Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Engines and Mufflers

Engines and Mufflers Having problems or need advice on Engines or Mufflers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Question 'finger' test on a YS50

Sorry if this is a silly question, but... I've read about putting your finger on the backplate of the engine to gauge the temp, but I'm not entirely sure where to do that on a YS engine. The backplate (assuming I'm thinking of the actual backplate) is very recessed and has a fuel tube in the way (to pressurize the tank), so there is no flat surface area to touch. Do I just touch the thin outer edge of the bottom plate, or the middle of the cylinder wall where there is more surface area to feel?

Thanks

-David
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The "Finger on the backplate" test really doesn't work on the YS engines. The pinch test, and lidtening to the engine is the best way. And a temp Gun...
Old 06-12-2008, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

What is the pinch test? And I assume you mean listening to the engine? Since this is my first nitro, The only way I could tell its not tuned right by ear is if its sputtering. I do have a little IR thermometer. Where should I take a reading and what temp should it be? For break-in as well as after...

Thanks

-David
Old 06-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The pinch test is for setting the low end needle. After the engine warms up, preferably after landing after a flight, leave the engine idling and pinch the fuel line shut about 1 inch from where it enters the carburetor. The engine should speed up after 2 seconds and then die. If it dies right away, your low end needle is too lean. If it takes much longer than 2 seconds before it starts speeding up, the low end needle is too rich. Having the engine up to operating temperature when you do this is imperative.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I ran a couple tanks yesterday. I have a feeling I was running on the lean side, as I had plenty of power, no bogging at all... If I was running on the rich side, should I have had a bit of bogging? This thing had much more power than my 500 for sure (500 is running a 12t pinion though...). I also timed the second flight and landed at 7 min... tank was still half full. My temp gun was not working that well as it was showing temps of 110F or so a couple min after landing... it was definitely hotter than that at the time of reading... not sure what I was doing wrong. Anyway, the engine felt good. I had a guy at the field helping me out, and he adjusted the main needle to about 1 and 1/3 out and after seeing me fly said it was rich and was fine for breakin. I still think it wasn't that rich, but I have 0 nitro experience, and he did (although he had never run a YS before, but was thinking of getting one).

Anyway... After the second and third flights (1/2 tank each), I had fuel leaking all over the place. I checked and tightened some motor screws, but it looked like it was coming out of the carb. Both of those last two flights the engine died after landing, and I probably forgot to clamp the fuel line, so the question is... If I do forget to clamp the line to the engine, will the tank pressure force fuel out of the carb and all over the place? I was thinking I had a leaky engine, but after taking it out last night, I realized that it was probably not a leak at all and just the tank pressure making the mess. I need to get in the habit of clamping that line right away.

-David
Old 06-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleboy View Post
I ran a couple tanks yesterday. I have a feeling I was running on the lean side, as I had plenty of power, no bogging at all... If I was running on the rich side, should I have had a bit of bogging? This thing had much more power than my 500 for sure (500 is running a 12t pinion though...). I also timed the second flight and landed at 7 min... tank was still half full. My temp gun was not working that well as it was showing temps of 110F or so a couple min after landing... it was definitely hotter than that at the time of reading... not sure what I was doing wrong. Anyway, the engine felt good. I had a guy at the field helping me out, and he adjusted the main needle to about 1 and 1/3 out and after seeing me fly said it was rich and was fine for breakin. I still think it wasn't that rich, but I have 0 nitro experience, and he did (although he had never run a YS before, but was thinking of getting one).

Anyway... After the second and third flights (1/2 tank each), I had fuel leaking all over the place. I checked and tightened some motor screws, but it looked like it was coming out of the carb. Both of those last two flights the engine died after landing, and I probably forgot to clamp the fuel line, so the question is... If I do forget to clamp the line to the engine, will the tank pressure force fuel out of the carb and all over the place? I was thinking I had a leaky engine, but after taking it out last night, I realized that it was probably not a leak at all and just the tank pressure making the mess. I need to get in the habit of clamping that line right away.

-David
oh yeah, clamp and pull the line off the one way valve as soon as you land...
WayneBrown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneBrown View Post
oh yeah, clamp and pull the line off the one way valve as soon as you land...
Live and learn. . Is there an easier way to relieve the pressure rather than reaching under the heli (quite awkward) and pulling the line? I figure a T connector on that line with a simple clamp, but the only T connectors I see have fuel filters in them. Can someone point me to just a plain T connector without the filter?

Thanks

-David
Old 06-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Live and learn. . Is there an easier way to relieve the pressure rather than reaching under the heli (quite awkward) and pulling the line? I figure a T connector on that line with a simple clamp, but the only T connectors I see have fuel filters in them. Can someone point me to just a plain T connector without the filter?

Thanks

-David
I don't want to see or hear of you doing that. It adds a failure point on a pressurized system where you don't want or need one.
Simply reaching under the heli is best.
There really is a reason YS states a specific length of tubing from the pressure fitting to the check valve, and is the reason the engine comes with one pre-cut in the box.
Please keep this as simple as you can, even if it's awkward.
WayneBrown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneBrown View Post
I don't want to see or hear of you doing that. It adds a failure point on a pressurized system where you don't want or need one.
Simply reaching under the heli is best.
There really is a reason YS states a specific length of tubing from the pressure fitting to the check valve, and is the reason the engine comes with one pre-cut in the box.
Please keep this as simple as you can, even if it's awkward.
I guess I could disconnect the line at the top of the tank rather then at the check valve, which is completely underneath the Heli...

-David
Old 06-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I guess I could disconnect the line at the top of the tank rather then at the check valve, which is completely underneath the Heli...

-David
thats what i do.
heliadict1212 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 03:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
The pinch test is for setting the low end needle. After the engine warms up, preferably after landing after a flight, leave the engine idling and pinch the fuel line shut about 1 inch from where it enters the carburetor. The engine should speed up after 2 seconds and then die. If it dies right away, your low end needle is too lean. If it takes much longer than 2 seconds before it starts speeding up, the low end needle is too rich. Having the engine up to operating temperature when you do this is imperative.
For this 2 second rule... I've got it to where if I clamp the line, it will idle normal for about 2 seconds, then speed up and eventually die. Once it starts speeding up, it can take 5 or so seconds to die. Is this ok, as long as the normal idle is around 2 seconds?

-David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in