Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #121 (permalink)

Quick question, since we're in the tail wag subject. Can misaligned CG cause tail wag?
Malves is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should never run in governor mode when setting up a gyro. Too many problems in the tail and gyro system can be caused by a poor running governor. Get you gyro locked in first, then mess with gov. settings.

One thing I have noticed with this gyro is that it likes higher head speeds and tail blades with a lot of thrust.
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Angry

Hey Bob!

so iv used a 770 3d on a previous heli before and it worked great, the piro rate was insane and it locked the heading really well...

now i put it in my new vibe 50 and built it up and set it up as instructed...

i finally got my engine running today to do some hovering etc and as the engine spools up the tail lashes out to the left... i checked my gain setting-60% in Normal Mode, i checked if it needed to be reversed, i checked my head speed/pitch to see if it was too fast... nothing seemed to tame it!

it just piroetted on the ground until i cut the throttle...

any ideas???? this aint my first model and im pretty sure my set up is accurate!
airman01 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #124 (permalink)

Can someone please tell me how to set this gyro up on a JR XP6102 radio???
Tomek is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 12:34 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

airman01

Is your rudder channel going the right direction
idigrc2 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by idigrc2 View Post
airman01

Is your rudder channel going the right direction
Or gyro reverse pot on the gyro?

Belt CP (CRASHED): TP SG-90's, control arm mod, T-Rex 450 main shaft, EK1-0704a
T-Rex 500 CF: 5245 on cyclic, JR G770 3D gyro w. 3500G, DX7
Boddan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 AM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Has anyone tried their 770 with high wind and backwards flight? Both of my 770 gyros were blowing out in those conditions yesterday on both my 500 and 600. I tried upping the gain a click but then I got wag. So I think I was just at the limits of the gyro. In lesser wind they are rock solid. Just want to see what experience other people have in high wind.
Compass K3D, os50hyper, outrage, 8717, 8900, spartan, 8900, radix, 7100r
rupps5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 AM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman01 View Post
Hey Bob!

so iv used a 770 3d on a previous heli before and it worked great, the piro rate was insane and it locked the heading really well...

now i put it in my new vibe 50 and built it up and set it up as instructed...

i finally got my engine running today to do some hovering etc and as the engine spools up the tail lashes out to the left... i checked my gain setting-60% in Normal Mode, i checked if it needed to be reversed, i checked my head speed/pitch to see if it was too fast... nothing seemed to tame it!

it just piroetted on the ground until i cut the throttle...

any ideas???? this aint my first model and im pretty sure my set up is accurate!

Change the gyro reverse switch on the gyro.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek View Post
Can someone please tell me how to set this gyro up on a JR XP6102 radio???
Just like any other radio. The easy way is to use the Gear switch to control gyro gain.

Hook the gyro gain lead to the Gear channel on the Rx. Set the Gear end points for gyro gain.

Start with Rudder Endpoints at +/-150, Dual Rate on Rudder at 60%, Expo at 60%, gain at -20 and +20.

Test fly, Adjust gain as needed. + on teh gear channel is heading hold gain, lower number is less gain.

If the piro rate is to fast, decrease the Dual Rate (go from 60 to 50 or lower). Use the end points to adjust left and right piro to be even rates.

If it is too touchy around center, increase the Expo, if too soft, decrease the expo. On this gyro 40% expo is like 0% on other gyros.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks for all ur inputs...

my reverse switch on the gyro is normal...
and its running thru my Aux 2 channel which is running normal aswell

still no improvement... im thinking i have a bad gyro!
Old 10-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I have the DX7 (this info goes for DX6i and other spektrum radios as well I guess) and my rudder channel is reversed and the gyro switch is reversed. I have my 770 mounted on top of the boom block of my t-rex 500, perendicular to the boom...
Check this out first...

Don't give up man, you'll get there! Is there a local club or guy you can ask?

