Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Flight Stabilization

Flight Stabilization Flight Stabilization

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

VISTA
Was looking on HK site on FM discussion it says's you wont be able to load settings from heli after you program it, so you have to save your settings in a file folder on your computer and load it from there if you want to make any changes to your settings.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

:-]

Last edited by johnnycat500; 01-03-2011 at 12:08 PM..
johnnycat500 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I got my Flymentor installed on my Tarot 500 today and it seems to be working but I need some help...

I always wants to turn left and I'm constantly giving right rudder.

I did have an accident but not sure if it was pilot error or not having something setup correctly. I was hovering about 3 ft and giving it some right rudder suddenly it shot up to about 10 ft, I cut the throttle but a little too much and she came down pretty hard breaking one of the skid supports which I epoxied temporarily and the battery which is velcroed and a strapped slid right out of the blue plastic cover!

This is my first time using the Flymentor and followed pretty closely what nightflyr suggested.

I haven't played around with the gains or anything else other then the servo reversing and neutral positioning on the elevator.

Thanks for your help!

PS - I'm will be posting this info on another thread (Ivor Hill).
jer291113 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default kds flymentor software start

it seems to be an issue of the com port for the device. change it to the lowest possible com port ( my guess is less than 10) in the ports properties. it may say it is already in use. if it is not currently used it seems save to overwrite. this worked for me
aknauer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Helibal and Vista

I'm able to use Vista by right clicking on the KDS file and left clicking "Properties" in the popup menu that results. Now left click the "compatibilities" tab, tick "Run this program in compatibility mode", then select "Windows XP" and tick "Run program as administrator" Close the window by clicking "Apply" Now double click the KDS file, click "Allow" in fire wall popup menu and Helibal usually opens and runs to give a "Connected" message so long as the FM is linked via the USB and is powered up.
A "No device" message means FM is not connected or not powered up. Occasionally I get a "No adaptor" message, this requires unplugging the USB adaptor, waiting a few seconds or so and reconnecting. Very rarely I might have to do this several times to happen on a Com port suited to the driver software.
Sometimes the Helibal screen seems to freeze after the "Connected" message but clicking the "Factory Reset" usually jolts it into life.

Hope this works for you frustrated Vista users. Best regards, Derek
Moosejam is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default hk 250 gt with flymentor

Got mine working on HK 250 GT
allso sum pic on my channel
HobbyKing 250 GT Flymentor (4 min 23 sec)
gandal is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflyr View Post
Hopefully this will help some of you Flymentor owners out with your setups

nightflyr

Flight stabilization system from KDS. This unit comes with 5 items; the main unit, gyro, CCD sensor, CD software and usb data cable (manual is in PDF format in the CD). Flymentor 3D is a stabilization unit that help helicopter to self stabilized it's own position in hover and also self recovery during 3D maneuver. If you are familiar with copilot 2 then the function for this device is almost the same with some differences. This review divided into installation and testing.

• Installation:
  • This is definitely not for newbie since the installation require prior knowledge on setting up helicopter manually through computerized radio, theoretical and practical controlling remote control helicopter plus with some computer knowledge on driver and application installation and usage.
  • First step is to mount and connect main unit, CCD sensor, gyro to heli. This is how I mount my unit. Connect flymentor main unit to receiver according to color channel match. Connect servo wires to flymentor unit show in the picture below. Servo name will be s1(aileron), s2 (pitch), s3 (elevator), s5(rudder).

