Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ZYX-S setup guide

Can someone please point me to a step by step guide of setting up the zyx-s on a trex 450 heli.

I am trying to setup using the PC software and am struggling.

The software is not really intuitive and does not explain what needs to be done during each step etc.

Align 3gx setup is a breeze compared to this.

Can someone please help, otherwise this zyx is going into the bin.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by chrisd1972; 01-19-2014 at 09:40 PM..
chrisd1972 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

look up on youtube the ZYX setup videos by sgbfly
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Those vidoes are great... lots of details and he really goes into all the details! Here is a webpage that has all the videos in proper sequence along with some additional notes and comments.
Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd1972 View Post
Can someone please point me to a step by step guide of setting up the zyx-s on a trex 450 heli.

I am trying to setup using the PC software and am struggling.

The software is not really intuitive and does not explain what needs to be done during each step etc.

Align 3gx setup is a breeze compared to this.

Can someone please help, otherwise this zyx is going into the bin.....

The default setting on my gyro software for the servo is set to put an analoge signal to all servo's check your is set this way, or depending on your servo's you could smoke them.

1: TX, Setup a free model memory and press the reset to clear down all things that may be in the memory.
2: select single servo swashplate, no mixing in the TX this is done on the zyx.
3:get your zyx mounted and on your heli, make sure you have all the connections in place and correctly orientated.
4: remove the head from your heli, leaving swash in place.
5:turn on your heli and bind your receiver.
6: connect your gyro lead to the pc only and wait for confirmation that it has connected it to a port
7: connect to your zyx, and connect the pc to the gyro via the software. get your 3 green lights
8:go to monitor screen and set up your TX to allow the on screen sliders to follow the sticks on your tx. this will involve using the servo reverse on your tx, then set the centre of the sliders on screen to 0%, this will involve subtrim on your tx, then set the throws of the slider to read 100% each way, this will involve EPA OR ATV on your tx. set your gyro gain up to give about 60% throw each way on the slider for now.
9. leave your tx alone from now on, there is very little you can use that isn't catered for in the software.
10 move to installation screen and choose the correct installation orientation for your mount.
11.move to servo screen and set the servo tab to match your chosen servo's
12 move to swash and set your swash to 120 ccpm or which ever swash you are using.
13. move to servo reverse, and get your servo's moving in the correct direction, left stick gives left swash from rear, back stick gives swash tilt to rear etc , at this point do not worry if pitch is reversed,
14.move to servo trim and get your servos to 90 degs do this by using the trim tabs in the software and if excessive trim is being used try a different servo horn or a different spline position to make the servo trim a minimum. Make sure you set the servo arm length as per the manual for your heli type.
15. level the swash with your servo to swash rods and a swash tool.
16 put your head back on put pitch to mid stick and adjust rods to give 0 pitch at mid stick with swash level,
17. move to swash travel, some say leave this alone, but that can get you a lively heli, so be aware, I shoot for about 8 to 9 degs on the elevator and aileron pitch. this is done by moving the sliders
18,move to collective pitch and get yourself the pitch range you require I usually go for 12 degs each way, at this point use the software to get the pitch moving the correct way, by moving slider either positive or negative to give correct movement.
19.move to tail set up screen, switch your gyro gain switch to get the gyro to normal rate (blue light on) set your mechanical set up to give 8 degs opposing torque to the tail when the servo horn is 90 degs to the boom as per the picture on the screen adjust rod length if necessary to acheive this. Move tx stick to make sure the tail is moving to give correct rudder control from the TX, use the software switch to reverse if required. Switch to heading hold(red light on) move stick on tx to left side and adjust slider on screen to give max throw without binding. Do the same for right hand throw.
20. move to gyro direction screen and check the gyro is giving the right compensation to your movements, follow the on screen shots, for help.
21, move to piro comp screen and adjust the piro compensation if reqd.
22, go back to front screen and set up the agility level you want by clicking one of the preset parameter buttons i use Hardcore it works pretty well and is not as bad as it sounds.
23, save your setup, you have worked hard to get there don't lose it now.

check your set up and the gyro compensation and the piro comp once more. go test fly.

Now as for TX adjustment, dual rates and expo can now be set to give you the feel you require after test flight or before if you are worried, gyro gain can be adjusted for the tail from your tx, if the gains are to high on the cyclic you have to reduce these either by the stick programming method or by the PC software or field programming unit.

As you may have worked out the TX setup at the beginning gives the gyro the info it requires for its own rates and reactions/compensations, the end user then programs the unit and adjust the parameters, then they are fine tuned on the TX for personal preference.

hope this helps.
Busher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks Busher, nice clear steps etc.

I have been watching the videos, links in earlier reply, and still working on the setup.

I am finding that the swash is very jittery e.g. when testing aileron tilt or elevator tilt, the swash is moving in the correct direction but is very unstable, not nice smooth movement in the direction that I want.

Also having issues with Rudder, sliders respond on the software, but when I get to the rudder setup in the software, nothing moving on the heli.

But, I am working on it, will see how I goes, thanks for the help so far.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are you using digital servos, or analogue servos, and have you set the correct settings for your receiver and servos before you start. And can you tell me whether you are using a standard receiver or sats and which radio system you have, it may help
Glad you like the setup guide and hope its gets you going its a great FBL gyro

Good luck
Old 01-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default ZYX-S setup guide

I re-flashed the firmware and it is now much better.

I am using a dsm2 sat (spektrum) with a dx8 tx.

Cyclic servos are savox 0255's and tail was a Turnigy 306, but I swiped that out for an Align ds520 and now tail servo is working.

I am making progress at least. Have a bit of binding on swash with negative pitch and aileron movements, so need to go back and check linkage lengths and swash height etc.

Thanks for the advice so far, has been helpful.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can remove the binding at extreme throws with the sliders back them off a bit at a time till there is no more binding,

Glad you got the rudder working that was puzzling me as well
Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nicely done, Busher.
Goblin Speed | iKon
Dr. M is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in