Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is the misbehaving charger a different firmware version than the others? For those who've been updating the firmware, what kind of changes have been made?
beeflyer2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Hi,

You need to connect the adapter as follows:

Connect the left pigtail (no sticker) to channel 1.
Connect the right pigtail (marked 6S only) to channel 2.
Connect your pack to the 6S set of connectors on the adapter (TP side).

If you plan on charging over 4 amps, then connect your discharge leads to the 2 outside banana jacks. This would be the negative of channel 1 and the positive of channel 2.

The adapter/balance leads are always connected. You cannot charge through the discharge leads alone. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks Howard, this is working. I hope I didn't miss this in the instructions. The pigtails are a bit misleading saying "Connect For 6S Only". I thought this meant it converted the 5S port on the charger ch1. to a 6S port. Your connection method makes some sense, although now when charging a 6S I presume there is no way to connect a second battery of up to 4S ? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPER PATROL View Post
Thanks Howard, this is working. I hope I didn't miss this in the instructions. The pigtails are a bit misleading saying "Connect For 6S Only". I thought this meant it converted the 5S port on the charger ch1. to a 6S port. Your connection method makes some sense, although now when charging a 6S I presume there is no way to connect a second battery of up to 4S ? Thanks.
Hi,

You are correct. The charger is capable of charging up to 2 1S - 5S packs or 1 pack 6S - 10S. Each charge port can handle up to 5 cells each.
Howard Matos is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted View Post
Can the 30 second charge termination alarm be shortened? (Why so freakin' long?!) I saw that you guys added the ability to lower the volume, but I don't know if it can be shortened. That's the single annoyance stopping me from ordering.
Howard?
rcboosted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default How to connect 2 pack's discharge leads for a 1 pack charge?

I have 2 3s packs that I fly as a 6s.

I understand the balance leads are plugged into ch1 and ch2. However, when charging these with the 10s as a single pack do I plug the discharge leads of each pack into ch1 and ch2 banana jacks, or use a series cable on the discharge leads so the packs are plugged into the outer banana jacks?
yellowbillycat is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbillycat View Post

I understand the balance leads are plugged into ch1 and ch2. However, when charging these with the 10s as a single pack do I plug the discharge leads of each pack into ch1 and ch2 banana jacks, or use a series cable on the discharge leads so the packs are plugged into the outer banana jacks?
Use a series y-harness.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Hi,

You would plug up the 2 packs as normal, with or without the discharge leads. Hit the mode button to select 1 or 2 pack charge. If you want the charger to charge your 2 packs as 1 pack, you select 1 pack charge and your good to go. It will charge and balance all cells in both packs as if it is as one pack.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

By "plug up 2 packs as normal", this means plug into ch1 and ch2 banana jacks if using the discharge leads, correct? (i.e. no external series y harness is needed in single pack charge)

Thanks

Erik

ps - please ignore my email

[edit] Per Howard, no y-harness is needed, both packs plug into their respective charge jacks if using the discharge leads. Thanks, Howard.

Last edited by yellowbillycat; 11-19-2008 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Clarification from Howard
Old 11-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
Can the 30 second charge termination alarm be shortened? (Why so freakin' long?!) I saw that you guys added the ability to lower the volume, but I don't know if it can be shortened. That's the single annoyance stopping me from ordering.
Howard?
I guess FMA does not want me as a customer. It's a simple yes or no question, can the alarm be shortened?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I guess FMA does not want me as a customer. It's a simple yes or no question, can the alarm be shortened?
Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay, I was called away before I could answer you. You cannot shorten the alarm. It can be turned on or off and the volume is adjustable. This is performed through the charge control software.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default No plug blocker error near end of charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeflyer2 View Post
Howard,
I have been experiencing intermittent charge disruptions with my Cellpro 10S. An error message I typically see is "No Plug Blocker" even though the plug blocker IS installed. The error, when it occurs, is always towards the end of the charge cycle. I know I have already discussed this with you, but never got a good answer. I was told to check the resistance of the plug blocker, which I did. It measured 4.7K ohms, as it should.
Was this ever resolved? Last night I had the same issue. Very near the end of my 3rd charge of the night (it was balancing), my Cellpro 10s made what I can best describe as a ringing sound. It was displaying a message something like "No Plug Blocker" or "Plug Blocker Removed" (something like that), "Press Mode to Continue".

