Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > Genius CP

Genius CP Walkera Genius CP Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Servo replacement gears #2 #3

I am happy that ebay has gear sets available.

But...

How do you get to the #2 gear to replace it?
SkyKraken is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure what you mean... it's been a while since I took apart my GCP servos, but as I remember, there are a couple of screws in the case. Once you remove the screws and pull the cover off, you see all the gears, and can remove them one by one.

Just remember which one goes where!

Here is a photo I found online. Maybe the same one you saw:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281140445801?lpid=82

I never had any luck with rotating the stripped part of the gear... I ended up always just buying new servos, but this is a nice option. I guess it's about $3 for a set of the two gears by various sellers. Better than $18 for a new servo!

rojack is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

rojack has the right idea! one thing i've found is you are better off replacing the entire gear set rather than just the gear that was stripped. there seems to be very slight variations in gear size.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The #2 gear is trapped between a brass button on top that the #1 gear is keyed into.
And the bottom, which is jammed into possibly a pot, with some odd clips that deform if you yank the shaft out, maybe not clips, maybe they are the travel stops.

So, you need to pull off #1 gear, then without pulling out the shaft, pull off the pressed on brass ummm, thing. Getting that thing off, without pulling the shaft out of the servo, isn't happening..

I was hoping I was missing something obvious and all ya gotta do is...
Old 12-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKraken View Post
The #2 gear is trapped between a brass button on top that the #1 gear is keyed into.
And the bottom, which is jammed into possibly a pot, with some odd clips that deform if you yank the shaft out, maybe not clips, maybe they are the travel stops.

So, you need to pull off #1 gear, then without pulling out the shaft, pull off the pressed on brass ummm, thing. Getting that thing off, without pulling the shaft out of the servo, isn't happening..

I was hoping I was missing something obvious and all ya gotta do is...
Are you saying that Gear #2 cannot be replaced, or do you mean it can be replaced but only with difficulty?

My GCP has a stripped servo gear(s) but I just haven't got around to sorting it.
Synergy E5, Gaui X5 FES, Mikado Logo 400 (sold), WK V400D02, Genius CP, CB100, 4#6, HBFPV2 and a few shelf Queens and Quad's.
Land; HPI Vorza, E Firestorm/Castle SCT 3800, Ansmann Mad Rat/Fusion race 10.5T.... Team OoPlE.
MiXiN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Tool available for Servo maintenance

Hey Guys,

Terence's site has a tool available to assist in making Servo maintenance on the Genius, etc' a lot easier.

I don't have this tool, but for the price it's not a big loss if it proves useless.

Just look at the bottom of His page here under the Brushless motors sub-category; http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera43BLMotorEsc.htm
Synergy E5, Gaui X5 FES, Mikado Logo 400 (sold), WK V400D02, Genius CP, CB100, 4#6, HBFPV2 and a few shelf Queens and Quad's.
Land; HPI Vorza, E Firestorm/Castle SCT 3800, Ansmann Mad Rat/Fusion race 10.5T.... Team OoPlE.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiXiN View Post
Hey Guys,

Terence's site has a tool available to assist in making Servo maintenance on the Genius, etc' a lot easier.

I don't have this tool, but for the price it's not a big loss if it proves useless.

Just look at the bottom of His page here under the Brushless motors sub-category; http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera43BLMotorEsc.htm
MiXiN, i think you'll find that the gear puller at the bottom of that page is for motor pinions.. and would be altogether to large to be useful with servo gears.. rather than just replacing one gear when it strips, replace all the gears on that shaft. no more stuffing around trying to get them off, your servo is fixed in minutes, and it cost next to nothing. we're talking about the difference of maybe 50 cents for a single gear, maybe 75 cents for the whole shaft.... i'd happily spend less than a buck to make things easy!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxide1 View Post
MiXiN, i think you'll find that the gear puller at the bottom of that page is for motor pinions.. and would be altogether to large to be useful with servo gears.. rather than just replacing one gear when it strips, replace all the gears on that shaft. no more stuffing around trying to get them off, your servo is fixed in minutes, and it cost next to nothing. we're talking about the difference of maybe 50 cents for a single gear, maybe 75 cents for the whole shaft.... i'd happily spend less than a buck to make things easy!
Hello buddy,

To be honest, I've not got around to working on my stripped GCP Servo(s) so can't testify as to whether that tool works.

I failed to quote the initial link from Terence's site which explains, albeit in broken English, something inline with what SkyKracken above says about a "Copper cap" making gear removal difficult or words to that effect.

Here is the link with a brief explanation under the Servo gears He sells - http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera.htm
Old 12-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hello buddy,

To be honest, I've not got around to working on my stripped GCP Servo(s) so can't testify as to whether that tool works.

I failed to quote the initial link from Terence's site which explains, albeit in broken English, something inline with what SkyKracken above says about a "Copper cap" making gear removal difficult or words to that effect.

Here is the link with a brief explanation under the Servo gears He sells - http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera.htm
My Mistake! hadn't seen the extension made for gear pulling! (don't know how.. i looked!) but to be honest, i think id still go with replacing the whole shaft.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Woohoo! Thanks MiXiN, for the cost of 1/2 a servo I can try it.. So, I'm in.

Dumb luck is, I have that exact puller without the .7..

Thank you for finding and posting that info!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Woohoo! Thanks MiXiN, for the cost of 1/2 a servo I can try it.. So, I'm in.

Dumb luck is, I have that exact puller without the .7..

Thank you for finding and posting that info!
No worries at all fella.

Tell us how you get on with the tool, as I'm going to be opening up a Servo or two after Christmas and will buy myself one if it proves worthwhile.

Merry Christmas and an Happy New Year btw.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't waste the money or the time.

sorry the picture is blurry.. i was too ticked off to care.

Just re-read... did you have better luck?
It was a pain to line up, but once I had it dead center it was too much for the tool to take.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Don't waste the money or the time.

sorry the picture is blurry.. i was too ticked off to care.

Just re-read... did you have better luck?
It was a pain to line up, but once I had it dead center it was too much for the tool to take.
Blast, that's not good.

Thanks for posting your experience - at least it gives us an heads up not to waste our Money.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Has anyone figured out how to change out gear #2?

Skykraken, is that the thimble or the shaft the copper cab was on?

Do you think heating the cab with a soldering iron would help?

My brother and I have some gears to replace and was hoping it's not a lost cause.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in