Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default APS and Semi Symetrical Blades

Hi All,

I’ve been getting my Trex550set up with an 3GX and APS and although it’s been a real pain in heli getting it set up now it’s working I really happy with the way it holds it’s own even in 20mph + winds

I’m currently toying with the idea of fitting it out with some semi symmetrical blades to try and improve flight duration.

I understand from other posts that this should enable me to run a lower head speed and get better endurance and probably reduce vibes for aerial photography applications.

Has anyone had any experience setting this up, so far the choice of blades seems to be spin semi symmetrical 515mm or 550mm blades.

Assuming I keep with a 6s set up what would be the gear reduction I would need for each of these options and how would I deal with the positive lift at 0 degrees issue with the APS unit.

Many thanks in advance for any advice anyone could offer.

Regards

Ross
Rossmans is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Semi symmetrical blades will give you more lifting capabilities at a lower HS.
As to vibration reduction... this will depend on how well the CG of the blades match up and the overall balance of the set used.

Concerning the amount of lift you'll have @ 0*, this will depend on how much weight/payload you will have on the helicopter.

Can not comment on spin blades, never tried them due to the fact they do not make them is the sizes I use.

But SAB blades have proven to be a good choice on a 900 and 1000 AP setups I fly.

Running 12S 10,000mA pack setup flight duration is well pass the 30 minute mark with a HS under 950.

As to lifting capabilities, I have slung a 30 lb lead weight and flown with it, drawing 40A.

1000E Lifting test (1 min 25 sec)

On the flip side..
If building exotics is not your cup of tea...
It is quite easy to get extended flight time (15 minutes) out of a basic stock setup on 12S.
This is a 600 class running a HS around 1,500...
with the correct gearing and GOV setup it does well.
HeliCommand RIGID Pod & Boom test (17 min 22 sec)

nightflyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in