Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support > Bantam

Bantam Bantam e-Station Charger Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaheli View Post
I have an Align battery. Which balance board do I need for the BC6? The EAC124, EAC128, or EAC144. If I get the EAC144, would it be ok to charge just one battery or do I always have to charge two 3S batteries with it. I have never used Lipo before and my head is spinning from all the plugs out there.
EAC124 is for Align
EAC123 is for Polyquest
EAC128 is for Kokam
EAC129 is for Thunderpower/Flightpower

The EAC144 is for Align which can do 2 3S packs or 3 2S packs. You can use it for 1 3S or 1 2S as well. I would not recommend that you not get the EAC144 board as this board was designed for situations where you discharge 2 identical packs in the aircraft at the same time so you can charge them together. For single battery use, I would not recommend it.
RC Accessory is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Talk about service! Thank you for the fast, Evan. Based on your recommendation, I think I will get the EAC124. Since I'm new to Lipo, this is probably not the time to charge two packs at the same time and getting something wrong. I'll take baby steps. Safety first.
wannaheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Bantam BC8 Chareger problem

Evan thanks for the quick reply. Now I have done more investigation and can explain to you more closely the problem.

1) I have had the batteries all checked on a voltmeter this morning and all are around the 25V mark, which indicates they are fully charged.

2) So I used the one battery on my Heli this morning and then decided to re-charge it.

3) I put the battery on the charger and this is what happens - The charger gives me an error message - "BATTERY VOL ERR CELL HIGH VOL". The 2 connections from the battery was made on the connection board in the 6-8 series ports (side by side)

4) Then I changed the connections on the connection board to the 1-3 series port and the other battery connection went into the 4-5 series port (one behind the other)

4) The battery then charges, but it indicates C4, C5 and C6 has having ZERO voltage.

Why I am I having these problems? I cant understand this? It's probably a simple error but I cant fathom this one out.

Please help me.

Cheers.
tricky dicky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Based on youtr last post, I would guess that you are using either a Thunderpower or Flightpower lipo.

For a 6S pack, you MUST use the 6-8S sockets (2 of them). Do not use the other ones. If you use the other ones you do not have the last 2 cells connected to the balancer. Hence, the balancer is seeing 4 cells, the charger is seeing 6 cells, the charger creates the error message.

I still think that you have a EAC139 board that needs replaced.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Evan, thanks buddy, at least I know which ports are the correct ones to plug into. I will get the connection board replaced - pity, as they are brand new.

You are 100% correct, I am using Evo Flight power batteries.

Just as matter of protocol, what is the correct procedure when charging the batteries - what is plugged in first and when is it appropriate to switch on the power i.e. do you make all connections, then switch on the charger, or is it OK to have the charger on before making the connections to the battery/connection board?

I will check with my friend the model code of the connection board, but the code you mentioned sounds familiar.

Cheers

Richard Cohen
Old 03-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky dicky View Post
Evan, thanks buddy, at least I know which ports are the correct ones to plug into. I will get the connection board replaced - pity, as they are brand new.

You are 100% correct, I am using Evo Flight power batteries.

Just as matter of protocol, what is the correct procedure when charging the batteries - what is plugged in first and when is it appropriate to switch on the power i.e. do you make all connections, then switch on the charger, or is it OK to have the charger on before making the connections to the battery/connection board?

I will check with my friend the model code of the connection board, but the code you mentioned sounds familiar.

Cheers

Richard Cohen
If the board is new, contact your dealer. As far as the order, it doesn't really matter.

Today I plugged my Kokam 4000 3S into the balancer first then connected the main charge leads. Usually I connect the main charge leads first. The reason for the change in order is that I am using 6mm bullets for these batteries and have to hook up 2 charge leads of different lengths since I offset the pos and neg leads on the battery. By connecting the balance tap first, I can position the battery where I need it since the charging cables are short, 8" vs 24" for my Ultra Deans charge cable. I wanted to keep them short as I will be charging at 2C with these packs.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #27 (permalink)

Default BC6 recall

Any one have any information on the recall of BC6 chargers last year

I had heard of their being a problem with the built in balancer

I've had mine for almost a year and have only recently actually measured the voltage of the individual cells with a multi meter. on every pack I have cell 2 is approximately 0.15 volts lower than the others.
obviously while balance charging the charger is not fully charging cell 2
have contacted the store I purchased the charger from and they have no information regarding a recall here in australia nor have they ever heard of any problem with the BC6.

so if anyone has any information on this it would be appreciated.
urin8 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Couple of quick questions

Couple quick questions from a hobbyist new to electric flight. I purchased the BC6 with the ThunderPower/FlightPower wiring harness. When I view the EAC129 on your website, my circuit board looks the same but the cable looks different. The EAC129 has two black wires and the rest of the wires are red. The cable I received has blue, green, yellow, orange, red, brown and two black wires. Second question. My charger came with a banana plug to alligator clip accessory. What is this used for? Thank you.
r-elliott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by urin8 View Post
Any one have any information on the recall of BC6 chargers last year

