Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Awful noise when starting

I know there was a thread a while back about squeaking noises when starting the engine. I've been having this noise for a while now and have just dealt with it, until I started having trouble starting it up. I referenced what some suggested in the old thread, and I ended up replacing the starter shaft, coupler, all starter shaft bearings, clutch bell bearing, and put a new clutch on. Well, after all that, she still sounds like she's going to explode on startup. I pulled the glow plug out and ran my starter on it and it was smooth as silk, but when I replaced the plug, the noise was back. I'm at a loss. It's late so I haven't actually put fuel through it to start it, I was just dry motoring. Any suggestions?

T-Rex 470LP...
TCipolla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Ahh, the good 'ol Raptor squeal. Typically this is caused by the one way bearing in your clutch. I would replace the clutch or bearing if you have the capability and like to be hands on. Replacing the entire clutch would minimize downtime. I think that's definitely where your problem lies though. I've experienced this many, many times.
Phillips0417 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Well, I probably should have just gone the easy route and only replaced the clutch, but I went all out and replaced the starter shaft too. Got everything replaced, took her to the field and got about 2 minutes of flight and heard the most awful noise. She started to lose power (engine running fine) so I autoed her in. Found the main gear with no teeth on it. Chewed all to hell. Ordered the gear, disassembled everything again and now I find my pinion gear to be bent. How that happened I have no idea. UGH.

T-Rex 470LP...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pinion bent You might want to check your fan nut Sometimes they back off. Could be putting stress on your clutch.
djaypro is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

I'll check that too. Pinion wasn't bent, just worn out. Put the new pinion in the clutch bell assembly and it's smooth as silk. Where the support bearing sat was worn on the pinion allowing some slop.

T-Rex 470LP...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in