Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos > MSH Mini Protos

MSH Mini Protos MSH Mini Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Thread lock Motor to Mount

Yes? No? Seems like it should be thread-locked, but manual doesn't say to do it. What is everyone's thoughts on that?
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes,of course!
scott s is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I thought so. So I have run into another snag on the build. Got the motor and pinion on, and when spinning the main gear the belt walks to the side of the tail gear. I made darn sure that I didn't have a double twist in the belt before assembling the tail box/tail rotor. Does it matter which way you twist the belt to put around the tail gear?! I can't imagine this would be good when spooled up as it would wear the side of the belt down rubbing on the tail box plastic. Any thoughts?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

nevermind, took tail case apart and twisted the belt the opposite direction and now it stays in the center of the tail gear.

So here's a stupid question, I'm setting up the tail servo, and am curious if you just eye ball the tail blade pitch? I have a digital pitch gauge but not sure it'll be easy to use with the small tail blades. I've got it to where it visibly looks like 0 pitch when rudder servo is centered. I adjusted throws to give me full movement left and right on the tail shaft as well. Now for the stupid question, when I give a right rudder command, which way should the tail rod move? Forward towards the nose, or rewards towards the tail?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty89m View Post
nevermind, took tail case apart and twisted the belt the opposite direction and now it stays in the center of the tail gear.

So here's a stupid question, I'm setting up the tail servo, and am curious if you just eye ball the tail blade pitch? I have a digital pitch gauge but not sure it'll be easy to use with the small tail blades. I've got it to where it visibly looks like 0 pitch when rudder servo is centered. I adjusted throws to give me full movement left and right on the tail shaft as well. Now for the stupid question, when I give a right rudder command, which way should the tail rod move? Forward towards the nose, or rewards towards the tail?
Yep, built in indication you have the belt twisted the right way.

As for the tail, the leading edge of the tail blade points in the direction the tail should move, so if I have this right in my head for the heli to go nose right (clockwise) the tail pitch slider should go towards the boom.

For tail setup, for most gyros set the slider in the middle of its travel at neutral, this will give a little bit of pitch in the direction of torque and is expected for most setups (SK FBL being an exception as it wants 0 deg).
-Goblin 500, HC3SX, Hyp DH16/MKS980BL, Scorp 4015-1100
desertstalker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes this build is using a SK540, how can I set 0 degree pitch other than just eyeballing it? Trying to get the tail servo in the right position and still getting full throws in each direction was a bit of a pain. Got it setup to where it looks like 0 pitch and has full throws each way. Any good way to make sure it's at 0 degrees?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Zero pitch is easy. Fold the blades back so they are together and even with each other. That is zero pitch. Finless Protos tail video shows exactly how it is done. +1 on threadlock on motor mounts. The bolts are large enough that the threadlock actually sticks. Easy to drop stuff in that motor. Whenever I am messing with it now I put a big hunk of masking tape over it.

Mini Prôtos 6S Stretch - DS95/DS95i, Mini V-Bar, YGE60 VBAR Ready
CrashAddict is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think this has been mentioned before but the easiest way to put that moror / ESC in there is to connect it to the ESC while it is out of the heli and then fold the wires up, down, up and then put the O ring on. Then bolt the motor in. When you look at the top of the motor, facing the shaft, it should spin clockwise. Rotor blades spin clockwise when looking down from the top and tail blades spin counter clockwise when looking at them head on.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah... Already bolted motor in, ended up putting the motor wires to the left front of the motor mount if looking at the heli from the rear. Hopefully it's not too much trouble getting the ESC in at this point.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, it isn;t too much trouble. Just you can't get a nice organized wiring job done. Not that it matters, Ive yet to see an organized wiring job on here at least thats maintainable.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah.... Been hiding the servo wires, not many options if using the boom block for FBL unit. Routed the center swash servo through the hole in the frame and zip tied to frame. Awfully close to the main gear but that was where the cut outs were for the zip ties, going with it to see how it works.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought of mounting the servos upside down at one point so the wires exit up. Never seen that with MKS yet. Not needed probably would look worse. Watch the BEC / sensor leads make sure you keep them away from that mini grinder motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in