Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > RC Helicopter Flight School

RC Helicopter Flight School Instructional Flying Tips, Tricks, Videos, and Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First rainbows IRL

Hi,
I am practicing wide arch rainbows. I do them before I will try them shorter and shorter. My ultimate goal is to perform tic tocs

My question comes from the Real Life. When I stop the machine after the descent, the hely wobbles. I guess it is due to the vortex ring state when the rotor is blowing down hard while still descending..

I am annoyed by this effect which is not showed at all on the sim.

Are there ways to limit it? Should I let it wobble and give on collective to climb immediately? I feel I need to wait half a second to let the disk stabilize.

I like when the hely wall stops.

My hely is a Synery E5 6S. The HS is 2350. What HS do you recommend on a 550 class hely to get solid wall stops?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbass View Post
Hi,
I am practicing wide arch rainbows. I do them before I will try them shorter and shorter. My ultimate goal is to perform tic tocs

My question comes from the Real Life. When I stop the machine after the descent, the hely wobbles. I guess it is due to the vortex ring state when the rotor is blowing down hard while still descending..

Are there ways to limit it? Should I let it wobble and give on collective to climb immediately? I feel I need to wait half a second to let the disk stabilize.

My hely is a Synery E5 6S. The HS is 2350. What HS do you recommend on a 550 class hely to get solid wall stops?
First question is which sim? RealFlight 7 does emulate this end-of-rainbow instability (have not checked on Heli-X).

To limit it, either power back in the other direction (you will be in clean air faster than you can blink), or make the descent slow and stop smoother (lower governed head speed, almost mid collective near 45 degree mark to stop near 70 degree mark).

If working to tic-tocs, blasting back is the way to go. Learning to stabilize with tail and micro collective adjustments is all part of the process.

A Gaui X5 (500mm blades) at 2400 RPM will wall stop pretty effectively.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First rainbows IRL

Quote:
Hi,

If you like the wall stops, stop the helicopter with a quick punch of collective.
You'll have to practice this a bit, but the worst that can happen is that the helicopter not only stops but moves a bit the other way. That is not really a problem.

Focus on a short push of collective and then back to a 'hover' collective.
My X5(520mm blades) stops just fine at 2400 RPM. I ocassionally do a wall, and I don't even need full collective to stop the helicopter.

Enjoy the blade farts btw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-22-2014, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default R: First rainbows IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageAU View Post
First question is which sim? RealFlight 7 does emulate this end-of-rainbow instability (have not checked on Heli-X)..
Phoenix 5

Thanks

Inviato dal mio GT-I9195 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default R: First rainbows IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade450 View Post
If you like the wall stops, stop the helicopter with a quick punch of collective.
You'll have to practice this a bit, but the worst that can happen is that the helicopter not only stops but moves a bit the other way. That is not really a problem.

Focus on a short push of collective and then back to a 'hover' collective.
My X5(520mm blades) stops just fine at 2400 RPM. I ocassionally do a wall, and I don't even need full collective to stop the helicopter.

Enjoy the blade farts btw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ok next time I will try to give some more collective and more quickly.

And I will be listening at the sound

Inviato dal mio GT-I9195 utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Phoenix 5
Tempted to say (in my best MythBuster impersonation) "Well, there's yer problem!".

Seriously though. These has been ongoing debate over sim heli physics. Many get it broadly right (ground effect, translational lift), few get the knotty details right (like flying through own rotor wash and blade-stop autos). btw, an RC helis rotor speed is so fast in relation to it's airspeed that unless doing speed runs could you can barely notice dissymmetry of lift

A plane based sim takes considerable extra work to get RC heli physics right. As RC heli is the minority of RC flight, this extra physics work is often half-done.

Use sim's for what they are good at (training broad responses). Use real life to really fine tune.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in