Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Got the Mini, mixed reviews..

OK, after thinkig about over the holidays I got the mini despict its $200 price difference from 450 pro. besides the YGE ESC which is better than Align 35X, I cant justify the price difference. I think the 500 protos is a lot better quality in terms of quality control with the price tag being almost the same. I dont know how it will fly but from the build perspective and quality standpoint, I cant stop to think that this is just WAY over priced. I dont think I GOT what I paid for in this instance. I have built many helis prior and this isnt the one of the top. Hirobo/ Logo will be top of my list, followed by Align VERY closely. Hope it flies better and gets it money worth. Thanks..
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitoflyer View Post
I dont think I GOT what I paid for in this instance.
Interesting.

First, the cost comparison to the 450 Pro: Yes, it's very nearly the same cost as the "big" Protos, but why wouldn't it be? The labor to make it is the same, and the materials cost is only slightly less. The YGE is so much better than the Align it's really not even fair to compare. It's better than a Castle ICE, and ranks right up there with Kontronik. The motor is of course a Scorpion, which is at least as good as Align (probably better).

From a quality standpoint, I found it to be at least the equal of its big brother, and better in some areas (particularly the tail pitch slider mounting.. brilliant!). The airframe design is more elegant than the Align, more clever in the way it goes together, and easier to maintain.

And just one more thing to throw out there: I consider the Mini Protos to be a strong competitor to the NextD Rave 450, especially once the stretch kit comes out. Have you checked the price on a Rave 450? $399.99. No motor. No blades. No ESC. It makes the Mini Protos barebones at $270 seem a bit more reasonable, doesn't it?

Anyway, the Mini Protos is certainly not cheap. I don't think anyone has advertised it as such. It's a high-end machine, and the price you must pay to play is proportional.

Last edited by JustPlaneChris; 01-27-2011 at 04:35 PM..
JustPlaneChris is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

What did u think was bad quality? I thought it was excellent quality... I know a few had trouble with the special main shaft lock but mine was fine and I didn't have any issues
michael88997 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Had zero issues with mine. Already have 30 flights on it. Much better heli than my 450Pro.
4cyclic is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree, i have had a Trex 450 Pro and the mini protos.....and the mini protos hands down flys better than the trex 450 pro, this is a hell of a deal for what u get for the price! great quality!
bigballajeff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I havent flown it yet since I only got it this tues and about done w/ the build already. I didnt think the quality was that good.. Maybe Im picky but there were times when the bearing didnt fit, found some pieces of plastic not being plumb and linkages being just too stiff. Yes, they give you the reamer but why cant it fit just right in the first place. Sometimes the reamer just dont work.

Dont get me wrong, I think its a good heli but for the price, I just cant justify it. Maybe 450 flies little under par than the mini, but I have 450 already and Im not sure how this could fly better or at least yet $200 better.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My opinion below.

Bearings: fit with some little pressure: good, so no need for loctite, there's no play and don't fall.

Ball links: tight? yes, exactly as in my 550. Better tight than loose: I can ream them to the ID I want.

Links: diameter is wider, more strong in crash: +1.

I love my Protos.

The only things I would change as beginner:
- screw on the shaft lock.
- horizontal tail fin reinforced where the front frame connects to the non cut part.
ziper_it is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im just waiting for my jazz 40 which i purchased online to arrive. Im going to use the YGE 60 on my Logo 400 since I have CC 75 in there..
Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

FWIW - I have built and flow TREX 450SA, SE, Sport, Pro, Mini Titan, Furion 450, Rave 3D, Beam and other "450" size helis that I don't even recall at the moment. Nearly all of them have been flown with and without a flybar and even multi-blade on a couple of TREX 450's. I got one of the very first Mini Protos kits and like it so well I bought and built a 2nd, both bare bones as I personally like the ICE ESC. I agree with what has already been said - it isn't intended as a low cost machine but for my part it is clearly a better engineered and flying heli than any I have flown with the possible exception of the Rave 3D w/ 350mm blades flying very, very nice. On the quality side, I put Align at the bottom of the heap and I have built and flown plenty of them. Am I an MSH bigot? I have sold every helicopter I have had except for 4 MSH helis, which is now my entire fleet. I admit to be biased. Just my 2 cents worth and differences of opinion are what keep them (and us) all in business.
rablett is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

As said before the bearings are suppose to be snug, you will quickly notice bearly any slop... The only bad I've heard is about the main collar lock which is still very limited cases... Let us know how yours flies, going to maiden mine tomorrow
michael88997 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

rablett, in the order you listed, the only one it seemed in the same league was the Rave 450. I notice you sold that one, too, though. What was it that was he deciding factor between them?

That's the choice I'm trying to sort through now (mini-protos or Rave 450). I'd mostly decided on the mini-protos, but there's still a nagging feeling that I haven't quite found a clear deciding factor and should consider it a bit more. (Sorry, don't mean to hijack the OP's thread, but if you have a quick answer I'd be grateful.)
woodworkjkt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 01:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am also trying to decide between the rave 450, beam e4 advance, pretty keen on the mini P, I might pull the trigger if my local hobby shop has them in stock aswell as mini vbar.
Brutis is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

my mini is pretty much set. I have it w/ FBL w/ beastX w/ align 410's and 9257 futaba. I just have to set the Jazz 40 ESC.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did notice that mini is lighter than the 450 pro.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael88997 View Post
As said before the bearings are suppose to be snug, you will quickly notice bearly any slop... The only bad I've heard is about the main collar lock which is still very limited cases... Let us know how yours flies, going to maiden mine tomorrow
The problem is not really with the collar, which is very good looking, but with the screw that locks it and that may get damaged when unscrewing it. So not a real issue.
ziper_it is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

the screw in the collar is definately the issue....should have been a normal hardware screw....the regular 2x6mm u use for the frame, the screw they use is like cuz of the shape, it will strip even if u blink at it wrong. it has to be made thin cuz of the shape and how it has to set in the collar for it to clear the plastic on the sides of the bearing block... ..... the heli is amazing, definately flys better than the trex 450 pro in my eyes and like stated earlier, definately weighs less than the 450 pro....the mini protos is a keeper!! great design! Great Job MSH!
bigballajeff is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I got the esc set up ,but am missing a nut to clamp the main blades.. I have to find a spare, but I did spool it up and noticed heavy vibrations on it. Is my belt to tight? I have it set up so that it hardly has any auto.

btw, whats the issue w/ the collar screw? I had no issue when I built mine..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in