Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > mCP X Brushless Mods

mCP X Brushless Mods Blade Micro CPx Brushless Mods and Conversions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #441 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by briareos7777 View Post
Yup the TGY DP 3A (from hobby king also) is different from the XP 3A ESC from hobby king. The TGY DP 3A Rcp In is connected to pin P0.6, but on the XP 3A esc Rcp In is connected to P0.7. I think there are some other pins that are different also like the pFet pins (A, C seems to be reversed from the XP 3A). On my TGY DP 3A there's a "206B" label on the pcboard. In the comments for the TGY DP 3A, a person in the comments is saying the 206B version is bad. The comment was:

"The old ones had 1S3A written on them and were excellent. The new ones 206B. The new ones are rubbish. E.g. they have a CPU, which has a maximum recommended voltage of 3.6V directly connected to the Lipo which can give out 4.2V when fully charged. No wonder, that they often just burn away...Don't buy them, as long as they still ship this bad 206B version!!!

I didnt know they had different version of the f330 chips. The TGY DP 3A one that has the 206B label on it has the following numbers on the f330 cpu: B1041 1128. The HK XP 3A has: B1479 1039.
This is the same topic for all the small 3A ESCs. The F330 chip is spec'ed at 3.6V max. And all of the ESCs will run them at battery voltage. Not sure if this is really an issue, though. Yes, it will limit the lifetime of the ESC. But the 3.6V spec is normally set for continuous operation at 85deg C for 10 years! You will have many flights before the ESC even sees one year of continuous operation. And normally not at 85deg C!

Another issue with the DP 3A might be poor fets. From the pictures they are smaller, and they probably have higher resistance. I'll try to measure it when I get the ESCs.
sskaug is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #442 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
I Swapped out an old HP03T for a "NEW" HP03T and have bad blowouts, like 180 degrees on a full collective climb out. Going to try my other "new" HP03T and see if its different, but will probably go back to the old one.

Are you running the "new" or old HP03T? (New one has 6 magnets, old has 12)

You can spool the tail up and hear that its a lower RPM at full throttle than the old HP03T....

Dylan
I'm pretty sure I have the 6 magnet version.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #443 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
I use both the new and the old HP03T, and see no blowouts. But... I run with a very long tail boom of 185mm. I know the new HP03T has less thrust than the old, and therefore a longer boom may be beneficial for it. Your setup looks good Brandt, but maybe you would start with a little longer boom? You can always cut it...
Excellent, Steffan, that's what I'll do. Really appreciate the guidance.

I'm planning on building two tails...

1. HP03t, 185mm, Plantraco
2. 120sr, 150mm, Plantraco, inline mount

Ideally, the 120sr tail will sit in a box awaiting my son's BL build, but it might come in handy if I can't get the BL tail sorted.
SuperBee364 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #444 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,

Quote:
Yup the TGY DP 3A (from hobby king also) is different from the XP 3A ESC from hobby king.
Yes - but this was not my question.
Look at my picture with the ESCs - I have both, XP-3A and TGY DP 3A (and I know of those two versions of the TGY).

I wanted to know, if there are different versions of the XP-3A.
Mine works fine.

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #445 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks briareos7777.
I finally found it WAS the toolchain setup, but I simply had a "\" too much at the end of an include path. The resulting error messages weren't really logical
What I miss in the Silabs IDE, is the Grep search, context sensitive popup menus and so on...
But the little MCU seems to own some features, which I've missed in the AVRs.

Today I replaced my first XP-7A MCU, which died because of overvoltage stress (my conclusion).
Not an easy job, but with some patience a workable exercise.
Now I need a test Firmware and a Port map for the XP-7a.
Does actually someone has worked out a map ?
4712 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #446 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsneffe View Post
Hi,
I wanted to know, if there are different versions of the XP-3A.
A good question, Walter. Mine does have exactely the same layout and is not from HK (but from a chinese ebay Shop in Ger). And it works with a program card (manufactured of whom? ...no name). Hard to tell who sells the so called originals and what a copy is...
The ESCs here should be classified not by names but by fotos..

(btw: would be a nice Job to hack the program card to get the protocol build into the DIY ESC)
Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #447 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4712 View Post
Thanks briareos7777.
I finally found it WAS the toolchain setup, but I simply had a "\" too much at the end of an include path. The resulting error messages weren't really logical
What I miss in the Silabs IDE, is the Grep search, context sensitive popup menus and so on...
But the little MCU seems to own some features, which I've missed in the AVRs.

Today I replaced my first XP-7A MCU, which died because of overvoltage stress (my conclusion).
Not an easy job, but with some patience a workable exercise.
Now I need a test Firmware and a Port map for the XP-7a.
Does actually someone has worked out a map ?
I usually would just grep in a command line box anyways.

That's pretty amazing that you can replace the xp-7a mcu. One of my xp-7a the rcp in pin got messed up, i tried just touching the soldering rod to it only and it didnt fix it. At least i think it's messed up.

I've burned over 20+ fets now. I need a esc simulator, so I dont burn all these fets. Just like a mcp x simulator helped me not crash my mcp x so much...

Here is the XP-7A port map that I did. I don't know if it's correct. Wait until somebody else verifies it first, or you can verify it yourself.