Wiring diagram

Flymentor main unit

CCD sensor..make sure the camera has clear view without any obstruction.
  • Reset your radio with no swash mixing. For Futaba 9c under parameter-->type--> HELI(SWH1) so that each servo operate independently. Flymentor has it own mixing software. Reset all EPA, any mixing to inhibit.
  • Connect data cable to computer and start driver installation (follow manual). Then run the helibal.exe to start to configure flymentor. Important!! all the setup normally being done in the radio is has been replace by the flymentor software. No configuration required from the radio accept for servo reverse. (disconnect two wires from esc to motor)
  • The next setup is to configure the mount direction, servo and mixing setup. Connect flymentor to the computer and load the software. Connect power to ESC and wait for helibal to load the configuration from the main unit.
  • First setup is mounting direction of CCD sensor and gyro direction. Then select the main blade direction and swash configuration. --> save the setting.
  • After that select servo reverse option and neutral. This is for me the most tedious part of setting up flymentor where I have problem getting the correct mixing correction given with heli orientation. I have to setup servo reverse from the radio where I have to reverse channel 2,4,6. Inside helibal servo-->reverse option servo 1,3 and tail servo has been set to reverse.
  • To check your mixing and mixing correction in the right selection. Tilt the heli in the direction the swash mixing should give correction in the opposite way from the tilting direction. Check out the following video. You can see the swash mixing responded to counter the leaning action.

• The servo reverse combination between radio servo reverser and helibal software. Have to test all combination to get the correct respond towards swash mixing. It's a tedious work for me to get the right servo reverse option. Play around with servo reverse and control to get the right output.
  • After swash mixing configuration then the pitch setting can begin. Check the servo arm center at half stick at this point. Servo travel in non-mixing mode caused the servo throw bigger than mixing mode. EPA setting in radio cannot work to limit servo travel in this setup. Adjust the travel through control option. Setup the pitch curve and get the proper pitch setup using pitch gauge. Pitch curve setup has to be done through radio software.
  • Solution for the gyro setup I think I've got it..thanks to kepler from HeliFreak..why I have problem with the gyro is because of the color coding on the gyro sensitivity and stabilization sensitivity are the wrong way around. The manual stated that gyro sensitivity is the blue one but actually it's the green one. The blue one is for flymentor sensitivity. Just swap both wires at the receiver.
  • That's it...my flybar seesaw has been repaired and everything is up for another test tomorrow if mother nature permits...
Testing
  • Managed to test with the new setup today evening but not much time due to rain. Helibal Gyro gain set to 10% and the wag gone..but still need to reduce some more since it still wag during hard climb up. I think better off with external gyro.
  • Will take video later since had no chance to properly tune the system. But initially the flight test was successful. I gave hard lean to the left and right and let go the stick..my heli recover back to hover position. It's really work.
Issues
  • Some issues I've found during the test is the system need to reboot twice to work. The first time the system won't initialize but the second power up it's working. KDS should look into this.
  • Color coding on the gyro sensitivity and stabilization sensitivity are the wrong way around.
  • Gyro performance..better off with external gyro. The built in gyro not for 3D performance.. but good for scale flyer. It will wag during hard punch or sudden high rpm input.
  • KDS should revise their manual since several critical error leads user to the wrong setup.
  • One more finding after more test today..I have to reset flymentor 2-3 times every time although the system already boot. I found that the first time it start the centering suddenly goes nut. Take the power off then on again..it's good to go. This has been confirmed by several fliers from HF.
Thanks to Kepler and nightfly for the help..More discussion on Flymentor 3D available in Helifreak forum
All settings are done through the FM software or field programmer, all settings, trims and reversing should be normal setting, then adjust through FM, this goes for the stock radio, alot of people are using DX6i and when you adjust from tx it limits the FM to perform properly. hope this helps someone
bangwings is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Difference between pos hold and Horiz.Hold? 64 bit win7 USB driver

Can someone kindly explain the Difference between Position Hold and Horizantal Hold in Flymentor as the manual is unclear ? And when to use each ( 3D flight vs. normal flight ) ?
Still tuning mine ....

P.S. for those havingbtrouble with the Windows 7 , 64 Bit driver for the USB com dongle that connects to Helibal can be found here:

http://www.recursion.jp/avrcdc/download.html

And download avrcdc-inf.zip file that has the driver . You need to manually unzip and choose the driver ( needs a bit of windows driver installation know how ) .

