Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 3s and ESC, daft questions?

Hi all

Do you really need a 60A esc for 3S? Looking at the specs of the various kits, but thinking about the bare airframe. Thinking about retiring one of my other 450's, treating myself to the new Mini P. Would like to use most of the radio gear from the Trex, servos gyro etc.

I know most will say 4s, and most will be looking at 3d. I'm interested in a 3S setup, and just a few lazy 8's, gentle flying. That's no disrespect for those who 3d by the way, just my level of flying

Interested in the thoughts from those who have the new min P. Would you expect similar flight times?

Cheers

Peter
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Peter, mine isn't flying yet so this is mostly based on past experience and speculation.
Most of the guys flying thus far seem to be using the 16T pinion and high headspeed for short (4 min) high-powered flights.

The Mini P will be a bit harder on the power system than other helis this size because of the gearing. Having only a 120T main gear, it is at a slight mechanical disadvantage compared to the Trex 150T main gear so the motor has to work a little harder.

I suspect if you fitted it with the 14T pinion, the Scorpion 2580kv motor (or similar) you could get 6 minute flights at a reasonable headspeed with a 3S 2200 pack. Equipped thusly, you probably don't need a 60A ESC. A Castle ICE Lite 50 would work great, and for gentle flying you could probably get by with a 35A or 40A ESC.

Hope that helps! I can say thus far in the build it's been a joy.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheers Chris

Might just part with my 450 pro as well, to a guy in the club, invest in one of these.

Pete
Old 12-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It's been a very enjoyable build so far. The parts quality is top notch, and (like its big brother) it is just a damn clever design.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, go with a big Scorpion motor...the gearing will mess with a motor that has a smaller stator then the Scorpion 2221 line. Current draw will actually be less running a Scorpion in this application compared to the common 'efficiency' type of motor.

Currently my Protos is set up with the Scorpion 2221 2010kv motor with 14T, 2250 headspeed, and 8.5 minutes on the timer. I'll either leave it as-is, or move up to the 16T pinion for 2500 headspeed depending on how the mini-Vbar likes it in wind (winter is really getting in the way here, only indoor flying for me now). Running a CC35 and CCBEC on mine.
SidewaysLS4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine is FBL (Total-G), running a Scorpion -12 (2580kv) w/ the standard 16t pinion. I am running the CC ICE Lite 50 ESC in governor mode at 2700rpm. I am running TP 3S 2600mAh packs and it is drawing just 11 amps / 125 watts / 76% power now that it has a few flights on it. I don't fly 3D and currently have my timer set for 8 minutes which gives me plenty of reserve on the packs.
rablett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheers all, all advice noted

Next club night, sale on lol. See if I can move a bit, go for a mini Protos!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No need for 4S, even with the most aggressive style out there, 3S in 45+C fashion gets it done and then some. A year ago, sure there was an advantage going 4S, now days not so much really.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in