Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Hawaiian Island Challenge!!!

WOW man.... this WAS A fun CONTEST!
I have to do another one soon

Anyway here are the winners with a video and please watch to the end to see Hawaii and see the contestants!

Watch the video! (Click this link)

For those that don't want to download the video here are the results

The winner is Carl (Speedbmp1) with "Over the Rainbow"
Carl wins the Swift I used in all my build videos. I am also personally throwing in the servos, 401 gyro, and DS821 tail servo (Carl order a 9254 as you will want that). It also comes with the Century 600+ motor and 80amp ESC. All he needs is a RX and a battery....
Also a set of SAB 550's which

BUT WAIT... Carl I am going to toss in a FP 3700 6S pack that is a little older but will help get you started!

Second place is Kyle (Wormburner)
Kyle was the first entry and honestly until the last day, the ONLY entry! I did think he would win by default! Anyway Kyle's entry was awesome! Mahalo Kyle!
Kyle wins a Blade CX II from RCHover.com and a brand new 401 gyro provided by Helifreak user Mercuriell (John). John is a KICK ARSE dude guys... he provided this out of his OWN stock so Kyle please give a thanks to John man!

Third Place is Jesse (helinhawaii)
Jesse I love your low pases and roles man! Super nice
Jesse also wins a Blade CX II from RCHover.com and a brand new Tanic 3S 2200 pack again from Mercuriell (John)'s personal stash! Please take the time to say thanks to John!

For all 3 pilots K2 CNC (fireup on helifreak) also provided a CNC swash link setup tool to all 3 people. Thanks Kevin!

In the end thanks to all 3 of you for submitting! I cant believe more people from the isnalnds did not submit a entry but hey... THIER LOSS

Enjoy,
Bob

First Entry!
Kyle (HF user wormburner) - Island Oahu
VIDEO -> Kyle (wormburner) from Oahu (32 Megs)

Second Entry!
VIDEO -> Heliinhawaii from Oahu (50 Megs)

Third Entry!
VIDEO -> Speedbmp1 from Oahu (50 Megs)

Dang guys talk about submitting at the last minute! Now you guys have given me a HARD decision! I have to pick one......

May the best man win and I will pick a winner by Friday 11/24

I have to say thanks to all 3 of you for a GREAT submittal!!!! I love them all really I do.

Ok this is just for me and is a tribute to my Mother who passed away 3 months ago. This is very personal to me and I want to do something that I know my mother would acknowledge.

This is a contest open ONLY to Hawaiian brothers and sisters!

So you know my mother loved living in Hawaii and I was conceived there 48 years ago (unfortunately not born there). But my mother loved the Hawaiian islands and traditions. She taught school (English) to many generations of Hawaiians on the big island for may years. My Mother LOVED the islands and this she instilled in me all my life even until her death this year. I wish she could have passed in the place she loved! So you know I think she wanders there now with Hawaiians she has known and grew up with! I know this in my heart!

When I was getting close to being born my parents moved to the mainland for financial reasons and thus I was not born there BUT.... as I said above my Mother wanted with all her life to return and she instilled in me this desire. I personally love the Hawaiian islands and culture and myself have been there at least 100+ times in my 48 years of life (the majority of times when I was young and with my Mother and Father).

One day I hope to fulfill my Mothers desire (and mine) and return to where her heart was and really where I believe my heart lies!

OK enough of the sentiment.... Lets get onto this contest!!!
What I want to do is extend something to people out on the islands that cant be part of all the RC Heli stuff that goes on here on the mainland! I have chatted with many of you all living there a few times but this is JUST FOR YOU!

I have a Swift that I built for the Century Swift videos. This I will give away for this contest! It is the heli only NO electronics but it does have ALL the metal upgrades. If the winner wants after the contest they can send me all the electronics and I will setup and fly the heli before shipping. THIS is all free of cost and I will pay shipping to Hawaii.

The Contest:
The contest is to fly to Hawaiian music and show me something different and Hawaiian!
I WILL be the judge and decide if I like it or not! So you know I want something different that flows with the island style! STICK BANGING will probably not fly unless it works with the music. So you know I love many island music styles but some of my favorites are Contemporary and from artist like:
Keali`i Reichel
Uluwehi Guerrero
and many more!

