Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > Belt CP

Belt CP E-Sky Belt CP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by copterboy View Post
I recommend hold out for the PRO with a Torque Tube tail, spend a little more on the belt to get some more experience and better electronics to transfer over later.
Really? I was trying to stick to a belt as it is more forgiving. You think a torque tube is ok as long as I don't mind replacing the gears often.

You know, at this moment, my time is much more improtant than the cash. I'm working a lot, young kids etc. I'd rather spend $250 and have less hassle than $100 and hours of messing around. I want to spend my time flying - I've got plenty of other things to fix! The Aligns are still too much though.

So I started looking at something like this.http://www.oomodel.com/tarot-450-pro...o-p-61832.html
I think this is a good compromise, I'm a bit nervous about the flybarless system but I can see the benefits. Does the flybarless gyro give you an 'unfair' advantage in that it makes the heli more stable?? I suspect this is not true it just flys nicer.

I haven't flow the belt this week - I found the feathering shaft is bent.
McBrain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dude, that is a good find. I had a look round and found a tarot 450PRO V2 FB for sale at $290, and I think it only included ESC/motor. That looks the complete package.

What I mean is, if it's going to take you 6 months to save $250, then it's worth another $50 on the belt now, to give it more stability and reliability for time it takes you to save and get the new one.

I would do some reasearch on the controller and see what the reputation of those are. If they are hit and miss, then you could soon find yourself needing a new FBL unit. I would read up on that next, before pulling the trigger. But other than that it looks a good deal.

Both my 450 and 600 are still flybarred, so would ask others to chip in with any advice you asked for about the difference in how to handle FB and FBL.

BTW, I can't remember you saying before, do you intend to do 3D in future, or will you be more scale flying with some mild aerobatics?
TRex600N, Kasama Head, OS50SX
copterboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by copterboy View Post
Having a better heli, won't suddenly make you a better pilot...
You mean I was just deceiving myself all this time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBrain View Post
So I started looking at something like this.http://www.oomodel.com/tarot-450-pro...o-p-61832.html
I think this is a good compromise, I'm a bit nervous about the flybarless system but I can see the benefits.
I second Denis here: a good find, don't think more about it, just get it. Couple of guys in my club fly Tarot ZYX fbl system, and it performs reliably, at least for a decent sports flying.

Quote:
Does the flybarless gyro give you an 'unfair' advantage in that it makes the heli more stable?? I suspect this is not true it just flys nicer.
Bullshit. Don't worry about old wives' stories, they're just that, stories. I'm flying both fbl and fb, and with fb heli set-up perfectly and no wind, there is no difference at all, they fly the same. The difference becomes apparent when the wind picks up: the fb heli will become jumpy very quickly while fbl gyro will allow your heli to be more resistant to external influences. Has nothing to do with stabilization or bailout, it's an increased consistency of behavior.
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
jperkosk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

I checked out the FBL controller, seems to get a good wrap.

I have gone with the Tarot 450 pro v2 FBL, <$300 (Australian dollars) delivered. That includes a few spares such as blades tail drive gears, boom, etc.

Thanks for helping me spend my money! (don't tell my wife).
Old 05-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Thanks for helping me spend my money! (don't tell my wife).
It's practically our trademark

Congratulations, good find and buy Please keep us updated on the build and maiden, otherwise we spent your money for nothing
Trex 700N Pro fbl, 600N Pro x 2, 450SE v1, 250 v2 fbl, Compass 6HV fbl, Blade 450x, 400, 300x, 130x, mCPx, 120SR, mQx, mSR, Rotor Concepts HPQ1, Walkera CB180Q, CB100, Novus FP, CP, Esky Hunter, Big Lama.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:22 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I was going to jump in and point out how much I dislike the Pro frame, (contrary to all the other guys here probably). It's too narrow and difficult to work on. Mounting components is a PITA and putting it in a scale fuse is a 'mare.

But seeing as you have already bought one, I won't mention it.....

Seriously, it's not that bad, even for a dooms merchant like me. I have a personal preference for tthe SE V2 frame, but it is only a preference. I fly scale and from that point of view, the SE V2 frame is just a little easier to work on than the Pro when in a fuse....but it is marginal - the real restriction is the fact that it is in a fuse in the first place.

