Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450X

Blade 450X Blade 450X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Upgraded motor now no IU2...

I upgraded my motor to a Turnigy and now I don't get Idle up 2. Rebound Bx… no help.
Plug stock motor back and IU2 works…
Any ideas?
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could do with a little more info as to what esc you are using, any governor, throttle curves. Is the Turnigy too much for the esc you are using?
andycrazy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stock ESC… I think the motor is 3800kv so don't think it's too much for ESC… IDK?
I just plug n played the motor
Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

The KV just means the number of revolutions per volt. It has little to do with the ESC other than the fact that you must gear it to keep the headspeed in a reasonable range. The more important part is the amperage it draws and, by virtue, the wattage it generates.

But the whole idea of IU1 or IU2 is just a configuration in your transmitter. It has little to do with the motor itself. If you're saying that the speed doesn't change between the two then it more than likely has to do with the actual throttle values you've specified and/or your throttle endpoints in the transmitter. It's a well known fact that EFlite ESCs have a deadband above 80% if the endpoints are not calibrated in the transmitter. So anything above 80% is basically the same as 100%. For anyone to be able to help you further they'll need to know some more specific information.
  • Specific model # of the motor (to make sure it's not pulling more than 35A)
  • The # of teeth on the pinion and main gear (to estimate headspeed)
  • Your transmitter's throttle curve configuration for all flight modes. (to understand the difference between your IU1 and IU2 settings)
  • Your transmitter's throttle endpoint configured values. (to understand if it's a deadband issue or not)
Nelsonisms is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Also it would be useful to know what exactly is or is not happening when you go into IU2. IE is it as Nelsonisms suggests your headspeed does not increase? Does your motor stop (highly unlikely but just included to give an idea of the sort of info we need). If you let us know anything that you notice the heli does when IU2 is activated (no matter how small or trivial you think it is) it would help point people in the direction of a cure.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

-It's this motor;http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...50_class_.html
-12 tooth pinion
-Throttle curve is flat 80 in IU1. Flat 90 in IU2
No response in IU2. Only when I switch to IU1. When I switch to IU2 it stays at the same head speed.
When I look at the indication on my Tx (dx7) it shows that the throttle jumps up when switched.
It's a good motor... Had it in my other helis (with Align 35a ESC) with no problems... (Wish I didn't sell it...)
Old 01-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just put the Turnigy 2218H in my Blade 450 3D to replace my last 440 motor. When I switch into IU1, I can barely tell a difference in headspeed either. My settings go from about 75% in standard mode to IU1 at 100%. It definitely has less power than the 440 but I don't have to worry about the bearings anymore. Since I'm starting my Forza build I'm not too worried about it. If I plan on keeping the Blade I will just get an 11 tooth pinion. I look forward to seeing what you find out.
NewToRC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToRC View Post
I just put the Turnigy 2218H in my Blade 450 3D to replace my last 440 motor. When I switch into IU1, I can barely tell a difference in headspeed either. My settings go from about 75% in standard mode to IU1 at 100%. It definitely has less power than the 440 but I don't have to worry about the bearings anymore. Since I'm starting my Forza build I'm not too worried about it. If I plan on keeping the Blade I will just get an 11 tooth pinion. I look forward to seeing what you find out.
Hummm....
Old 01-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I also put a 2218 in my FBL blade400 and it bogs badly with a 12t pinion. It is much quieter than the 420 stock motor tho so I actually can hear blade noise that I've never heard before with a 450. I'm going to swap it with a 2215 and see if that works better while I wait for the 11t pinion I ordered.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't find the thread but I remember reading somewhere that the way the stock ESC is programmed, 86% throttle via the radio is actually treated as 100% throttle on the stock esc due to how it receives commands from the AR7200BX, among other limitations of the stock ESC. I think this is due to the stock ESC not really having programmable throttle end points. Maybe try picking up a better after market ESC that can program throttle end points and report back?

Edit, found the link:

https://www.helifreak.com/archive/in.../t-489792.html

Last edited by Flipwit; 01-23-2015 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Found the link!
Flipwit is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unfortunately it is the deadband that Nelsonisms mentioned in his post that is causing the problem. 80% (or thereabouts) is full throttle on the stock esc. You will not get the motor to spin any faster than it does at 80% throttle.

If you want a lower Throttle Curve for IU1 you could try around 55-60% (this should get an equivalent of around 80% if you had full throttle at 100% TC) and have IU2 set to 80-85% (this is equivalent to 100% if you had full throttle at 100%TC).

The link Flipwit provides explains this.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Makes sense... Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in