XP 7a esc

Mux nFet pFet
A 0.5 1.2 1.5
B 0.3 1.1 1.4
C 0.1 1.0 1.3
Comp Com: 0.2
AdcIp: 0.6?
Rcp In: 0.7
GND / 1k / 10k / VCC

Hopefully I've been mapping my escs correctly.
briareos7777 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #448 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a question regarding the esc stuff. If you put a break point while the motor is running, since it's leaving a pfet on wouldn't it burn out the fet? Or pretty much if you turn a pfet on and have a break point, which means it wont get turned off, it'll burn it?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #449 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sure, the breakpoint stops (freezes!!!) all activity. Therefor be sure to use a current limiter!
Thanks for the map, I will check...
Old 02-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #450 (permalink)
Registered Users

sskaug,

Here's the mapping for the xp 3a I got:

XP 3a esc

Mux nFet pFet
A 0.5 1.0 1.3
B 0.3 1.1 1.4
C 0.1 1.2 1.5

Last edited by briareos7777; 02-21-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #451 (permalink)
Registered Users

Anybody know if i solder wires to the esc where the fets are (3 wires per fet), then the fet to the wires. If the fet burns, it should only burn the fet and not the pcboard?

It would make replacing the fet a lot easier also. Could develop a bit easier then.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #452 (permalink)
Registered Users

sskaug,

For the xp3a.inc,

You have:

P1_INIT EQU (1 SHL ApFET)+(1 SHL BpFET)+(1 SHL CpFET) ; Setting pFET outputs turn them off

How do you find out for the pfet and nfet if you set the bit to 1 it'll turn them on or off. I've noticed in some other code that on the tgy 6a esc (silab), you have to set the nfets to 1 to turn them off.

Is there a way to determine this with a multimeter or something?
Old 02-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #453 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
sskaug,

Here's the mapping for the xp 3a I got:

XP 3a esc

Mux nFet pFet
A 0.5 1.0 1.5
B 0.3 1.1 1.4
C 0.1 1.2 1.3

In your .inc for for the xp 3a, you have the pFets different from what I mapped. Maybe double check the pFets.
...strange. Maybe there are different versions. Mine runs the motor just fine.
-S
Old 02-18-2012, 03:27 AM   #454 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
sskaug,

For the xp3a.inc,

You have:

P1_INIT EQU (1 SHL ApFET)+(1 SHL BpFET)+(1 SHL CpFET) ; Setting pFET outputs turn them off

How do you find out for the pfet and nfet if you set the bit to 1 it'll turn them on or off. I've noticed in some other code that on the tgy 6a esc (silab), you have to set the nfets to 1 to turn them off.

Is there a way to determine this with a multimeter or something?
pFETs always connect the motor output to V+, and when you put their gate to V+ they are off. And on when you put the gate to V-. And for nFETs it is the opposite.

Most ESCs have the MCU drive the pFETs via an inverter (transistor), so that when you set the output port high, the pFET gate is low (V-), and it is on. And most ESCs drive the nFET directly from the MCU. So, in most cases a high output port turns on pFET and nFET.

The small XP 3A devices do not have an inverter for the pFET gate, therefore a low output port will turn the pFET on.

And the Tgy 6A has inverters for both pFETs and nFETs...
Old 02-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #455 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, this is an important clue. Inverter must be properly taken into account.
Without the inverter would be no pFet >1S operation possible.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #456 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
XP 7a esc

Mux nFet pFet
A 0.5 1.2 1.5
B 0.3 1.1 1.4
C 0.1 1.0 1.3
GND / 1k / 10k / VCC

Hopefully I've been mapping my escs correctly.
OK double check!
But what do You mean with 1k/10k ???

@all: Could You share at least please the Header files, so we don't produce different types?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XP-7a  both sides.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	290813  

Last edited by 4712; 02-18-2012 at 11:05 AM..
Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #457 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4712 View Post
OK double check!
But what do You mean with 1k/10k ???

@all: Could You share at least please the Header files, so we don't produce different types?
The 1k resistor and 10k are resistors that are connected to ground to vcc.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #458 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just did some speed comparison of the SiLabs vs the Atmel:
The Atmel main "studders" around 150000 electrical rpm, which corresponds to a headspeed of 5500-6000 with an 8T pinion.
The SiLabs main runs well up to at least 240000 electrical rpm, which is about 10000rpm headspeed
The benefit of 24Mhz clock instead of 8MHz...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #459 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Steffen,

I found out the pfet the source (i think) leg was connected to V+ then for the nFet one (source) leg is connected to GND. Then the Gate is connected to the MCU. Then the drain is connected to the motor.

When mapping the nfet/pfet to the ports, if it looks like this.

MCU-Pin->(A Nfet's Gate)-Nfet-(Nfet drain connected to A Pfet's Drain)-Pfet-(MCU connected to A Pfet's gate) (Drain)-Motor

MCU-Pin->(B Nfet's Gate)-Nfet-(Nfet drain connected to B Pfet's Drain)-Pfet-(MCU conected to B Pfet's gate) (Drain)-Motor

MCU-Pin->(C Nfet's Gate)-Nfet-(Nfet drain connected to C Pfet's Drain)-Pfet-(MCU Connected to C Pfet's Gate)-(Drain)-Motor

So, I'm calling the A nfet and Apfet the same if their drain are connected.

Is that how you map the pins Steffen? That's how I've been mapping the pins, I'm not sure if it's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
pFETs always connect the motor output to V+, and when you put their gate to V+ they are off. And on when you put the gate to V-. And for nFETs it is the opposite.

Most ESCs have the MCU drive the pFETs via an inverter (transistor), so that when you set the output port high, the pFET gate is low (V-), and it is on. And most ESCs drive the nFET directly from the MCU. So, in most cases a high output port turns on pFET and nFET.

The small XP 3A devices do not have an inverter for the pFET gate, therefore a low output port will turn the pFET on.

And the Tgy 6A has inverters for both pFETs and nFETs...
Old 02-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #460 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
So, I'm calling the A nfet and Apfet the same if their drain are connected.

Is that how you map the pins Steffen? That's how I've been mapping the pins, I'm not sure if it's correct.
That's how it's done

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in