Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Audacity

Audacity Audacity Pantera Helicopters Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #81 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Based on some rough calculations based around the pack use during the shakedown testing I should get around 4-5 minutes with my 3700mAH packs. I'm not sure if that's typical for a 10s setup or not. It sounds about right to me anecdotally. I'll probably tune the headspeed lower as well as one of the final steps.

comments welcome.
Jer
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #82 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok, New EPantera in the Hanger for Servo upgrades!!! Promodeler 140oz!

Jer
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Old 11-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #83 (permalink)
Registered Users

Been out of helicopters for awhile, flying IMAC. Miss helis. Anyhow I have a NIB original version Pantera 50 coming from a private owner. Probably will go nitro with my trusty old OS 50 hyper. At some point would be interested in the electric conversion and considering the Stage I conversion. Question: does the conversion work with older version P50 frames and looking at your pictures, does the pinion shaft actually go into the original clutch bearing. Or is the bearing holder there just to secure the frames. Thanks. Your conversion looks good.

Last edited by bmnewland; 11-19-2014 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Added info.
bmnewland is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #84 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're referring to a stage II, then yes, the motor's shaft does meet up with the bearing within the clutch bell. Is this your question?
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
jbeech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #85 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought this thread was a stage I conversion. The very first post in this thread the builder is showing pictures and it looks like the pinion is very close to the bearing block and did not know if an extension of the shaft went into the bearing. Hope I am asking this correctly. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited by bmnewland; 11-19-2014 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
Old 11-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #86 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnewland View Post
Been out of helicopters for awhile, flying IMAC. Miss helis. Anyhow I have a NIB original version Pantera 50 coming from a private owner. Probably will go nitro with my trusty old OS 50 hyper. At some point would be interested in the electric conversion and considering the Stage I conversion. Question: does the conversion work with older version P50 frames and looking at your pictures, does the pinion shaft actually go into the original clutch bearing. Or is the bearing holder there just to secure the frames. Thanks. Your conversion looks good.
Questions:
1. Does the conversion work with older version P50 frames? Yes
2. Does the pinion shaft actually go into the original clutch bearing? Yes

Jer
Old 11-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #87 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Jermo and John. How do you like the electric conversion?
Old 11-20-2014, 05:58 AM   #88 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love it, the same stability of the Pantera Nitro with the convenience of an electric. Flight times on my nitro are still way better.
Jer
Old 11-20-2014, 06:11 AM   #89 (permalink)
Registered Users

Brad,

OK, I have reviewed more of the thread and can better respond.

Both Pantera electric models (stage I and stage II) use the bearing above the shaft to support the pinion at both ends because an electric motor's shaft can bend under load, and this precludes this happening.

Background: initial flight testing revealed the electric Pantera to be great fun, but when pushed, the same thing happened as with other models with an unsupported pinion (e.g. designs which use only the motor's bearings to position the pinion gear against the spur gear). Basically, the shaft bends under load and the increased backlash led to stripping the spur gear.

Solution: by simply supporting the pinion gear at both ends, the results are no more stripped gears!

Does this answer your question?
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
Old 11-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #90 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, thank you. What are some the flight times using different motor battery combinations.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #91 (permalink)
Registered Users

Perhaps you missed it but if you click on the photo of the various motors (excepting the Pmax), there is a guide to what you may reasonably expect for each motor in the way of flight times with a Pantera.

Motors - http://www.audacitymodels.com/search...earchText=PDRM

This said, absent the exact pack, data on how you fly, plus how you've set the model up, these are very rough figures. This is where using one of our DataLog ESCs is very helpful.

ESC - http://www.audacitymodels.com/search...earchText=PDRE

Speaking of which, without question, our most popular ESC is the PDRE5120DLHV.

120A HV - http://www.audacitymodels.com/Produc...V/Default.aspx

Anyway, give me a call (the phone number is below), tell me what you want to do, and I'll guide best I can.
AMA # 47381, IRCHA #745
Old 11-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #92 (permalink)
Registered Users

Definitely get with John, I fly by timer and don't try to push my packs yet. In the near future I'll be flying with full telemetry so I'll base my flights on minimum cell voltage
Jer
Old 11-22-2014, 09:10 PM   #93 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks guys. Will check out motors on website and talk to John if decide to go electric.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #94 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just remember you aren't alone and many of us are willing to help here, over the phone, or if anyone is local then meet up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in