Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > 550 Class Electric Helicopters

550 Class Electric Helicopters 550 Class Electric Helicopters manufactured by Align, Tarot, SYMA, Airhog, Chaos, HK and similar.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default ESC Overtemp

I have a Trex 550 V3. It has the BL600MX motor an a CC Talon 90 ESC.
I have about 50 flight on and just getting comfortable with loops and rolls.
Twice now, after a 7 minute flight the ESC had a beep code dot dash dot (over temp).
I'm not sure how concerned I should be about this. Am I in danger of it shutting down.
Is it time to upgrade? What's a good upgrade without breaking the bank.
akabud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I run the yep 100a on mine with a scorpion motor
Dosent get hot at all and cheap on price
I wouldnt push the talon 90 like that it will fail for sure
super bad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Akabud,

What RPM or throttle are you using for the 7 minutes?

Align T-Rex 800E DFC / Align T-Rex 550E DFC / Align T-Rex 450L / Align T-Rex 450 Pro
Nspector8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspector8 View Post
Akabud,

What RPM or throttle are you using for the 7 minutes?
I'm using 85% throttle. I tried to set the gov with castle link but could not get it to work. I did set the throttle end points.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Did you change the "current limiting" to "insensitive" in the castle software?
OXY rep
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post
Did you change the "current limiting" to "insensitive" in the castle software?
Yes. Is that good or bad?
Old 11-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you checked to see if it is actually getting too hot after a flight?

I think I've seen it recommended to set current limiting to 'insensitive', but have mine set to 'normal' and haven't had any trouble.

I run my Talon with the same motor and just a bit more throttle (governed to 2000, which I think comes out to 87~88% throttle), also fly for 7 minutes, and the grill (heatsink) is warm, but not hot to touch after a flight, even during summer here in Texas.

When you say that you tried to setup the governor, do you mean that you couldn't get the castle link to connect to the software, or that the governor function didn't work altogether?

I would try running it at higher throttle, and see if it comes down cooler or gets rid of the warning.

Align T-Rex 800E DFC / Align T-Rex 550E DFC / Align T-Rex 450L / Align T-Rex 450 Pro
Nspector8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are using the the internal ESC in the Talon its not uncommon to get a shutdown. On a machine this size you really should use an external BEC or a seperate Rx pack. The Talon 90 is already undersized for a helicopter this large. Running the internal BEC will tend to cause some overheating issues.

And it is correct to have your current limiting to insenstive. This tells the controller that current spikes (like in hard collective moves) are ok and will keep it from shutting down when it sees one. If you have it set to normal the "ceiling" for this setting is much lower and it will shut down given a hard enough spike. If you aren't pushing it hard and just doing mild flight and a flip here and there you're probably in the clear, but once you start to really task the machine you may get a surprise. Be ready to auto.

If you want to replace the ESC I would look at the Castle series again - just because their software is the best/easiest to use and they are relatively inexpensive ESC's. The Edge 130 is great and so is the new Talon 120. The Talon is cheaper, but like the Talon 90, does not have logging data, which the Edge series does and is definitely worth the extra few bucks on a machine this large. The information you get from logging on how your ESC/motor/batteries are gelling is invaluable.

Other options would be the YEP series from Hobbyking - trusted and proven ESC's that are probably the cheapest of the bunch. I'd look at a 120A or more.

And the new kid on the block and priced in the mid-range area is the Hobbywing V3's. They incorporate a lot of modern features that some of the really higher priced ESC's today feature and they have very powerful internal BEC's capable of driving HV servos even.
OXY rep
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in