So the RULES are:
1) You must LIVE on the Hawaiian Islands to submit a entry.
2) You must show a video flying to Hawaiian music.
3) You must in the video show WHO you are and WHERE you are flying, and most of all HAVE FUN!

The contest will end November 18th after which I will be in Hawaii the week of November 24 in O'ahu so I can personally deliver the heli that week! If your on another island and cant come to O'ahu then thats OK I will ship it!

That’s it. I look forward to my Brothers and Sisters doing something Island Style!
Lets see what you got!

Mahalo!

Bob

OK this is down right AWESOME!!!

So all 3 of you guys know, you all will be getting something for your wonderful entries. I will announce the winner of the Swift tomorrow AM 11/23.

But first off some Helifreakers have really stepped up to make this great. So many people loved all 3 entries that some folks have kicked in some extra prizes.

First big thanks to John (Mercuriell) as he has kicked in a brand new 401 gyro for the 2nd place person AND kicked in a brand new 3S Tannic pack for 3rd place. This is out of his OWN personal inventory and that just rocks.

Then Jeremy at RCHover saw the vids and in conversation with Will James decided to toss in 2 Blade CX helicopters! So 2nd place and 3rd place will get one of these as well.

Now I also decided to up the first place prize! I said the heli would come with no electronics right? WRONG.... I will put in 3 DS821 servos for cyclic, a 401 gyro, and I am going to put back in the 600+ motor and 80 amp ESC. Basically all that is needed to fly it will be 550mm blades, a RX, and a battery!

Another helifreaker that loved the videos has tossed in a set of SAB 550's blades for the Swift!!! That rocks....

OK and it just keeps rolling in RDLohr has kick in a set of "Clear Night Fins" for 2nd and 3rd place! Thanks Rick!

Thanks to all the freakers that have chipped in to help the contestants. This is just unbelievable. What a community of people man

So the bad news is I wont be able to get the electronics in the heli before I leave for Hawaii. I will have to do that after I return and ship it to the winner. Same goes for the other prizes as they will have to be shipped too.

So guys you entries really caught some peoples eye's and your all winners!

Stay tuned as tomorrow AM the winners will be announced. I still am hoping you all can make it to my hotel for a little awards reception Sunday. I am thinking 4:00 would be good? Please come back and let me know.

Bob

Last edited by Finless; 04-29-2008 at 03:30 AM..
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2007, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Bob.... that is so cool and different. I too used to live in Hawaii and it will always be a second home. I plane on taking my helis with me next January when I visit my Ohana on O'ahu. If anyone would like to fly with me while I'm there hit me and we will do it!

Anyways, it's just awesome Bob.... great idea.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Not that I can enter, but I'm gonna be on Kauai that same week.. Where on Oahu are you going to be? I want to hit that island to check out my old neighborhood at some point during the trip..

No helicopters were harmed in the creation of this post.
AMA CD # 7309, Turbine Waiver# RW 890
Click Here For Bergen Intrepid Turbine Build Videos
Skiddz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 07:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Very cool contest Bob!!

Can't wait to see the videos!!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Conctact bullaculla here on the Freak. I met him this past spring at a local flying (Oahu) and hung out with local heli guys. Great fun, good guy.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default That's Cool Bob!!!!

Bob, I'm sorry to hear about your mother! I didn't see that posting. I lost my father a few years ago and it's tough.

I used to live on the Big Island from 1994-1997 and I can tell you it's a beautiful place. My youngest son was born at Hilo Hospital in 94. I also left because of financial problems and my father was sick. Although I don't have a real desire to go back I do miss the friends that I made there. The Hawaiian's treated me like family and that I will never forget. Unfortunately, the hawaiian population and traditions has really declined on the Islands.

I can't imagine flying my Trex in those winds.

Andre
ahperson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2007, 06:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Bob I'll fly to the song wipe out hopefully the flight doesn't end in one......LOL Now i just need some skill and a cameraman brave enough...hehehe j/k It would be cool if you could stop by our flight field when your in town. If you need a way or directions let me know.....

Later
Sheldon
808heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2007, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808heli View Post
Hey Bob I'll fly to the song wipe out hopefully the flight doesn't end in one......LOL Now i just need some skill and a cameraman brave enough...hehehe j/k It would be cool if you could stop by our flight field when your in town. If you need a way or directions let me know.....

