Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN400 View Post
Just a couple of thoughts.

I don't see how that picture (which I have not seen nor wish to see) has any educational value whatsoever. I don't need a picture to explain what damage 700mm blades can do. The reports on the 4(?) deaths last year is all I need to rest assured those blades are potentially devastating, if I hadn't already thought about what could possibly happen. The flying lawnmower analogy is not far fetched. A picture won't add anything in the education dept.
First thing I did when I saw this thread was to search for the picture. It wasn't difficult to find. Morbid curiosity, no doubt, but also a desire to understand precisely what these things can do. I'm scared of them when I fly them (250+), and I'm even more scared when others fly them around me. Fear can sometimes be a protector, and the picture induces fear, hence the educational value.

As for the person who released it, their action is morally reprehensible, no doubt about that. It is not for them to release pictures of another family's dead son into the public domain. What's done is done, however, and the image is now indelibly available for all to see. I do believe pilots of big RC helicopters would benefit from its instructive value.
H2SO4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't think law enforcement is equipped to determine the cause of a RC helicopter accident, so findings will likely be of little value to the RC community.

I don't need the pictures to tell me there is lethal potential in flying helicopters. I fly a good distance from myself ever since I crashed a 450 within 10 feet of myself. My 450 crash incident was enough to give me pause, reflect and adopt a determination to follow some basic common sense rules.

I've not seen the pictures and will not seek them out.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is definitely educational factor.

When people plug in their main packs in the bench area, I step away and do not turn my back until it's out of there and on the way to the flight line.

I take ultra care when I see large machines all around me.

Trust me, more pictures the better. Yes there will always be the morbidly curious, but having worked in the "claims" dept of an insurance company (you would not believe the types of pics we used to have to look at), it put the fear and hence caution in me.

Pics like that, are unfortunate to have leaked out. But they have value. Not for you maybe, but you do not represent everyone. Numbers game, remember?

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
PRÔTOS 500 StretchVbar HK-3026
rchelijc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
HeliNY
The city was launching an investigation and halting all flying in the park until it reached a conclusion. I have not heard anything since that announcement at the time of the accident.
I would like to know where you got that information from. We been in contact with the NYC NYPD and NYC parks department where our field is located and the scene of the accident. And from day one and up till today - There was NEVER any suspension of flying at our field or any NYC parks R/C field.

Since this was reviewed as an accident the “formal” investigation was passed down from the NYPD to the NYC Parks department. – But only in point of making the fields safer for all users of the Parks. The National and local AMA reps has been great in lending their helping hands in this.

We may never really know what happen to Roman Jr. But please let’s all remember him as being a great all around guy and one heck of a pilot !

(For those that do not know me)
David Yuen
President SRW R/C Heli Club
dyuen888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Roman Pirozek Investigation Results?

The information probably came from mis-interpreting the councilman's comment in this article (my guess):

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/09/07...klyn-park.html
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks..

I'm not a fan of mis-leading information, so I'm just trying to correct it at the source.
dyuen888 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
First thing I did when I saw this thread was to search for the picture. It wasn't difficult to find.
Quote:
As for the person who released it, their action is morally reprehensible, no doubt about that.
Humm...
Old 03-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

We it's on the internet now. So it's not going away.

The poor man is dead. Why it happened is really kind of pointless. He's gone. We are here to try to see it doesn't happen again. Those that fly close to themselves are only asking for trouble. I'm not preaching safety, I'm preaching common sense. There are those that drive 90 mph and think nothing of it. IMO a lack of common sense. It only takes a moment for something bad to happen and then you're no longer with us.

I've seen the inside of my own leg when I was 10 from a motorcycle accident. And that was enough for me. I don't seek out these pics. I am curious yes. But I have my own kids and don't want to see it. I feel bad for his patents. God rest his soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdane View Post
Humm...
If it's confusing, I suggest considering the difference between doing something immoral (posting the image) and seeking out an image which was made public through an immoral act.

Anyway, it's not my place to moralise or to excuse anything or anyone. The lad is dead, even though he was little more than a child. The lessons taught by the manner of his demise should not be ignored.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
If it's confusing, I suggest considering the difference between doing something immoral (posting the image) and seeking out an image which was made public through an immoral act.

