Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 30/50 > Titan X50

Titan X50 Thunder Tiger Titan X50 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today I got the engine all tuned in and running great. The 1MM gap might be a little to big as I was still rich in the midrange at a hover. I will leave it for now everything else is running great.

I installed some Edge tail blades I had off of another heli and did the tuning with those. No vibrations. It did take quite a bit of leaning to get it just right. I also swapped out the main blades for the new V-blades in the 600 size.

This thing is so smooth and agile and powerful once properly leaned out. I am finally happy.

One extra note, the stock fuel tubing that comes in the main tank split after 13 flights. Luckly I still had lots of fuel left in the tank and noticed the clunk moving around inside. Just change it to avoid flame outs.

Last edited by skytrekin; 10-13-2013 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Fuel line split
skytrekin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

This was why I plan to replace with Hayes inside the tanks. I also plan to replace the tank seal with Quick UK.

Interestingly, it appears my kit has the RL53. At least I think that is a "53" stamped on case.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Re: X50F FBL w/engine/pipe/blades

It seems that some places are still flushing out old stock. As understand it the RL 53 is no longer made. Mine had 56 stamped on the side.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today was the day I finished off the first gallon of fuel through my new X50. If you have read any of my previous posts, that is all I have done and the heli has been flying great. The Redline 56 has been running equally as well still using the supplied glow plug since first run.

About the 4th flight, once I got the tail vibration sorted out I started tuning the engine in and haven't had a need to change it since. The motor pipe combo is working great with plenty of power for practicing some tic tocs and huge power loops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	460754   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	460755  
Old 10-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Excellent, skytrekin!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Second gallon of fuel through since new. No issues at all. Just charge RX pack and refuel and fly.

Shim to remove play, as well as bearing retainer to keep bearings fitting good. Use quality tail blades. Check your start shaft to be sure its not hitting the engine. Use quality fuel tubing in the tank.

Thats it I think. It has been running great with no hiccups. Lots of power and flying great with a CGY-750 and 8FG

Solid 10 min flight time with full header tank. I set the timer on my radio for 10 min. When it goes off I bring it by to see how much fuel left. Then its auto practice time!

Nice light airframe with a full header tank I can get at least 4-5 climbs of auto's before its just about empty.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds terrific. I am interested in the V-Blades 605's.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default X50F FBL w/engine/pipe/blades

Rob,

Saw the completed photos of your X50. NICE!!!

Thought I'd share a recent experience with mine. Was flying mine, doing a little 3D.....during a maneuver, the tail started whipping from side to side. Good thing I had sense enough to kill the throttle and auto it down safely. After a good look over, found that using the G4 control horn on the tail servo, and mounting the ball on the inside, the link would hit the servo case when it moved forward. I could have inserted a spacer to bring the horn assembly out but couldn't find a correct washer. Couldn't use a shorter ball stud because then the linkage would bottom out on the horn. My fix.....I machined about 1.5 mm off the inside of the servo horn.

Happy flying!

Albert

aseejr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is a good fix. I took a closer look at mine tonight after hearing what happened in your machine. I found mine was also rubbing, but I had not noticed it previously. I scrounged through my bits and found a couple of spacers that are 3mm id and just small enough OD to fit inside the servo arm bushing. I tried a pair of them and reinstalled, and it seems to run clear now.

Thanks for sharing what happened! Quick thinking on your part.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

I re-inspected my tail control horn again. I could feel some rubbing, and sure enough, I had no clearance. So, I wound up grinding a relief on the backside of the horn to space the ball away from the servo. Could have become a real problem.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Passing the 3 gallon mark on my new X50!

This thing has been flying great and is my real "go-to" heli. It is dependable, flys awesome, and flys quite a long time. No issues at all from the heli or the engine. Just fuel and fly. Just like it should be.

Yesterday I had a mishap. I was flying and had a loss of power that resulted in a unexpected auto. The auto went fine until I could see something flying away from the heli. The auto was aways out there.
Walking up to the heli I could see everything looked fine, amazed the tail blades were untouched. This is in a desert environment so their are rocks and things around.

Walking back I could see a huge dent in a main blade right on the leading edge. After looking things over I realized what happened.

The glow plug popped out! Resulting auto I landed skid on a large rock that threw it into the main blades and that was what flew away from the heli.

Now why did the glow plug fall out? I can only guess because I am using a twist on glow driver and maybe I didn't get the glow plug fully tight, and gallons of twist on and off it came loose. That is just a guess.
So, in the desire for simplicity I am looking at a push-glo to handle those dutys. No charging or lugging around a glow driver, or forgetting it at home still plugged in. And simple push to go fly.

The 56 has been a powerhouse! I have been getting better and bringing my elevator tic tocs down to eye level. No bogging or lack of power and a full 10 min of it.

One thing I added just because I like them, is a boom support brace. It is P/N PV1423
It comes on the X50E and it fits the nitro version perfectly. A little extra insurance if a top support comes loose the brace holds it in place till you land.

Keep your glow plug tight! And burn that fuel.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sounds like you're having fun. I am jealous of your extended flying seasons! I too added the brace. Very rugged piece and inexpensive as well. When I install my braces, I test a zip tie for length, and cut a piece of heat shrink to fit on the zip ties. I heat them on, and zip tie the brace in. Leaves a nice finished look and grips the struts tightly.

I also installed a Push Glow. I ran the Switch Glow in the past and it worked superbly, but was needlessly complex for programming with my setup. Push Glow is about as ideal as it gets. I ran mine towards the large intake on the lower front of the canopy to make it accessible when it's mounted. In the pics of my bird, it's down by the engine, but I changed my mind, thinking it might get sort of hot by the cooling fan flow, so I relocated it.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile

Quick update:

Now passing 5 gallons on this awesome X50!
I have had ZERO issues with this heli and just burning nitro tank after tank. It is so smooth and predictible its just awesome!

Everything is still nice and tight and no slop over any ball links, bellcranks or arms. The only thing that has loosened some is the tail grip short link at the grip. Backed out just slightly to cause a tiny bit of play and gave me a little tail shake. 1/4 turn and its good. Just something to keep a eye on when doing your preflights.

I have been getting so comfortable with this I am doing tic tocs at eye level, rainbows and low flips all at eye level. For me that is low. But it feels so locked in its actually easier to see everything and fly it better!

If your on the fence about this heli GET IT!! You will like it, its super light, very powerful bone stock, and flys like a dream! Just fuel it and fly, no issues. A real have fun machine. Read the few pointers and follow them for a solid flying heli.

10 min. flight time of what ever you can throw at it!
Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Over 7 gallons since new, suffered one crash that took out the tail boom and supports and blades.

Having too much fun down low and finally paid the price. Engine/pipe combo is flawless, lots of power for what ever you want to try,.
Damages were tail boom, torque tube, boom supports, main shaft bearings, blades, and blade grip arms and spindle bearings.

All the shafts seem straight and roll true on glass, but I am changing them and the support bearings they ride in. The main links popped off and were found at the crash site. (replacing those as well)

I was flying with Edge 623 flybar blades (for quicker cyclic) and Rail tail blades. Gonna try the new Halo 610 blades when they come out next month.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've always enjoyed my Compass 615 blades on my Compass helis. Love the white tips in flight. May give them a go this season.

I am really happy to hear you're getting good power from your Redline.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in