The IOS app is imply a disguised web browser that displays the crippled built in web page of the little WiFi adapter they used. I don't know how it made it past Apple's screeners that make sure IOS programs are actually USEFUL and utilize a proper UI.

I believe the newer IOS Bluetooth implementations finally let you talk to devices raw but not 100% sure. There must be some way of doing it as other companies are already doing it.

Failing that, create a good and useful WiFi app.

Cheers
Tim
RCHN #63 C.W.B
Thorvald is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKron View Post
Thanks for your post. I had not heard about this. I'm sure many people will find this very handy.

I read through the PDF and did see one thing mentioned that goes against the generally accepted wisdom of not leaving your batteries unattended while charging: Your friend with the Mac charging batteries in the basement while watching TV upstairs on the couch. His tablet or phone screen is going to timeout while his batteries could be going up in smoke. Just sayin'.

I have my PL6 connected to a laptop on a table six feet from my office desk where I spend most of my time. I can usually hear it beep over the TV and can lean around my monitor and see my packs. For over a year now, I have been using Windows Remote Desktop from my main computer to my laptop running the CCS application and it works great. I'm running a dual monitor setup and can have the laptop's desktop on one monitor even windowed if I want and do my other stuff on my other screen. I can watch the graph and charging numbers, check IR etc., without having to get up except to change packs. I could also do this from my phone but wouldn't want to leave my charging packs out of sight or not be in the same room at least.

Since you have so many other caveats and warnings in your PDF and a remote control solutions kind of unties you from a computer, it facilitates breaking the "never leave your packs unattended while charging" rule so maybe you should add that in for folks lacking in common sense?

I work in IT and more or less know what I'm doing but technically, I could put a battery on the charger, run up to Starbucks with my phone, connect to their Wi-FI and remote into my laptop running CCS while sipping a latte. This would really be bad.

--Elisabeth

PS
I don't go to Starbucks and most of my charging cycles are done in 18 to 20 minutes. I do love my PowerLab 6 though!
Hi Elisabeth:

Thanks for the feedback! You make some excellent points. My Tech Document may be considered a working document. At some point soon, I think I'll take your advice and reinforce the "never charge unattended" rule. For my purposes, I often charge in my basement and monitor from my family room; however, I have the batteries contained in a metal tool box lined with drywall which is not flammable sitting on a concrete slab without much nearby to aid a potential ignition. LiPo batteries are not something with which one should take chances to be sure. I also have a smoke detector installed precisely over the top of this setup. But you are totally correct in saying I should not assume others who read the tech doc would have the appropriate level of common sense or even basic knowledge of such things.
Tim Marks is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, I do the cement block with sandbags on top method. Works great and auto-extinguishes if flames ever came out :-)

I still only charge when I am around but this at least lets me keep an eye while doing other things. Loving it so far.

Tim
RCHN #63 C.W.B
Thorvald is offline        Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

While this is "neat" I'd hardly consider it to be worthwhile. What I would consider needed is an Android compatible CCS and support for wireless dongles via USB connection (could also add support for storage to "save" data to). Personally I'd be happier taking a $100 tablet to the field for programming/monitoring my charging over a laptop. My home charging is primarily to ensure a correct storage charge, updating firmware, or adding settings. Otherwise it's not useful to me.

I see more of a demand for an Android CCS app and serial to bluetooth adapters that allow connection of bluetooth devices. If you're making an adapter anyway then it would make sense to add bluetooth/wireless as there are MANY chipsets that handle both.
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in