Belt CP (CRASHED): TP SG-90's, control arm mod, T-Rex 450 main shaft, EK1-0704a
T-Rex 500 CF: 5245 on cyclic, JR G770 3D gyro w. 3500G, DX7
Boddan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 02:22 PM   #132 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Also realize that something as simple as the tail rotor using leading edge vs. trailing edge control can impact gyro direction. I know this from personal (and nearly disastrous) experience after rebuilding the tail on my T-Rex 600N.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
Has anyone tried their 770 with high wind and backwards flight? Both of my 770 gyros were blowing out in those conditions yesterday on both my 500 and 600. I tried upping the gain a click but then I got wag. So I think I was just at the limits of the gyro. In lesser wind they are rock solid. Just want to see what experience other people have in high wind.
I have noticed this also and I have no cure for it. I notice when the tail is pointed down wind it's no problem. Anytime the tail is pointed upwind, backward or forward flight, the gyro struggles. I too think it's just a limitation of the gyro.
ping is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman01 View Post
thanks for all ur inputs...

my reverse switch on the gyro is normal...
and its running thru my Aux 2 channel which is running normal aswell

still no improvement... im thinking i have a bad gyro!
Did you try the gyro switch in Rev?

Uncontrollable piro on lift off is normally the tail turning the wrong way or the gyro reverse switch or the tail grips backwards (leading edge versus training edge control, but this will be fixed with the gyro reverse switch). If the tail moves right, it could be lack of head (tail) speed or something slipping in the tail drive.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Old 10-27-2008, 05:36 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew during strong windy condition and practise my reverse flight and tail slides without any problem. Tail goes where I want it to go and nowhere else.
We must note, although the gyro can do the head holding using the tail rudder, there will also be a limit on how much the tail rotor blades can do, regardless if it is the most high end gyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
hotdogbun is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I am using the shorter k&bs on my 600 and my 500 has the k&bs that are made for it. On both copters my tail slides were fine (no blow outs). It was only in backwards flight turning into the wind and the thing would start to do a 180 no matter how much rudder you gave it to correct it. The turns would be nice and smooth with a moderate pace and all of a sudden the tail would start to go as it turned into the wind....I would try to battle it but no dice, it was going around. If I did the same turn into the wind slower it would be fine. On lower wind and no wind days there are no blow outs at all.

I just did not know if a better gyro would have been able to hold backwards flight any better in the wind...say a solid G.

yesterdays (when I flew) forcast says there was an 18 mph wind
Compass K3D, os50hyper, outrage, 8717, 8900, spartan, 8900, radix, 7100r
rupps5 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Just like any other radio. The easy way is to use the Gear switch to control gyro gain.

Hook the gyro gain lead to the Gear channel on the Rx. Set the Gear end points for gyro gain.

Start with Rudder Endpoints at +/-150, Dual Rate on Rudder at 60%, Expo at 60%, gain at -20 and +20.

Test fly, Adjust gain as needed. + on teh gear channel is heading hold gain, lower number is less gain.

If the piro rate is to fast, decrease the Dual Rate (go from 60 to 50 or lower). Use the end points to adjust left and right piro to be even rates.

If it is too touchy around center, increase the Expo, if too soft, decrease the expo. On this gyro 40% expo is like 0% on other gyros.
How do i set the gain to +-20 on the XP6102? There is no gyro or gain setting on this radio. Is it done w/ the sub trim? So, in HH I set the sub trim such that (20%+40%)/100 = X/125, where 125 is the max positive sub trim on my radio?

===> X = 75

So I set my sub trim to positive (+) 75 for +-20 gain???? Pine???
Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
How do i set the gain to +-20 on the XP6102? There is no gyro or gain setting on this radio. Is it done w/ the sub trim? So, in HH I set the sub trim such that (20%+40%)/100 = X/125, where 125 is the max positive sub trim on my radio?

===> X = 75

Hmm, gain and expo are two different things...I'm so confused. So is it (20%/100)=X/125, X=25 for subtrim, to set my gain at +-20?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

thanks BODDAM and TheBUM for all ur tips...thanks all others too

i have inspected my heli time and time again over so next time i get to fly if
the reversing doesnt work then it has to be the gyro not working...

ill keep you update yea
Old 10-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

===> X = 75

1) Use subtrim to set the servo arm at 90 degrees to the control rod at neutral rudder.

2) Use End Points or Travel Adjust to set gain. + values are HH, - values are rate. So for the GEAR channel set the end points to +20 and -20 to start.

3) Set endpoints on the RUDDER channel to maximum, and set the Dual Rate for the rudder to 60%. What that does is actually limit the real endpoints. See the Finless video on Dual Rate and Expo 101 in the first post of this thread.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395

Tags
101, dual rates, expo, g770, gyro, gyro setup, jr g770, video, videos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in