Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default outer swash balls for fbl

Hey guys/freaks, using the longer swash balls which came in the kit for use with the fbl head, I get binding of the cyclic ball links, with the canopy standoffs with negative pitch + roll. It's flyable, but certainly not an ideal situation. I was thinking about taking to the standoffs with a dremel and maybe the ball links as well, but then wondered what about using the short balls and maybe 13.5mm on the servo horns? Surely I can't be the only one who has struck this problem. I'm using Microbeast.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had to use the short balls on mine to make the SK happy with the setup, the long ones dont give enough cyclic pitch for me. SO it should work, especially if the BX is still in the blue with the short balls.
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, mine was the same, I had to use the short balls for the Skookum and just changed it out for a BeastX, but left the short balls on the swash. I get the Blue light no problem.

//Dennis.
Thunder Fighter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
Yep, mine was the same, I had to use the short balls for the Skookum and just changed it out for a BeastX, but left the short balls on the swash. I get the Blue light no problem.

//Dennis.
You get blue with the short balls on the outer swash with beastx but where are the balls on your servos?? Are they still at the reccommended distance in the manual.
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
You get blue with the short balls on the outer swash with beastx but where are the balls on your servos?? Are they still at the reccommended distance in the manual.
In my case, farthest hole on the DS95 arms, which if i recall is about the right distance (might have been off by a half mm or so).
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
In my case, farthest hole on the DS95 arms, which if i recall is about the right distance (might have been off by a half mm or so).
Thanks but I am kinda waiting to hear from thunder fighter as he has a beasty on it.I to want to get rid of the long fbl balls for the same reason and I am running beastx.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep, servo balls at 15mm on DS410 servos.

//Dennis.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Fighter View Post
Yep, servo balls at 15mm on DS410 servos.

//Dennis.
Thanks so much! This solves the only little quirk I have had with the mini.Me not being a full bore 3d flier made the slight lack of neg and roll not so much an issue but this heli has me flying harder and harder so this solves it all. Should be no different with ds95's
Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, thanks guys. Will break out the short balls.
Scott, the problem could've been worse with the DS95s because the horns look to be slightly further aft comparing them to my other mini with Hitecs. Anyway, the short balls should fix the problem.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Dunnit, re setup and got blue& test flown. Sweet as!
Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great to hear, I still need to play a little with the beast settings, tail is perfrect but cyclic could use some work. I will be going to the Radix 350 FBL as they are a fair bit heavier and more stable than the SAB's I am hearing from the guys flying them here.

//Dennis.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Doh! I'm using the Radix and I was thinking of changing to the SABs cos I'm afraid of the Radix - double the footpounds if something goes wrong. They are very stable though. Maybe I'll leave 'em on.
Hey, one thing I found with SABs, at least the 325mm ones, when my Blade 450 ate dirt with SABs, they broke off clean near the root and minimised other damage to the bird. Edge blades on the other hand, did the opposite.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've been planning on switching to the shorter balls as well.
I'm using the DS95's and have the ball on the furthest hole in the servo arm.
The links do slightly rub the canopy posts, which I do not like.

Also, when setting up the Microbeast I got the blue light on at around 4.5degrees. Way overkill and a waste of resolution. What this does is make the servos have to travel further to get a given angle. Hopefully with the short balls it will be in the 5.5 to just under 6 territory.

The other thing I don't like is the servo ball mounted on the DS95 horn in the outermost hole. I'm worried that there is only a tiny amount of plastic left due to the enlarged hole created by the ballstud. Seems like its an easy fracture point.
Moving in one hole could be a solution but that will decrease the collective pitch range.

I'm not sure if there are any other servo horns that fit the DS95's, I believe they are not a standard Futaba or JR spline. Anyone using anything else?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by snemi00 View Post
I've been planning on switching to the shorter balls as well.
I'm using the DS95's and have the ball on the furthest hole in the servo arm.
The links do slightly rub the canopy posts, which I do not like.

Also, when setting up the Microbeast I got the blue light on at around 4.5degrees. Way overkill and a waste of resolution. What this does is make the servos have to travel further to get a given angle. Hopefully with the short balls it will be in the 5.5 to just under 6 territory.

The other thing I don't like is the servo ball mounted on the DS95 horn in the outermost hole. I'm worried that there is only a tiny amount of plastic left due to the enlarged hole created by the ballstud. Seems like its an easy fracture point.
Moving in one hole could be a solution but that will decrease the collective pitch range.

I'm not sure if there are any other servo horns that fit the DS95's, I believe they are not a standard Futaba or JR spline. Anyone using anything else?
Good point with the resolution with beastx and just another good reason to go to the short balls on the outer swash. I would not worry one bit about the ball being on the outer hole on the ds95 servo horns. If you think about it there is just as much "meat" there as would be with the ball in an inner hole with a hole next to it. They are not gonna fail in flight and possibly will save stripping gears in a bad crash as you want the arm to shear before the servo gears strip. As a matter of fact mks has purpousely made their servo arms for the ds95 a bit thinner but not much to act as a fuse. I simply would not worry about the ball in the outer hole. Moving it in a hole and going to the short balls on the swash you will probably end up with about the same resolution you are trying to fix in the first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in