Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

since the problem seems to be with a nx4 batch of sliders, maybe buying a X5 slider (208369) would be the way to go, its the same exact part from a different batch. I have not heard of any problems with the X5 slider, and there is likely more stress on the slider when used on the X5 do to larger tail blades which would most might induce more load on said slider. So the slider in question is sound. just a small batch was assembles incorrectly at the factory from the sounds of things.

Might be an option?
akamullen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by caralmar View Post
I knew this pitch slider problem sounded familiar. The X5 forum folks have the same problem:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=310904
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=315891

Can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet!

Carlos.
Nope X5 has had this issue too.

tauseef
Old 01-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I did not remember those posts, I have not seen this or heard of it happening, those posts are about a year and a half ago and it seems that only 3-4 guys in the forums had an issue back then, it was probably the same over tightening from the factory. I would say all the new X5 sliders are most likely fine. But the best coarse of action from the factory would be to NOT assemble the bag of parts, leave the slider disassembled and let the consumer build the slider assembly.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default better part

The Raptor 30/50 slide works great.just gotta grind it a little shorter at the big end..I'm sure you guys allready figured that out ..so jus throwin that out there ...oh ya i ground ghe butt end of the part the slide threads into down a bit also ......
Allincrazyforit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default slider

I admit i tourcq it a little but just POPPED!!
The metal is just to thin..and it's not so much the outside diameter of the slide but but the inside diameter of what the slide fit into,,, leaving no choice but to decrease thickness of the wall of the slide in order to still be able to fit on to the shaft but I'm still loving this heli .
Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by akamullen View Post
I did not remember those posts, I have not seen this or heard of it happening, those posts are about a year and a half ago and it seems that only 3-4 guys in the forums had an issue back then, it was probably the same over tightening from the factory. I would say all the new X5 sliders are most likely fine. But the best coarse of action from the factory would be to NOT assemble the bag of parts, leave the slider disassembled and let the consumer build the slider assembly.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks Dave. I have a spare in my X5 parts bin. I will be sure and use the X5 slider on my build just to be safe.
As far as X5's go I've had mine for close to 18 months now and in the beginning I had the dreaded beastx flop from the tape, after that was fixed it has flown flawlessly for many many flights with zero mechanical issues and I know of quite a few folks around here with X5's and no one that I can think of has had any slider issues with there X5's.
Just my thoughts on this issue
JETI USA
www.MSHUSA.com, www.MSheli.com
mamartin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just bought two new NX4 pitch sliders. I already destroyed one trying to check it for the issue. Are the NX5 versions immune to the failures?
I tried to go the TRex 600 route and wasn't satisfied with the fit.
I flew two tanks today on the original pitch slider - I was sweating the whole time even though it was 39 degrees out. No failures today.
I just wish I could get a stock part that I was confident in or a third party( KDE? ) upgrade.
I love flying this heli and it worked great for flying in a baseball field or soccer field. Now I only feel safe flying at a real RC field and I rarely have time to make it there.

-GN
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flying a heli with the thought of when a known part is/might break is disconcerting.

I wish Gaui and Bobby would comment in THIS thread. This is the thread which Needs his attention.

We don't need the bing parts just yet, we want a new pitch slider material.

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauscnc View Post
Flying a heli with the thought of when a known part is/might break is disconcerting.

I wish Gaui and Bobby would comment in THIS thread. This is the thread which Needs his attention.

We don't need the bing parts just yet, we want a new pitch slider material.

tauseef
www.cuttingedgecnc.com
Agreed. I don't know whether to take mine apart or just fly it. Either way I am going to be concerned of it breaking in flight. I feel for those it has broke on and the expense is out of there pocket to make all the repairs. In reality it wasn't there fault.
joallen001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If it makes anyone feel better. I flew my original pitch slider for 12 flights before I crashed the model. I had to replace the output shaft (not the pitch assembly) and it's been fine for at least 20 more flights so far.

My X5 is on its second tail in a year (replaced due to a crash) with no issues. I can't even begin to guess the number of flights.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just got word from gaui by email that there is recall. Here is the response

Thanks a lot for your mail and information.

Recently we found this problem, and already sent a official announcement for recall of tail pitch slider to our distributors.

Would you please contact the dealer/distributor you bought the unit for replacing your tail pitch slider?

Thanks and best regards,
joallen001 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

What kind of response is that? Should the part be replaced or not? If so, with what? I don't care if it is free or if I got to buy it. In all honesty, I forgot about the pitch slider after the second gallon. It is mostly this thread that keeps my nerves on edge. Don't get the wrong idea, I'd be pissed if mine augered into the ground. I guess an official response is all I am after.