After download , do not install immediately , restart windows while pressing F8 , choose the mode that disables windows driver signing check , then after windows starts, install the driver . Do not start Helibal yet . Need to go to devices on control panel, right click properties on the newly installed USB com-port , advanced , change properties,navigate to ports and choose com4 even if ot occupied as the port otherwise it will not work ( it initially defaults to com10) . Plenty of YouTube videos to help. Now start Helibal and should connect. Every time you need to run this , you need to have driver signing mode disabled by restarting windows .

Thanks .
gsiblini is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsiblini View Post
Can someone kindly explain the Difference between Position Hold and Horizantal Hold in Flymentor as the manual is unclear ?
Thanks .
Position hold utilizes the CCD camera installed under the heli to snap and lock to a contrasty ground image. This will be effective to an approximate altitude of 6 feet. Above this the CCD will loose its ability to resolve and FM will automatically switch into horizontal mode that will purely level the heli but not prevent any drift.

Horizontal or balance mode can also be applied or selected remotly through the TX. FM is not fast enough to react during 3D flight and the gyros may loose track and get confused, the system is only suitable for the learning and practice hovering in all orientations and sports flying, it has poor 'bail out' characteristics.

Hope this helps.
pril250 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Burned Tail servo

Hi. I was setting up my FM today not much succes, tail servo keept going to it's maximum position, in the end i didn't notice that linkage got stuck at max and smoke came out of servo. Good bye tail sevo. I don't understand why it does it, I had my heli on the table, no movement and I couldn't center the tail!!! Also I think when I tilt heli sideways, FM responds better on left tilt than right. Any idea why?
heli rad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Because the gyro is in HH mode. In HH mode the servo will drift to one end when not being controlled, you need to set the travel under the gyro tab in the progamme so that it does not bottom out and burn out.
When setting up FM the gyro needs to be in normal (rate) mode, in rate mode the servo will move to centre. Under the gyro tab move the gain slider to the left to about 25, this will put the gyro into normal mode.
Ivor Hill is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default external servo

I think I'll just use external servo. I'm bit put off from FM tail gyro control. I have spare HK hot melt fixed gyro. Thank you for advice.
heli rad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Nightflyer, can U show how to hook up the FM on/off switch on a DX7 ? Also do U recommend using a thick spongy soft double side tape or thick firm tape to mount the KDS gyro, I heard the gyro is sensitive to vibrations. Mine sometimes hold pretty good but sometimes leaning to one side a bit. Thanks !
autosonline2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Comm port problem

Yeah... I wish I had seen your posts last week ! I had a com port problem but it took me 3 days to resolve. comm ports in device manager, right click to get into comms page click advanced to see list of ports. my link had number 24. way too high needs to be 9 or less. so I just assigned it to an unused low port and it woked right away.
Orbi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default My new Setup Issue

Dear All ,

I am new to the hobby and thats why i thought that going with the FM would be a good choice as it will help stabilise .. the heli ..
What i have a
*** HK-500CMT (TT) 3D Torque-Tube Helicopter Kit Align T-Rex Compat
** The Elevator servo in this model is back mounting
** The Aileron 1 and 2 are in the front

*** JR XG8 (DMSS receiver)
*** FM set with setup Box
*** Turnigy Brushless ESC 85A w/ 5A SBEC
***ZIPPY Compact 3300mAh 6S 35C Lipo Pack
*** Turnigy 500 H3126 Brushless outrunner 1300KV
*** Futaba S9257 EP Digital Rudder Servo (TAIL)
*** Align Servo (CYCLIC)

What I have done ..
*** I have completed all the installation for the body as well as the electronics

What is the problem :
*** I want to know which wire from the FM will go into which receiver port
My receiver port looks like this

http://www.perthrc.com.au/images/detailed/1/1649.jpg

*** Some how with my present setup my elevator and pitch have switched while i am also not sure if the Gyro is working. (I am trying to start off on MODE 2 standard of transmitter)

Any form of inputs will be appreciated.

Regards
IshanThakur is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in