Anyway, it's not my place to moralise or to excuse anything or anyone. The lad is dead, even though he was little more than a child. The lessons taught by the manner of his demise should not be ignored.
Retracted... Be nice cbdane!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Saftey

Sad for the Roman Pirozek father and family, sorry for your loss and hope we all learn that there is a danger and that Roman's life has meaning even after his death. I love my heli and every time I wind it up, it gets my attention. I love 3D, but always at a distance. I know, I may look stupid, but I have even thought of wearing a football/baseball helmet. I would rather look stupid, than dead and stupid, I mean after all, it is a flying ginsu knife. I also wonder why we don't build portable fences that we can bring to the field to stand behind. Again to Roman's family, truly sorry for you loss. God Bless!
212pictures is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: Roman Pirozek Investigation Results?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212pictures View Post
Sad for the Roman Pirozek father and family, sorry for your loss and hope we all learn that there is a danger and that Roman's life has meaning even after his death. I love my heli and every time I wind it up, it gets my attention. I love 3D, but always at a distance. I know, I may look stupid, but I have even thought of wearing a football/baseball helmet. I would rather look stupid, than dead and stupid, I mean after all, it is a flying ginsu knife. I also wonder why we don't build portable fences that we can bring to the field to stand behind. Again to Roman's family, truly sorry for you loss. God Bless!
I agree.. For a start, two wooden stakes 1m apart should be easy to do, and would take at least the lethality away after a blade strike on them.

PRÔTOS 500 Brain HK-3026
PRÔTOS 500 StretchVbar HK-3026
rchelijc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 02:14 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212pictures View Post
I have even thought of wearing a football/baseball helmet.
Every bit of extra precaution contributes to the overall level of safety, but my guess is that even a helmet would not have saved this lad.

A military-grade helmet might have turned the impact into blunt force trauma, but the sheer kinetic energy of that blade would still have been deadly. A plastic sports helmet wouldn't have done a thing.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliNY View Post
If that was my son I'd take whoever took and released that picture to court. Have it taken down or else.
Problem is it's on thousands of people's hard drives by now and will keep making appearances in image board shock threads where it will be downloaded and saved by thousands more every time. Once it's out there it's out there forever.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 02:06 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code3Medic View Post
For those that are simply curious, let me describe my analysis the day of the accident as a paramedic: in a busy city with trauma surgeons close by, paramedics don't leave a body on scene unless there are injuries incompatible with life.

This should be sufficient for most folks, IMO.
Russell Harding is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

I myself have suffered bad accidents that have caused me to see the inside of my own body. Personally it didn't make me sick. But seeing it on someone else makes me sick as hell. I can just handle damage to my own body better than seeing it on others. I have no desire to see this young mans death photo. He died. But there is a side of me that wants to know. But I refuse to give in to it.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Once it's on the net it's there forever. As many people who have found out who put up pics of themselves in not so much clothes.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am a relative noob to the "sport" of RC helicopters. While it is a wonderful hobby, I fully understand the dangers involved. I too am more worried about the capabilities of other RC pilots, especially those involved in "3D" flying, than I am about my own abilities - - I know what I am not capable of doing and will do my best to keep others out of harms way.

That being said, as a retired peace officer with collision investigation and reconstruction experience, it was NEVER proper to post photos involving fatality victims or those suffering serious injuries (and I am still loath to see those!). I cannot see the point of having done so with an RC helicopter accident either. My prayers are with the Pirozek family. . . . .
Bassman12350 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

A simple illustration of a skull and crossbones is enough to get the message across for a poison. You don't need to see a dead body.

I had a friend who became a cop, but couldn't stomach some calls. I understand how things like that can be useful for those in medical, emergency, and law enforcement fields, but there is no reason for it to public.

If you can't understand the danger of something through basic symbols, warning labels, manuals, and common sense, then you need to evaluate yourself, not graphic images.

If someone wants to publish their own injuries, fine, but there's no respect in posting someone else's tragedy like this.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:05 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtim23 View Post
A simple illustration of a skull and crossbones is enough to get the message across for a poison. You don't need to see a dead body.

I had a friend who became a cop, but couldn't stomach some calls. I understand how things like that can be useful for those in medical, emergency, and law enforcement fields, but there is no reason for it to public.

If you can't understand the danger of something through basic symbols, warning labels, manuals, and common sense, then you need to evaluate yourself, not graphic images.

If someone wants to publish their own injuries, fine, but there's no respect in posting someone else's tragedy like this.
I'm going to suggest the complete opposite.

Nothing is going to save Roman Pirozek - so the next best possible outcome is if his death can prevent others dying the same way.

We now seem to live in a world where "political correctness" and "sensitivity" prevail -- and it's to our detriment.

RC Helicopters as a sport is fraught with potential dangers - and is male dominated, with male egos playing far too big a part far too often; the "10 foot tall and bullet proof - it only happens to other people - it can't happen to me" syndrome. What I think would benefit safety in the sport the most would be for each and every flyer to have a copy of "that photo" stuck somewhere where they saw it before every flight; a stark reminder of what these things are capable of.

No doubt nobody will agree with me, but that's just the way I see it.

Lets fly safe out there today. And tomorrow. And the next day too.
jshqSeGH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fatal crash, roman pirozek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in