I had heard of their being a problem with the built in balancer

I've had mine for almost a year and have only recently actually measured the voltage of the individual cells with a multi meter. on every pack I have cell 2 is approximately 0.15 volts lower than the others.
obviously while balance charging the charger is not fully charging cell 2
have contacted the store I purchased the charger from and they have no information regarding a recall here in australia nor have they ever heard of any problem with the BC6.

so if anyone has any information on this it would be appreciated.
The very first production run of the BC-6 charger had a calibration issue on cell #2 on the balancer. The voltage was a bit lower on cell #2. The recall was voluntary. Not that many units were shipped worldwide when the issue was found. Here in the US, every customer that made a purchase from RC Accessory had their units swapped at.

Contact your dealer to have your unit updated.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-elliott View Post
Couple quick questions from a hobbyist new to electric flight. I purchased the BC6 with the ThunderPower/FlightPower wiring harness. When I view the EAC129 on your website, my circuit board looks the same but the cable looks different. The EAC129 has two black wires and the rest of the wires are red. The cable I received has blue, green, yellow, orange, red, brown and two black wires. Second question. My charger came with a banana plug to alligator clip accessory. What is this used for? Thank you.
The new cables with the EAC boards have different colored wires, same cable.

Bantam includes a banana plug to alligator clip charge cable with certain chargers. You can use it for anything you want, or cut the ends off and solder on deans, jst, ect.. any plug you want.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Accessory View Post
The very first production run of the BC-6 charger had a calibration issue on cell #2 on the balancer. The voltage was a bit lower on cell #2. The recall was voluntary. Not that many units were shipped worldwide when the issue was found. Here in the US, every customer that made a purchase from RC Accessory had their units swapped at.

Contact your dealer to have your unit updated.
don't suppose you know who the dealer is in australia ?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
don't suppose you know who the dealer is in australia ?
Taiwa Pty Ltd www.wattsuprc.com.au
17 Chalmers Place Sunnybank
Old 4109
Australia
Old 03-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Accessory View Post
Taiwa Pty Ltd www.wattsuprc.com.au
17 Chalmers Place Sunnybank
Old 4109
Australia
that is who I had contacted and they said
"we currently do not have the record about the problem as you mention in the mail"

how concerned would you be about this 0.15 voltage difference ? would you think it is bad for the batteries ?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

That's what I call service. Thanks for the quick reply.
r-elliott is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
that is who I had contacted and they said
"we currently do not have the record about the problem as you mention in the mail"

how concerned would you be about this 0.15 voltage difference ? would you think it is bad for the batteries ?
More than likely, they did not get any from the first production run, so they were probably unaware of it.

Contact Bantam directly, bantamtek@bantamtek.com
Old 03-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default in stock yet

i see your site says the latest charger is now in stock - is that old or did you get them in the new bc-6 ac/dc?
Nick
newbe at 1/08 - G4, CX2, W 5G6, HB FP, Falcon 3D, DX7, Trex450 SE NEW V2 build underway [phoenix35 esc, 3 times hs65mg, 9257 tail servo, 6100e RX, DX7, 401 gyro, stock motor, stock battery or similar]

AND YES, I WATCH THE WONDERFUL FINLESS VIDEOS
jnich is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnich View Post
i see your site says the latest charger is now in stock - is that old or did you get them in the new bc-6 ac/dc?
Nick
We got the new ones in a couple months ago. Right now we are out of stock until next week.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:42 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Evan, I replaced my charge board and BINGO - I can charge the batteries the way they are meant to be charged and no more error messages on the Charger. Thaks for you help and prompt replies.

Go Bantam!
Old 03-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default BC6 question

I purchased the BC6 a couple of days ago. When I balance/charge my 2S batteries the voltage of cell 1 and 2 are shown. In addition there is a voltage of around 1V being recorded against cell 6 which is not connected. Any clues on this?

In addition, while the charger goes through the charge process and completes, the actual time that I can use these batteries with my CX2 seems to have reduced when compared to using the EFlite Balance/charger. Has any one any comment on this?
dormani is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormani View Post
I purchased the BC6 a couple of days ago. When I balance/charge my 2S batteries the voltage of cell 1 and 2 are shown. In addition there is a voltage of around 1V being recorded against cell 6 which is not connected. Any clues on this?

In addition, while the charger goes through the charge process and completes, the actual time that I can use these batteries with my CX2 seems to have reduced when compared to using the EFlite Balance/charger. Has any one any comment on this?
I have not heard of that before. Contact your dealer, the board may need to be replaced.

What is the cell voltages of the 2 cells? Is the charger set for lipoly?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in