Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > Hurricane 425

Hurricane 425 Discussion and support of the Gaui Hurricane 425

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Crash Kit?

What parts would you buy for a crash kit for a Gaui 425 EP? I don't want to go nuts, but I do like having a few parts on hand for my helis. So a minor crash won't keep me down for long.

I am thinking:

Main Shaft
Feathering Shaft
Blades
Links
Flybar (at least till I go FBL)
Tail Boom

Anything else?
SQRT(-2) is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
HF MR Support

...those are good, might add the tail case and LG
I keep at least 2 boom assemblies ready to go...
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

About the only other things that I usually damage in a minor crash are the landing skid braces and tail fins. The skid braces are pretty strong, but not flexible at all. If you come down hard on one skid, it usually breaks the skid brace off near the frame.

Gaui makes a high rigidity skid brace set for the X5 to solve the same problem, but they are almost always out of stock everywhere. I use Trex 600 3D skids on my Hurri 550 as they are much better, but they would probably look a little odd on the 425 due to their size.

A "major" crash will usually involve a few more damaged parts, but surprisingly, the Hurri crashes pretty well considering it's size and weight.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Well, it may look funny but I'm quite fond of the 600/700 skids on my 425. I even prefer the regular ones over the F3C's. Here's a height comparison between the regular 600/700 skids and he F3C version. I'm using a Trex 600 flybar too.

And the full frontal view

Some have commented here that they don't like the proportions with the short boom, 425's, tall skids and the big Trex 550 canopy but in person, everyone really seems to like it. It kind of grows on you.

As far as crash parts, the normal stuff, main & feathering shafts, links, etc. Twice now I've busted the plastic linkage rod ends but have yet to bend one of the rods. Last crash I bent one of the older hollow main shafts and twisted my flybar like a pretzel but didn't bend the feathering shaft . I zip tie my skids on and have busted them off a few times but have yet to actually break one. I have bent up the skid tubes a bit but have managed to straighten them well enough to reuse. I've got all the metal head parts except am using the plastic little mixing arms thingys thinking they might be a sacrificial failure point? I also replaced the kinky rudder control rod with the CNC pushrod conversion and made a CF tube for the long back section and took off the guides. I put a plastic "floor" in the frame and mounted my Quark and RX on it. It extends out the back a little and I mounted the Quark Simplex connector and Castle Quick Link on it for easy access. It's bolted down and maybe adds a little rigidity to the frame as well?

I've also fitted, drilled and tapped a thick piece of Lexan to maybe help support the upper frame some?

I'm just throwing this stuff out there so maybe you can get some ideas?

I buy from AlleRC mostly because they're local and (shhh) share the same inventory and database as Empire. Also Clubheli, Anything heli, HeliFlightCenter, RCdumbThumbs. As noted, most of the stuff listed under the 550 is exactly the same as the 425. I've got two booms complete with the tailcase and thrust bearing grips and belt ready to go in my spares kit although am running the metal tailcase and metal grips. I'm not real fond of the plastic tailcases and big idler pulley mostly because of looks and you can't see the belt. You should probably have a one-way bearing and shaft on hand too.

Good luck with your new huri. I think you're gonna like it?
Gaui X2 & X5- MKS,Scorpion, Castle and lotsa good stuff
2 FrankenHeli 450s, Axe 100SS, Futaba
EKron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

EKron, that is a very nice looking bird you have there. Did you do the paint work yourself? If so, you did an excellent job.

I don't need the latest and greatest. I just need more time to fly what I have.
Align 450 Sport V2, Gaui 200, Gaui 425 x 2, "HeadHunter 500, Gaui 550, all Flybar'd

Jerrymac is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymac View Post
EKron, that is a very nice looking bird you have there. Did you do the paint work yourself? If so, you did an excellent job.
Thank you, sir! Yes, I did do the paint and an almost matching one for my 450. Can't see it much in the above pics but I fiberglassed in a hood scoop to maybe help cool my top mounted ESC a bit? There's more pics in my gallery if you're interested? This is my fancy go-to-town canopy. I've got some junkers I fly with.

Just yesterday I got another plain white Trex 550 canopy ($17) to start on and am doing something different this time. I'm toying with the idea of side scoops and have been reading up on NACA ducts. I have a few things sketched out but am undecided yet on exactly what I'm going to do. Whatever it is, I'll be doing matching or complimentary canopies for my 450, X2 and 255. It'll probably take me a month.

-- Elisabeth

Added another image

Gaui X2 & X5- MKS,Scorpion, Castle and lotsa good stuff
2 FrankenHeli 450s, Axe 100SS, Futaba
EKron is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in