I have many flying buddies who love their Pro, so I'm sure you will too. The bottom line is that you were trying to pick from a range of helis that if you gave them scores out of 10, they would all be rating 9. something.....none of them were a bad choice (except the Belt...that comes in at an below average 6.2....although it ranks higher in the RTF range, coz there aren't many...lol).
Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 AM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 Let us know how you get on. A build thread would be nice if you have the time

& @Jerry - Yes, so was I

I can appreciate what you mean Luke, as the difference between V2 and PRO is what I had to get used to. On the PRO, it is easier to pull a whole section out and work on it away from the frame, or just pull a whole frame side off as was recommended to me. The V2, it seems you have to dig down a bit to remove smaller parts before you can get to the bit you need, so i can see that being an advantage on a scale build. Pulling the bigger sections out of a scale mounted PRO frame might be more of a PITA than a V2, but must be marginal.

Still, good to hear you pulled the trigger McB. I'm sure you'll love it, and then as your flying progresses and you get it nicely dialled, you won't have to upgrade to a new one, just re-programme the controller to be quicker, then you'll love it even more. A big investment, but you'll just have to trust our experience that you have saved time and money in the long term. You can always tell the wife you were saving time and money for the family, so you were thinking of them first I'm sure there is a whole thread on what to tell the wife somewhere too And if you do find any sub-standard parts on it, as its still a clone (A softer f.shaft or notchy bearing for example), then at least you know they can be replaced with easily available align parts. And those parts will be available for a good time, as you have the latest design. Your well futureproofed

Nice
Old 05-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I'm happy with that decision. I want to keep flying the Esky belt until I get a bit more competent and then start with the Tarot. It's going to be difficult o fly the belt with the Tarot sitting there ready. I'll just take my time with the build.

If I get time I'll do a build thread and also do a review of the supplier oomodel.com.

Now, Copterboy. It was you that wanted to buy my Esky Belt off me wasn't it?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I want to keep flying the Esky belt until I get a bit more competent and then start with the Tarot.
Wrong premise, McB. Just fly the Belt until the Tarot is ready for maiden. Then continue your flight practice on Tarot, and use Belt as a shelf decoration, works better in that role.

Quote:
Now, Copterboy. It was you that wanted to buy my Esky Belt off me wasn't it?
Do you really think any of us here could be fooled into buying the Belt twice?
Oh wait, didn't I use to own two Belts at one time?
I'll rephrase then: "Do you really think any of us here could be fooled into buying the Belt again?
Old 05-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperkosk View Post
Oh wait, didn't I use to own two Belts at one time?

Yup, same here....
Although I gotta say, with turnbuckle links, they did both fly perfectly well for general sport scaley type stuff. But yeah...2 of them....sheesh....
Old 05-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

I ordered the Tarot from oomodel in China last Wednesday, it arrived here in Australia on Tuesday!

Pretty happy with that.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

I won't post in this thread anymore as it's off topic, but a quick update on progress:

Well there has been zero flying since that first Esky Belt flight. After that I realized that there was way too much slop in the head and the thing just wasn't straight.

I went ahead and built The Tarot 450 Pro V2 and finally got it completed and running today. I wasn't sure if everything was setup perfectly but I maidened it anyway - I need not have worried!

The best thing I did was cut my losses and get the Tarot, it's a completely different thing. Smooth, no vibration, really stable. I could have wasted months trying to get the Esky right, but I had one flight with the taro today and it was fantastic!

It's not perfect yet - I was flying it on rate mode because there was a fast tail wag on HH, I also had the motor 'skipping' a bit like there was a bad connection to the motor or something, but these can be adjusted for the next flight.

Next step is to get plenty of flying time under my belt.

Hopefully some nubes can learn from my experiences.

[ame]http://youtu.be/a0rykG26X5w[/ame]
Old 06-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congratulations! Looked good there.

She'll fly even nicer without the training gear and out of ground effect.
Don't think it will be long before you pull it. Sim time definitely pulled it off for you.

A well set up heli is so much easier to learn to fly with.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Beautiful, you're doing quite alright
Don't feel restricted too much from posting in this forum in the future, we live by the rule "if it started in any way related to Belt CP, then it belongs in this forum" which takes us through quite interesting range of topics.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very happy for you McBrain. I can tell from your words that you love it already

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you got on. I love it when a plan comes together lol
Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks
Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

def time to dump the training gear as you are well past needing them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in