Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Could you put in order this battery brands

From the best quality to the less quality put in order these battery brands:
Hyperion; Thunder power; Gens ace; turnigy nano tech; Align; Beast DNA; Glacier; E flite
Thank you very much.
quebuenman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thunder Power and Hyperion are what I have found to be the top contenders. The edge in performance and the 2 year (TP) and 1 year (Hyp) warranty come at a price and some budgets can't justify them. If you are putting a couple of hundred cycles a season on them they are worth it.

Align and Eflite have not performed very well for me over the years. Been a while since I have used them though and they may have become better.

I have not used the rest so I hate to comment but it is a start for you.

I stopped flying TP packs when the Pulse Ultras came out. I have found they are a good balance between performance and cost. I know they aren't on your list but I figure you are trying to weigh out cost and performance to determine which batteries fit your needs so I figured I would offer what I found to be a good "bang for the buck".

Have a great day.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

yes tomd I forgot the pulse, thanks
quebuenman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thunder power/Hyperion, gens ace/glacier, align, and turnigy nano puffs at the bottom for sure. Haven't used beast or eflite.
quinn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Glaciers are going strong for me . 3s 2200 35c, 3 packs each over 70 flights and ir still 3mohm or less per pack. Have 3 new 6s 45c packs and each cell under 2 mohm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2014, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thunder power, Pulse, Hyperion. thats all ive flown. Pulse is very strong and dosn't puff. i have had a few thunderpowers puff.
Team Helidirect
Helis4Life77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Glaciers puffed on me in a week after forgetting to discharge them. Hyperion are even worse (I've lost nearly $300 worth of them). Gens and Sky Lipos have been pretty good and they still fly in pretty horribly damaged condition (since I'm to cheap to buy new ones! ). The best luck I've had with batteries have been plain 'ol Turnigy 25C packs in everything from 150mA 1S up to 5000mA 6S in my Aurora (Nanos suck though).

I used TP's originally but none of them lasted more than 50 flights without dropping off (this was back in '07-'10). However, the current ones do great if you use the living daylights out of them for their first year or so. If you're not pushing them really hard they're not worth the money IMO. If you only have 2 -3 packs (or pairs) then you could get away with only being that many because they take slam -charging of around 8C or more without killing them in the process. I personally never go past 4C, but it would be nice to have 5 to 6 minute charge times just for the sake of being able to!
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned User

I have 3 4000mah 6s packs. 2 of them are Haiyin packs which are really holding up well. The third is one of those BeastDNA packs which is not doing as well. After about 100 flights I'm having to land the BeastDNA pack about 30 to 45 seconds earlier than the Haiyins.

I've bought a few ebay lipos, mostly small 3s packs for bec or night light duty. Strongly suspect they are just rebranded hobbyking packs. Many of them have the word nano technology on the wrapper.

You might want to skip the ebay packs. Its hard to know what you are getting and it seems like they slap a new name on them every 45 days or so.
kavic5150 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Align and NanoTech are at the bottom of the barrell.

Thunderpower and Gens Ace are at the top of the pack.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I only use revoelectrix now, great batteries so far. I would definitely look as those as well. Plus you can get them up to 70C and buy a 12s setup in one battery.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

None of my glaciers ever puffed and I'll leave the cheap 2s bats charged for weeks. Definitely not the norm to puff. And they're under warranty for I think 3 months. Did you try getting them to replace? Wouldn't be too surprised if they denied if you told them you left them charged for extended period, as you aren't supposed to technically leave any lipo charged.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't used them all but I have used most. Thunder Power has always been good but not enough to justify the price....I do like however that they tend to be smaller and lighter for the same capacity. I use them where high power but small and lightweight is important. Nanotech....fair at best. Eflite, too expensive for a mediocre battery. Pulse, I only bought a pair of the originals and they puffed slightly, the new ones are likely better but I'll never know. I've only had two Hyperions and wasn't impressed with them either, puffed and couldn't maintain voltage under load. Then I got on the Gens Ace bandwagon early on and have been a believer since. They perform every bit as good for me as my TP packs and are much less money. I slowly started converting everything over the Gens Ace and then they got popular so the price went up and inventory went down. The lack of Gens Ace inventory led me to Glaciers which seem to be comparable in every way. I now fly pretty much Gens Ace or Glaciers depending on who has what I need in stock and the occasional TP.
supertoyz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Never tried getting a warranty replacement. The policies are really only good for DO A batteries because there are too many reasons for them not to be covered to be worth the hassle. It's almost as if you would purposely have to lie about it because the terms are so short and it likely would fail the day after the warranty is up.

That being said, Hobbypartz offered to replace one of my sky Lipos that got damaged in the mail.
skunkworx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have numerous Thunderpower, Hyperion, Gens Ace, Glacier, and Revolectrix batteries.

The thunderpower have all been 65C and 70C
The Gens Ace are 65C, 60C, 30C, 25C
The Hyperion are 35C
and Revolectrix are 60C.

I am very careful to charge and discharge them on my charger when I first get them before putting them on a heli. The first few charges are only at 1C but then I increase to 2 and 3C typically.

I don't leave them charged and I only charge them up the morning before I go fly.

They spend most of their lives at 3.83-3.86 V per cell.

I've never puffed any of them. They all have good IR values.

The only batteries I've really abused are my Hyperions 6S 5000mah . I've run them down to 2.75V and crashed them hard. One is slanted pretty noticably.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in