I cleared the error and restarted the charge which then finished after putting in only another 50mAh or so.

I have f/w ver 2.22.

One last thought, it would be better if after clearing an error the charger goes into the charge done state, and doesn't return to the main/startup state. As it is implemented now, you loose all of your charge info if an error occurs. i.e. How many mAh did I put into that pack?
Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Was this ever resolved? Last night I had the same issue. Very near the end of my 3rd charge of the night (it was balancing), my Cellpro 10s made what I can best describe as a ringing sound. It was displaying a message something like "No Plug Blocker" or "Plug Blocker Removed" (something like that), "Press Mode to Continue".

I cleared the error and restarted the charge which then finished after putting in only another 50mAh or so.

I have f/w ver 2.22.

One last thought, it would be better if after clearing an error the charger goes into the charge done state, and doesn't return to the main/startup state. As it is implemented now, you loose all of your charge info if an error occurs. i.e. How many mAh did I put into that pack?
First I've heard someone else report this! Glad I'm not going crazy!

No, it was never resolved, but I found a way around it. I don't use the plug blocker anymore, I connect the main leads instead. It's nice to have internal resistance readings anyway. I used to get the "no plug blocker" error all the time, but since using the main leads every charge, it's been problem free for over 100 charge cycles.

Yes it is very annoying to lose your charge data when this error occurs!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay, I was called away before I could answer you. You cannot shorten the alarm. It can be turned on or off and the volume is adjustable. This is performed through the charge control software.
Thanks for the answer. Can I make a feature request to have the length of the alarm be adjustable in future firmware upgrade?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:20 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. Can I make a feature request to have the length of the alarm be adjustable in future firmware upgrade?
Hi,

This will be fully adjustable on future chargers.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

can this charger do li-on batteries as well?
Shawn Pierce is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2008, 07:31 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcstyx View Post
can this charger do li-on batteries as well?
Hi,

Yes. Lithium Polymer, Lithium Ion, and A123.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just picked up a 10s and thought I throw a pack on and see what it'd do.

Pack is a TP 6s5000 and should have already been fully charged with my Bantam BC6.

The 10s put 300mah into it. I was a bit surprised by this. So I took another pack and charged it on the BC6 till it was full which only took a few minutes. Then charged it on the 10s. It also took 298mah.

Then I tried changing the 10s to 'optimize for fast charge' and did the last of the 6s5000 I have. It also took 300mah.

I also have a 3A 4S and have long suspected that the FMA puts more umph into a pack than the BC6 does, but never was concerned enough to actually test it. So I tried it with a Kong 3s2200. Peaked it on the BC6 and put it on the 4s, it took very little to complete, 1% of balancing. Then put that pack on the 10S and it did the same thing with a very quick peak putting virtually nothing into the pack.

Can you please explain why the FMA 10S charger put 6% more into three different fully charged packs than the BC6 does? Is it overcharging them or is the BC6 undercharging?

Also, is there a way to have autostart enabled on the 10s like it is on the 4s? I like this feature.

Oh, and where is this feature? "Drive the Charger from the P.C." Is there something I need to download and install? CHG10s.exe doesn't have this.

Current addiction: Align 250, 2x 450s, 500,12s 600e, 700e CX2 and several 3D planks.
AviatorsAnonymous is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can the CP 10s charge nicad, nmh, and or pb batteries? If not will there be a firmware update in the future to add this ability?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOPPER PATROL View Post
Can the CP 10s charge nicad, nmh, and or pb batteries? If not will there be a firmware update in the future to add this ability?

Thanks
No. When charging you must use the balance leads, so I doubt this could ever be added via firmware.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

i just got my charger...all excited...but confused...

what is the purpose of the banana plug jumper/shunt???

thanks
larryfl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in