Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Antique Out of Production and Vintage Helicopters > E-Sky Helicopters > HBFP V1/V2

HBFP V1/V2 E-Sky Honey Bee V1 & V2 Fixed Pitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Metal Head Upgrade...Xtreme, any good?

I've seen alot of discussion about the Xtreme head, it appears to be the only metal upgrade for this heli online next to the microheli one. I've read about the ball links falling off easily due to them not being loctite'd in, can this issue be solved? Main question being is this a feasible upgrade? The reason I'm posting this is because I think I bent a main shaft, and I want to say that finding a replacement is unfortunately near impossible unless I go the eBay route and spend close to $7 per shaft as opposed to being able to bulk order them @ $3 a piece through websites which sadly do not carry them...I'm assuming that the Xtreme shaft can only be used with the Xtreme head.
Rain is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes the lack of locktite issue can be easily solved by applying Locktite yourself.

And yes the extreme shaft has to use the extreme head.
Birdkiller is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdkiller View Post
Yes the lack of locktite issue can be easily solved by applying Locktite yourself.

And yes the extreme shaft has to use the extreme head.
Haha I didn't mean to sound so stupid about the loctite issue...what I meant to say was can the issue be solved even if I do loctite them in myself or if there was just an overall design flaw that prevented them from staying in altogether no matter what you did, thanks for the clarification though.

I basically got overconfident and ended up crashing. I had her hovering solid as a rock around my yard for a good 5 minutes, and then of course you start thinking "what else can I do?" Needless to say I ended up crashing it pretty hard...landed on it's side, broke off a blade and popped off my training gear

What I'd like to say is that I absolutely adore this little machine if all is in working order, that thing was flying so smooth I couldn't believe it, no slop, vibration, nothing. That was with the Xtreme blades on though. I put the stock blades back on and the thing just vibrates terribly, once you start getting enough headspeed for lift the thing is practically tipping over it's vibrating so bad, so I think I did indeed bend a main shaft.

Sad part of this whole thing is that if these parts WERE available they'd be selling like hotcakes, I just can't seem to understand why E-Sky isn't producing....Even selling main shafts @ $3 a piece they must only cost pennies to make....I freaking love this helicopter and crashing doesn't discourage me in the slightest, the thing that discourages me is the inability to repair it due to lack of parts...but I won't be slighted. I must press on!
Old 05-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm so glad to here you got her flying so smoothly! It is quit rewarding to finally get a bee flying sweet isn't it!?

I didn't think of your locktite quiestion as being stupid at all, a lot of people don't know that its pretty much required across the board with helis is to locktite EVERYTHiNG!!! Otherwise it will eventually come loose.

Getting over confident and crashing is the name of the game brother, that's how you progress, otherwise you'll just be hovering around for ever. This is the purpose of the bee, cheap easy to repair, push your limits until you crash...LEARN FROM IT, then do it again.

Yes the parts thing really sucks a fat one, but it looks like Esky may start refilling distributers. I actually make main shafts for extreme heads, it looks like I need to make a few for the stock head..
Old 05-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm so glad to here you got her flying so smoothly! It is quit rewarding to finally get a bee flying sweet isn't it!?

I didn't think of your locktite quiestion as being stupid at all, a lot of people don't know that its pretty much required across the board with helis is to locktite EVERYTHiNG!!! Otherwise it will eventually come loose.

Getting over confident and crashing is the name of the game brother, that's how you progress, otherwise you'll just be hovering around for ever. This is the purpose of the bee, cheap easy to repair, push your limits until you crash...LEARN FROM IT, then do it again.

Yes the parts thing really sucks a fat one, but it looks like Esky may start refilling distributers. I actually make main shafts for extreme heads, it looks like I need to make a few for the stock head..
Would crappy blades cause vibration issues? I took my head off and spun up the motor, the flybars track fine, no noticeable vibration, feels smooth as can be.

I must say I like E-Sky quality, but the blades are just terrible, they are cheap and flimsy, they have no real retainable shape to think of....Should I just order myself another set of Xtreme blades? They balanced up really nice with only 1 strip of the included tape, I can barely get the E-Sky ones to balance with an inch of electrical tape
Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
Would crappy blades cause vibration issues? I took my head off and spun up the motor, the flybars track fine, no noticeable vibration, feels smooth as can be.

I must say I like E-Sky quality, but the blades are just terrible, they are cheap and flimsy, they have no real retainable shape to think of....Should I just order myself another set of Xtreme blades? They balanced up really nice with only 1 strip of the included tape, I can barely get the E-Sky ones to balance with an inch of electrical tape
Yeah man my opinion on the stock blades is pretty much the same, they're only good for the trash can.

Others say they're good for beginners, but I think they just cause more problems than anything.

I have a bunch hanging on the wall that I ordered when I originally bought the bird, and that's were they will stay.

go for the extremes, or my favorite the super blade XP's.......I've never had to tape any super blades, always perfectly balanced.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah man my opinion on the stock blades is pretty much the same, they're only good for the trash can.

Others say they're good for beginners, but I think they just cause more problems than anything.