Glenn
Glenn Goodlett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default recall

Recall means recall I dont ghink it a riddle. I got mine from heliproz so im going to call heli proz for my new part. And like any ofher RECALL i expect it will be replaced.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default slider bushing

Why cant they just give out the part # for the brass bushing and let us install our own? Does anyone have a part # for the bushing?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongler View Post
Why cant they just give out the part # for the brass bushing and let us install our own? Does anyone have a part # for the bushing?
As far as I know there is no part number for just the bushing. At this time they do not offer the brass collar/bushing for the slider separately.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just had this same exact failure yesterday on my fairly new X5. Maybe 2.5 months old. 132 flights @ 6m each. approx 13 flight hours. How many flights / flight hours would most of you account before the failure? I was very lucky compared to some others, or so it appears. I felt a odd inconsistency in the heli while trying to do funnels. Then i felt it twitch. When it started to spin a little later i managed to throttle cut and AR to the ground safely. But this could have been very expensive if it violently let loose. I don't know if the recall pertains to me or what it will solve. New spare part maybe? I will be contacting the distributor i purchased my X5 from. (clubheli).

The slider broke in the same spot as others.

Gaui X5 - Flight 132 - Tail pitch slider failure (3 min 1 sec)

In the meantime, i already placed an order for the same part.... oops! With a recall being reported. Maybe i shouldn't have done that?? I don't know the details of the recall. Is there a new part being issues or something? Gaui seems to be pretty good about listening to their customer base and releasing updated, fixed or otherwise changed parts. I hope this holds true.

I also ordered this part G-208924

I am hoping the brass retaining sleeve part will work with my existing CNC arms and slider. If not, oh well. It was only $8.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3359.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	383895  
Integrity Handywork is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrity Handywork View Post
I just had this same exact failure yesterday on my fairly new X5. Maybe 2.5 months old. 132 flights @ 6m each. approx 13 flight hours. How many flights / flight hours would most of you account before the failure? I was very lucky compared to some others, or so it appears. I felt a odd inconsistency in the heli while trying to do funnels. Then i felt it twitch. When it started to spin a little later i managed to throttle cut and AR to the ground safely. But this could have been very expensive if it violently let loose. I don't know if the recall pertains to me or what it will solve. New spare part maybe? I will be contacting the distributor i purchased my X5 from. (clubheli).

The slider broke in the same spot as others.

http://youtu.be/kex68IBTz-8

In the meantime, i already placed an order for the same part.... oops! With a recall being reported. Maybe i shouldn't have done that?? I don't know the details of the recall. Is there a new part being issues or something? Gaui seems to be pretty good about listening to their customer base and releasing updated, fixed or otherwise changed parts. I hope this holds true.

I also ordered this part G-208924

I am hoping the brass retaining sleeve part will work with my existing CNC arms and slider. If not, oh well. It was only $8.
Wow, you got lucky to get it down in one piece!

When I had an X5, my pitch slider also failed. I wasn't able to save it. I installed the Trex600 slider and used the inner hole on the tail shaft and a spacer on the ball to get the geometry right. Never had a problem with it after that. Who knows... there are a ton of X5 owners who never run into this problem...and then there are a few of us that do. About the only thing that makes sense to me is that the brass material is just too thin once you machine in the threads there's almost no meat left.

I really like how Tauseff has solved this problem. His approach does away with the threads and just "pins" it like a rivet. This makes the piece very sturdy and the same thickness all the way through. The downside is that the bearing and the CNC arm are now "married" and if you need a new bearing, you will need to replace the whole thing... but I would rather do that than have another in-flight failure... Just the canopy and blades will set you back $150!
AMA #934662
caralmar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I didn't see an official announcement on a recall yet from Gaui ( http://www.gaui.com.tw/html/news.asp )

Has anybody got a replacement yet via the recall ( that hasn't crashed first ) or heard back on any inquiries regarding it?

-GN
Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got my NX4 from Santa for Christmas, Santa got the kit from Ron at Ron's Heliproz South. I emailed Ron last night asking if he was aware of any recall from Gaui.

"JC" at Empire RC (Gaui distributor) replied to Ron with the following answer:

Quote:
Hey Ron,

Yes there has been a recall. We are currently awaiting replacements from the factory.

I will let you know when we have the replacements.

Regards
Team Empire
Ron replied to that post with:

Quote:
Is there anything he can do himself?"
"JC" replied a second time with:

Quote:
What I have been telling people is...

Apply heat to the brass, and take it apart and look for stress on the threads, or breakage. When putting back together simply use some Red, or Green loctite and apply little force.

If found to be defective I can get him a replacement.

I have some that are not built.

Regards
Team Empire
So, there IS a recall underway, Empire is waiting for parts from Gaui, and in the meantime, if you feel lucky, go ahead and try to dismantle the part using heat. If you succeed, then inspect for stress marks and reassemble using loctite and a tiny bit of torque.

Thanks to Ron Lund for the info above.

Making the world better, one helicopter at a time. Team Heliproz
dksia is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It has gotten quite on this thread... Still no news on the recall parts becoming available?
Did everybody just go off and use the TRex slider?

I destroyed one of my NX4 sliders trying to get it back on ( it must have warped when I took it off and now its stuck on the tail shaft) - don't want to take mine off until I absolutely have to.
I have been flying on the stock slider - I guess it adds to the excitement.

-GN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in