Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Mikado V-BAR

Mikado V-BAR Mikado V-Stabi/V-BAR Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default How do u tune the tail with a vbar ready yge?

Issue I'm having is with a new esc, I'm getting a tail kick (30 degrees to the right) with collective pitch that I can't easily tune out.

I recently put yge vbar ready esc on my goblin 500 (mini v bar blue) and raptor e700 (silverline). And since my tail issue developed both machines

Before I was running jives in mode 4

Is there way I can run the vbar ready escs with out using the vbar gov? As I think the vbar gov is causing the tail issue (or hiding)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have you tried routing your wires in other places? This solved it for one of my buddies.
ClubCRASH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

The esc wires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Disable the governor in the software. Just because you're wired for a governor doesn't mean you have to use it..
Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

If you haven't disabled vBar governor yet, perhaps try reducing gain and collective addition. IMO, default collective addition is way too high.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 02:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: How do u tune the tail with a vbar ready yge?

For vbar gov, choose plane middle only. No heli mode, the yge gives poor gov performance with heli middle because it switches to plane middle once you are over a specific thr input.

If you learned endpoints correctly with prog card connected to the esc out on the vbar, softstart will be fine. Startup power auto. Also tweak low end point slider for best softstart. Usually -102 or -104. Release thr hold and heli should spin without delay. When it does, raise value again.

Gain around 30. The higher the more the tail will suffer.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am running 2 YGE Mikado's ESC's and found that on both that you really need to run a gain around 16 (always less than 20). IF I didn't I had tail issues, chirping noises and poor performance.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity90 View Post
For vbar gov, choose plane middle only. No heli mode, the yge gives poor gov performance with heli middle because it switches to plane middle once you are over a specific thr input.
OP says vbar-reday YGE, I assume that means the one that can do gov-off-x3. The problem you mention is because vbar not ready YGE heli modes don't just smooth out spoolup speed but also throttle response so you'll have to run plane modes to respond to vbar gov's instant throttle changes but then you get jerk right on spoolup (the 1st rotation). The gov-off-x3 feature is to untie the spoolup and throttle response of plane/heli modes. You can get heli mode super smooth spoolup yet get plane mode instant throttle response.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

When I am using YGE and Vbar on a heli for the first time I turn the Gov gain way down or off. I tune my tail and cyclic gains and get them working good. From there I slowly up the Govenor Gain 5 points until I notice chirping or tail issues. From there I back off a few points.

On a 500-550 machine I am always around 30 on the Gov gain.

YGE Vbar Mode
Plane fast
4% spool up

On my X5 I had to add 5-10 points of collective add.
On my X4ii the default collective add was good (its a beast!)
Old 04-26-2014, 04:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
OP says vbar-reday YGE, I assume that means the one that can do gov-off-x3. The problem you mention is because vbar not ready YGE heli modes don't just smooth out spoolup speed but also throttle response so you'll have to run plane modes to respond to vbar gov's instant throttle changes but then you get jerk right on spoolup (the 1st rotation). The gov-off-x3 feature is to untie the spoolup and throttle response of plane/heli modes. You can get heli mode super smooth spoolup yet get plane mode instant throttle response.
I can't and bailout doesn't work then.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
I can't and bailout doesn't work then.
If your YGE doesn't support gov-off-x3 then you're stuck with plane mode which may get tail kick on spoolup. Set motor-off value to as low as possible without having delay when switching throttle off to spool up. This will give the least amount of tail kick possible. Even if you have vBar-ready YGE that supports gov-off-x3 and run heli mode super smooth spoolup you can still have bailout to work by running idle-bailout mode. What this does is that when you do auto, vBar will keep motor idle (won't affect auto performance). As long as motor is idle, YGE will never trigger super smooth spoolup and that means on bailout YGE will spin up to speed quickly regardless of heli mode spoolup.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleCH View Post
If your YGE doesn't support gov-off-x3 then you're stuck with plane mode which may get tail kick on spoolup. Set motor-off value to as low as possible without having delay when switching throttle off to spool up. This will give the least amount of tail kick possible. Even if you have vBar-ready YGE that supports gov-off-x3 and run heli mode super smooth spoolup you can still have bailout to work by running idle-bailout mode. What this does is that when you do auto, vBar will keep motor idle (won't affect auto performance). As long as motor is idle, YGE will never trigger super smooth spoolup and that means on bailout YGE will spin up to speed quickly regardless of heli mode spoolup.
Im flying yge+vbar gov since day one. Programming heli middle for spoolup gives poor gov performance. Multiple helis.

Helped someone a view weeks back and tested it again. Still not solved. Heli bailout doesn't work when you program Heli for spool up. Also I have no kick. Program the low end point correctly and you won't
Old 04-27-2014, 02:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Im flying yge+vbar gov since day one. Programming heli middle for spoolup gives poor gov performance. Multiple helis.
Is that with gov-off-x3 compatible YGE though? You can only use heli mode if the YGE is gov-off-x3 compatible AND program heli-middle (or fast) then gov-off 3 times then plane fast. For those YGEs that CANNOT do gov-off-x3, then of course heli mode gives poor gov performance because you cannot untie heli mod throttle response with heli mode spoolup.

Quote:
Helped someone a view weeks back and tested it again. Still not solved. Heli bailout doesn't work when you program Heli for spool up.
It absolutely works with heli mode. As I said you need idle bailout, not just auto bailout. Plus idle bailout doesn't activate until after reaching full governed HS for a good few seconds. If you reach full governed HS but don't wait a good few seconds before triggering idle bailout throttle (~20-49%), then motor will NOT maintain idle but comes to complete stop instead and will trigger soft-start on bailout.

Quote:
Also I have no kick. Program the low end point correctly and you won't
I program the motor off point and everything else correctly for my Protos stretch (470 blades) with plane mode spoolup, even with the lowest startup power it will kick right when the motor starts. I even tried disabled vBar governor, turn on plane mode on YGE, and then increase throttle from TX (directly sent to YGE) 1% at a time until motor starts and it always kick. My friend said he had no kick with his Protos non-stretch (430 blades) and when I looked at it in-person I realized he just basically ignored the kick and eventually his OWB blew, even though he has the motor-off point and everything else set correctly. He's now back to YGE internal governor and heli mode.

Here is how smooth my motor starts with heli-fast mode. Super smooth motor start not any hint of kick even if I have the heli on flat smooth glass surface.
My Stretched Protos with 13T for 470mm Blades (5 min 2 sec)
Old 04-27-2014, 03:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes off course vbar capable esc

Good to hear you don't have the problem. It's weird because everyone else has and yge knows but have not yet fixed. You must have special ones:rolleyes:

Now i will only reply on topic here.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Yes off course vbar capable esc

Good to hear you don't have the problem. It's weird because everyone else has and yge knows but have not yet fixed. You must have special ones:rolleyes:

Now i will only reply on topic here.
No special YGE. If you do gov-off-x3 sequence and YGE supports it, heli mode spoolup with plane mode throttle response works fine all the time with idle bailout when set up properly with vBar governor settings. The only cases I hear having bad governor performance are the ones running heli mode throttle response (i.e. gov-off-x3 not supported or not activated by user if supported).

Back on topic, vBar governor doesn't cause tail kick, bad settings with vBar governor will. Like Millar suggested, tame down governor performance by turning down governor gain and/or expert feature settings. Tune the tail and slowly bring back up governor performance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in