Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flybarless Helicopter Systems

Flybarless Helicopter Systems CSM Cyclock, Helitronix Multi-mixer, Spartan AP2000i, Firmtronix Digimix-3, Gyrobot, SK360and AC3X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ikon governor

Maybe a naïve question, but how does the governor on the ikon work? Is there a feedback loop that allows it to know how fast the motor is running?
dwelzel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: ikon governor

I have it on my 700n..I set my gear ratio/ then the three speeds as.
Mode 1..1700 rpm..0 15 30 30 30
Mode 2..1850 rpm..60 60 60 60 60
Mode 3.. 1950 rpm..100 100 100 100 100
Did a test spool up / no blades / hooked to computer and it was reading my rpm correctly on governor page. Put blades back on it took it out and did some big loops and puch outs and tic tocs and it appeared to be holding it head speed fairly well. Have it with a align 2and1 / ys 91sr / hatori pipe.... so far so good.

Sent from my SPH-L900
charles.frank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did notice on the govenor page of set up when I was running the test spool up it did not have the magnet or govenor check box at bottom left of page checked or high lighted / but it seemed to perform well.. it had to have recognized them in order to work properly, so not sure why they werent checked or high lighted..

Sent from my SPH-L900
Old 02-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.frank View Post
I did notice on the govenor page of set up when I was running the test spool up it did not have the magnet or govenor check box at bottom left of page checked or high lighted / but it seemed to perform well.. it had to have recognized them in order to work properly, so not sure why they werent checked or high lighted..

Sent from my SPH-L900
maybe my question is more basic. I'm trying to understand how to governor maintains headspeed. Does it require a telemetry reading off the motor?

if it doesn't, how is it different from a flat throttle curve?
dwelzel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

On a nitro its magnets and on electric its pole count..thats all I know ( and it aint much ) you do not need telemetry to use governor.

Sent from my SPH-L900
Old 05-09-2013, 02:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Nitro Governor Confusion

I am setting up the Ikon on my Trex 600 nitro, and I am very confused... The wiring instructions show the throttle servo connected directly to the receiver throttle channel. This being the case, how does the governor maintain the engine/head speed? Am I missing something, or misreading the wiring directions?

Help?!?!?!

RookieAv8r is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieAv8r View Post
I am setting up the Ikon on my Trex 600 nitro, and I am very confused... The wiring instructions show the throttle servo connected directly to the receiver throttle channel. This being the case, how does the governor maintain the engine/head speed? Am I missing something, or misreading the wiring directions?

Help?!?!?!

That is correct...connect throttle in to the the throttle channel on ikon unit ..plug magnet sensor wire into govenor port on side of ikon unit...go into software and set up gear ratio ( calculator in software if not sure ) set head speeds and throttle curves in tx and your all good..in the advanced menu under governor you can mess with ramp up and ramp down setting and etc...
I run it in all 3 if my birds ( all nitros )..
When setting end points in software turn off govenor in bank selection, this disables the ramp up and will allow servo to move freely throughout its range of motion..when complete re select govenor in bank section and go fly. .
Hope this helps.

Sent from my Trex 700n using a DX8

Last edited by charles.frank; 05-09-2013 at 04:14 PM..
Old 06-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm debating to either use an ikon for my 700n build instead of vbar or remove the silver line vbar from my 700e to put on nitro and ikon on the e. Question is how good is the soft start/ ramp up on the ikon (mainly on nitro) and does it allow for a manual non governed linear curve for spool up in normal and then governor active in iu 1 and 2 like vbar allows?
shein95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe I'm just being thick, but if the throttle servo is not connected to the Ikon, but connected directly to the receiver, how does the Ikon governor control the throttle?

Charlie
Old 06-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You need a sensor to get the motor rpm to the FBL unit, for electrics it is called a phase sensor and on nitro machines it is normally an engine backplate sensor or a magnet in the main gear with a pickup. You then have to plug this into the FBL unit so that it knows the rpm, through the software you do the setup and the ESC or throttle servo NOW gets plugged into the FBL unit.

Go the MSH Brain thread here on HF to get more info particular to the iKon unit as they are the same.
Old hand at Planks
Peter
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

i only have 2 flight modes on my dx7s. i could use the three position switch for 3 head speeds but i only want normal and idle up. Should i set the normal curve linear from 0% to 100% or should i have it as 30% flat line.? so once over 25% throttle it will ramp up to the speed 1. what about speed 2? do i just have that set to the same as speed 1.
gileswalmisley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinger View Post
You need a sensor to get the motor rpm to the FBL unit, for electrics it is called a phase sensor and on nitro machines it is normally an engine backplate sensor or a magnet in the main gear with a pickup. You then have to plug this into the FBL unit so that it knows the rpm, through the software you do the setup and the ESC or throttle servo NOW gets plugged into the FBL unit.

Go the MSH Brain thread here on HF to get more info particular to the iKon unit as they are the same.
I think I see now, but then at that point, it is governor use only, and no direct throttle control from the radio since the throttle servo is then plugged into the only throttle port on the Ikon?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by shein95 View Post
I'm debating to either use an ikon for my 700n build instead of vbar or remove the silver line vbar from my 700e to put on nitro and ikon on the e. Question is how good is the soft start/ ramp up on the ikon (mainly on nitro) and does it allow for a manual non governed linear curve for spool up in normal and then governor active in iu 1 and 2 like vbar allows?
the soft start works very well
the throttle curve would have to be setup in the radio but would pose no problem just like with the v-bar

theres a 60.00 v-bar clone out now that is really worth a look
uses vbar software for setup has all the features and comes with 5.3.4pro software on it
X-8 FPV Wing, TBS Discovery FPV, TBS Caipirinha FPV
satgod is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in