Later
Sheldon
GO FOR IT! I cant wait to see some vids!

Bob
Old 08-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Unhappy

I wish I lived in Hawaii.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Work in Iraq, live on Oahu...if I manage to get my 450 here and fly do I qualify?
rennster is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennster View Post
Work in Iraq, live on Oahu...if I manage to get my 450 here and fly do I qualify?
Well I would prefer the video to be shot in Hawaii but yes you can enter since I assume your over there serving our country and cant fly where you live right now.

Bob
Old 08-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great contest Bob! I have to agree with the sentiment on the Hawaiian islands. I was stationed on Oahu from 1996-2000 (Wheeler Army Airfield) and miss that place so much. I'll give an arm and a leg to go back!!!
AMA #976001
HELIS: TREX 500 (6s), Trex 600 ESP (12S) & Trex 550 (12S): ALL FBL
PLANKS: Hangar 9 Pulse 60, Alpha 40 & Great Planes Revolver
nieves50 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 01:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808heli View Post

Later
Sheldon
Let me know Shel. I'll shoot it for you!
i'm gonna pass on the entry, my flying skill are still quite unimpressive...
But I do look forward to meeting you Bob. We can all get together. There are quite a few really good 3D pilots around here.
Later!
:mrgreen:

:edit:
how about an AP video with hawaiian BGM? :
bullaculla is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 02:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullaculla View Post
Let me know Shel. I'll shoot it for you!
i'm gonna pass on the entry, my flying skill are still quite unimpressive...
But I do look forward to meeting you Bob. We can all get together. There are quite a few really good 3D pilots around here.
Later!
:mrgreen:

:edit:
how about an AP video with hawaiian BGM? :
Honestly it doesn't matter how good you are! The beauty is I am the judge and thus I pick the winner! I will be looking for the music choice and how well you fly to it! 3D pilots with lots of skill may not win this thing! I want something that is cool, flows with the island style, and works! YES AP work that shows the beauty of the islands with music is something that could win. If I like it than heck yes! AP is something I hadn't thought of so surprise me man

GO FOR IT..... I am the judge and will pick what I like the best and 3D skills "may" not be something that will win this competition! Again Island style, music and how it all flows is what I am looking for as a judge. If you think you cant win this as a basic flier THINK AGAIN! I am looking for creativity and something new and not just hot 3d flying to Hawaiian music! Look at my flying man! I aint a hot 3D pilot In fact good chance I will be bored by the same old 3d stuff to Hawaiian music! I offered this up looking for something NEW and thats what I am looking for. BE CREATIVE and do something island style

Bob
Old 08-24-2007, 12:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey 808heli, how about "Hookipa surf song" by Willie K.
Victor
victornhi is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by victornhi View Post
Hey 808heli, how about "Hookipa surf song" by Willie K.
Victor
Thats sounds good! I like that artist..... DO IT....

Bob
Old 09-03-2007, 12:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Aloha Bob
This sounds like a fun contest. Where do we send the video's to? If you need anything while on your visit let me know I have both planes and heli's avaliable. Both flying fields here are great, nice people and some top 3d talent. If you have time for lunch or a maitai let me know. I'll pm my phone number
Bungee
BungeeMike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Youtube or google video will work for sending the vids.
Also you can PM me and I can set up a home FTP server you can send them to as well.

Bunbgee I got your PM and THANKS! I will PM you back later today.

Bob
Old 09-22-2007, 02:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

OK I also posted this in the FIRST post of this topic....

First Entry!
Kyle (HF user wormburner) - Island Oahu
VIDEO -> Kyle (wormburner) from Oahu (32 Megs)

Are you all from Hawaii going to let Kyle win by defualt? Comon folks... Enter some vids
Old 09-22-2007, 03:58 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I just landed on Maui today. Your mother was a wise woman Bob (falling in love with these islands). I'll be here until the 29th, and will volunteer to help with the video if anyone needs it (I presume a haoli behind the cam doesn't disqualify?).

Incidentally, GREAT kitesurfing here today. Winds 20-36 mph, and a HUGE turtle surfaced just a few feet from me.
spork is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in