I have a bunch hanging on the wall that I ordered when I originally bought the bird, and that's were they will stay.

go for the extremes, or my favorite the super blade XP's.......I've never had to tape any super blades, always perfectly balanced.
Where can I get some Super Blades? I've always looked around but have only found Xtremes. Buying the full Xtreme metal setup right now (swash, flybar plate, hub, holder) Also got the Bell-Hiller mixing arm set. Haha spending more than what I paid for the whole heli but this will be worth it for sure. CP3 motor should be here soon, this heli will be beautiful heh.

Someone also mentioned getting a CP3 flybar and paddles, can anyone confirm this? If so I'll toss it in with the rest of my order so I won't have to get anything else later
Old 05-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi all
I have an Xtreme head assembly, Xtreme shaft and Xtreme Bell Hillier upgrade and i have just done a brushless outrunner motor modification as well to my Honeybee V2 and that was the best mod i have done and it flys brilliant.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	230897  
davethepitch is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Where can I get some Super Blades? I've always looked around but have only found Xtremes. Buying the full Xtreme metal setup right now (swash, flybar plate, hub, holder) Also got the Bell-Hiller mixing arm set. Haha spending more than what I paid for the whole heli but this will be worth it for sure. CP3 motor should be here soon, this heli will be beautiful heh.

Someone also mentioned getting a CP3 flybar and paddles, can anyone confirm this? If so I'll toss it in with the rest of my order so I won't have to get anything else later
Cant confirm the CP3 flybar setup, but i would go carbon anways...no bending and straighting nonsense, either perfectly straight or broke! And theyre not very easy to break! I would also recomend super paddles much smaller lighter makes the heli much more responsive.
you get all three super blades, super paddlez and carbon flybar from Superskids.com.......oh yeah, if you want the super skids as well go with the 450size if you want a widder stance.

Rock on bro!
Old 05-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I'm so glad we don't seem to have the parts availability problem here in the Netherlands, not that that's of much help since I don't know if any of the Dutch web-shops ship overseas...

Anyway, about the stock blades. After turning my wooden blades into firewood last weekend (and bending a main shaft in the process, expecting a new spare shaft to be delivered tomorrow) I've refitted the Bee with the stock blades. They're good enough for hovering and indoor flying for me, but I'm a beginner. I used to have some vibration and tracking problems with them, but I got that sorted out. Here's some tips:
  • Make sure your flybar is absolutely 100% straight. I noticed that even a slightly bent flybar can cause vibration and/or tracking problems. I prefer to replace the flybar if I can't bend it back absolutely correctly.
  • The blades need to be tightened with pretty much the identical force.
  • The blades can be balanced with some fast drying correction fluid. Use the old trick of balancing the head on two glasses and use a ruler to see if the blades are balanced. The advantage of correction fluid is that it can be applied in small amounts to balance the blades perfectly, helps with tracking and looks cool when you're flying . The drawback is that it may come off in a crash.
  • Needless to say, make sure the flybar is balanced and that the paddles are horizontal.
Takes a bit of work, but this usually makes my bird free of vibrations and tracking problems (without needing to twist any blades). And at 3.00 EUR a set, the stock blades hurt a lot less financially than Xtreme wooden blades (10.50 EUR) when crashing, and physically too, don't ask...
Old 05-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just ordered the whole metal head setup, 2 sets of Xtreme Blades, 3 main shafts, an extra main gear, Bell-Hiller, and some of those extra dogbones for the head, this should work out pretty nice. Hopefully my CP3 motor and heatsink will get here with the rest of the stuff
Old 05-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Just ordered the whole metal head setup, 2 sets of Xtreme Blades, 3 main shafts, an extra main gear, Bell-Hiller, and some of those extra dogbones for the head, this should work out pretty nice. Hopefully my CP3 motor and heatsink will get here with the rest of the stuff

Let us know how this setup is going to work for you, I'm interested Spending more money on parts/upgrades than the initial cost of the bird itself seems to be quite common with this heli
Old 05-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdouden View Post

Let us know how this setup is going to work for you, I'm interested Spending more money on parts/upgrades than the initial cost of the bird itself seems to be quite common with this heli
Hahaha I just realized what I just did as far as spending more money on the upgrades than the initial cost of the heli...Whatever it feels good. Pics will be posted.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hahaha I just realized what I just did as far as spending more money on the upgrades than the initial cost of the heli...Whatever it feels good. Pics will be posted.
That's the spirit! I'm in the same situation here, parts/upgrade to initial cost ratio is nearing 3:1, it's no problem as long as mrs dvdouden doesn't find out, lol
Old 05-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdouden View Post
That's the spirit! I'm in the same situation here, parts/upgrade to initial cost ratio is nearing 3:1, it's no problem as long as mrs dvdouden doesn't find out, lol
I sense a Telebee gyro in my bee's future
Old 05-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lolol

plan on spending more $ fellas....it's a mad addiction once you get started... By now I've easily dropped $400-$500 extra on Bee related items such as upgrades, batteries, chargers, mods, esc. It really doesn't take long for it all to add up.

That's what makes the bee so great you can stay low cost and semi stock and have a great flying fun bird, or you can create a monster with a reasonable amount of money..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in