Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > nano CP X

nano CP X Blade nano CP X Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Making the stock skids last ALOT longer

I am in the process of remaking my steel skids and decided to throw some stockers on until I had my steel ones perfected. I put a 3 inch long strip of scotch tape sticky side up on the table, places the skids down onto it and folded each end over the skids. This keeps the skids from flexing outward on a hard landing or during a crash. I am AMAZED at the improvement in skid life. I have been really pushing hard to learn inverted flight and low altitude flips and rolls so I crash constantly. Today I broke the canopy mounts off the frame, cracked the msr canopy I was using, and snapped the front of each side of the skids off but the skids are still intact. 1 peice of scotch tape has improved the life of the stock skids by quite a margin. Just fyi! ymmv.
faber is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

"I have been really pushing hard to learn inverted flight and low altitude flips and rolls so I crash constantly"

I'm with you there brother ...I got my Nano specifically to hone this skill indoors in my front room over the winter......it's a whole other world to when you've got oodles of sky around you and no walls/ceilings

So far I've only broken my swash, but good luck with your scotch tape mod
catpainkev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like your idea on preserving the form of the stock skids but they just aren't heavy enough or strong enough to do the job properly. There are a lot of benefits to bigger heavier skids that are worth it for the extra 0.5g.

I'd bet money the edges of your canopy got cracked by the main board striking it due to your skids being soo flexy and bendy. Check the lower corners of your main board and see what condition they are in. My dead board has a rounded off lower corner for one.

Try some airtime skids. Get the standard ones if you want height, or the low pro., The low pro are so wide that even though they're shorter, they protect the board better. I can fly canopyless now with a couple zip tie crash bars protecting the board, in a gym anyway.

Just because the skids don't break it doesn't mean your board and servo's are safe.
tchilds is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

"So far I've only broken my swash"

Ha...who am I kidding, I'd forgotten that the skids broke at Christmas...I always use UHU Por adhesive on MCPX/NCPX where a strong/flexible/semi-permanent repair is required so had forgotten about it !.....and then I'd also forgotten that my hollow boom had splintered not long after..

But all told...my little Nano has taken such a bashing between 4 walls since Santa brought him....I am without doubt impressed.....and maybe it helps a little that I'm like the fastest of gunslingers with the TH

Old 01-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Haha I've been practicing a trick that definitely destroys stock skids Anything that holds them together is a good idea.
tchilds is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know if you guys get UHU Por or something similar across the pond...I swear by it..when dry I can only liken it to a really sticky booger...it's perfect for ncpx/mcpx repairs
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Lol
CAMOMAN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Platidip. Works wonders on the stock skids
JCarter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter View Post
+1

Mcpx BL2
profilefan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarter View Post
Sounds heavy?? What weight do they end up at ? any pics?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

How many colors does Plasti-Dip come in? I should try this stuff.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure on the weight since I dont have a scale but it's nominal. I cannot notice any difference in flight characteristics whatsoever. I used the stuff in a spray can, so I'm guessing it would weight about the same as if you spray painted your stock skids a different color. And thats pretty much what it looks like too. It looks like I spray painted them. I used the black plastidip so you cant really even tell they are different than stock unless your're looking at them closely. I think the stuff cost about $7/can and I havnt broken a set of skids since
JCarter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did not use the spray, just dipped the landing gear into the container.

The longer you leave it in there the thicker the coating will be. So you can just dip it for a few seconds and it will have a nice light coating.

Have fun!
Mcpx BL2
Old 01-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I boiled mine for 90 seconds, then let it cool in the water till room temperature. Skids are now very flexible, and I don't see how I could break them now :p. Old trick from my T-Rex days, that some one on here reminded me about when I read another post... But whatever works

Johnny
jyriker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyriker View Post
I boiled mine for 90 seconds, then let it cool in the water till room temperature. Skids are now very flexible, and I don't see how I could break them now :p. Old trick from my T-Rex days, that some one on here reminded me about when I read another post... But whatever works

Johnny
Hmm i have to try that one Johnny! Thanks for the tip
Mcpx BL2
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maybe I'll boil one set, Plasti-Dip another, and then boil and Plasti-Dip one for the ultimate skid.

Hopefully Plasti-Dip comes in a blue that somewhat matches the blue canopy.
nicholask1993 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Exclamation FYI

One note on boiling... you need to suspend it in the water. Do not let it touch the bottom... or you will have a new flexible design skid that is deformed :p ... I used a coat hanger...
jyriker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I sprayed clear plastidip on my KBDD orange mcpx skids. Adds a hair of weight between the spray and mcpx skid, but I've crashed a million times and only had to fix a crack in the skids.

I also spayed the inside and outside of the stock canopy...again, it adds a little weight, but I still have a working canopy (not the prettiest, but still doing the trick)
mixfisto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used thread and epoxy to make my stock skids stronger. What a differerence! I wrapped and tied thread around each corner of the skid legs where they meet the battery area, then put a bit of 5min epoxy to cover the thread. I also wrapped some thread around the 2 front legs to act like a brace across the 2 skids and put epoxy on that. Now takes so many crashes and has not broke.
zvman is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here is my take on strengthening the stock skids:

I started by cutting the rails on my broken skids

Then I trimmed the curved part, so I had a straight section to work with

I kept trimming a little bit at a time until I had the perfect length

Where the rails meet the legs on the landing skids there is an indentation on the inside of the structure. When trimmed to the right length, the reinforcement will rest in the indentations. A couple drops of super glue and it looked factory made.

I originally intended to do both the front and the back, but after looking at it I thought the back would conflict with inserting and removing the battery.

Not sure if this will help or not, but it cant hurt.
in2deep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in