Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Second bank for Autorotation

Hi,

I would like to use second bank for autorotation (especially avoid unattended reactions at the end of auto when touching the ground).

Which parameter is best to tune versus idle up mode ? (Hiller gain reduce or bell gain ?)

Thanks

Bruno
bruno95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

You probably want both Bell and Hiller to be higher for a low-rpm (autorotation) bank. If you're using banks, the Bell gain can be set for each bank.

The "unattended reactions" at touchdown might be partly due to the RPM being lower than you think. I'm a big fan of the challenge of 450-size heli autos (many repairs as a result but its fun), but one sort-of-drawback to flybarless is that its quiet and so hard to hear the blade rpm when autoing. Your only other clue to rpm is aerodynamic sensitivity, but the SK360 hides that from you too, right up until the point where it falls over because the blades are barely moving. What's needed here is a heads up display for rpm :-P
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks,

Then i'll try with higher values on both Bell and Hiller on my next trials....

Best regards

Bruno
bruno95 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My T500 autos beautifully with my tuned 3D program... Awesome...

All V-bar machines are touchy in the last couple seconds of setting the bird down and spool down, as they don't have any type of rpm/headspeed sensor, they WILL give ALL cyclic pitch in attempt to move the disc which means quick loss in headspeed and instability just before touch down.

Most crashes I have seen with FBL helis have been in botched autos. It can be ugly. If you ease it into a nice hover with good headspeed, it is NOT an issue from my experience on the T600 and T500 FBL.

Get it to a hover and be very easy on the cyclic is all, quick cyclic inputs during the last couple seconds with make wierd things happen if your not expecting it...

All in all. FBL has greatly improved my autos. Normal AND inverted...
RobertAbles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

> they WILL give ALL cyclic pitch in attempt to move the disc...

It should take an equal amount of cyclic pitch with either flybar'd or flybarless to get a given flip/roll rate. So what might be happening is that the pilot expects (from their flyblar'd learning) to have to apply more cyclic stick near landing, to compensate for loss of control authority. But because the cyclic-gyro is a rate-command system, you don't have to do that. It will try to give you the same response no matter what the headspeed is.

So as robmoney said, focus on gentle stick motions as you approach the ground and rpm decays, or the SK360 will try to do what you ask, even if it requires huge cyclic pitch that bleeds rpm. Another idea might be to set lower "control rates" on your auto bank.

Last edited by Skookum; 02-18-2009 at 07:56 PM..
Skookum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in