Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Align 3G FBL System

Align 3G FBL System Align 3G FBL Flybarless System Software and Hardware Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #401 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

No problem. Notice on picture no. 0679 how I split the wires from the servos and send the signal wire to the 3G unit and the power wires to the receiver. All you have to do is use a sharp point to lift the small tab on the servo connectors and remove the power wires. Then reconnect them on the empty holes on the receiver side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #402 (permalink)
Registered Users

Very nicely done.
dfrazier is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #403 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for great info.
I finished my 3G wiring lastnight.

more pictures here:https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=16
masa2828 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #404 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is some strange in my opinion..
I can't understand this will be so serious problem..
How is the wire which supply power to receiver from BEC or regulator?
I think this is also one power and one ground, not so thick..if the servo power line has problem, there should be also problem to receiver, because this is upstream. Am I wrong? I gues if you will add more bus line for servo, you should add more power line from bec or regulator to your receiver first. This will be more serious, because this line required not only power for servo, but also for receiver itself.
Cheers~
punsea is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #405 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
I can check at the battery, but I would NOT worry, its within normal I would suspect, i.e. NO PROBLEM. (all depends on the quality of the pack and charge level)
MrMel tested my 3G unit with V2 software. I am pretty calm running standard cables on my unit.

lindahl is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #406 (permalink)
Registered Users

I did some triky rewiring to help spread the load a little better. I am running the ICE75. Castle says its good to fly the bird but I just don't trust it being that close to the edge. Here is how I have it set up. The short answer is I have the ICE75 BEC powering receiver and the align unit. Both of these are easily under 1 amp so no worries there at all for brown outs due to over current. I then power all four servos with a 10amp CC BEC.

So 10amp (effectively 5 due to the 22v input) for the servos
and 5 amps for the receiver and align unit.

So far no issues. I only have about 4 flights on it so far but this logically seems to be a ton more safe.

How I did it to keep it clean and tidy wiring wise is I took the unit apart and cut the trace between the servo power and the align unit power with an exacto. I then bridged the power between the three cycle to the tail sero power pad. So there is now a common bus of power internal to the align unit but seperate from the align input voltage. I then powered the bus with a pretty hefty Y cable on the tail servo lead but any servo would do beings they are all connected. You can wire it however makes sense but this keeps it really super clean and the least ammount of splicing and jumping wires across units like most things seen on here. The only thing that is any less cluttered on mine compared to stock is the one Y cable! Slick!

can't figure out how to attach a pic twice so here is my external link to it
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2884350/fix_for_FBL.JPG
-Beall
rbeall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #407 (permalink)
Registered Users

Most of us just use the STOCK config. But like ive always said........If it puts peace in your heart and mind..........by all means ....do it!
jondabear is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #408 (permalink)
Registered Users

Choppengruven: did you figure out what caused you 3g to cut all 3 cyclic servoes including the tail servo? The exact same thing happened twice to me yesterday while I was about to lift of the ground, Scary as hell and a miracle that I didnt crash. All was ok after rebooting. I noticed a kick in the tail servo before everything went dead at one of these incidents. I have been trying to figure out what caused this all day and started to worry If I forgot to update the controller unit to the V2,1 software and only updated the sensor, and that a software crash between the two units caused the problem.Anyway, today I did the updating prosedure again and made sure I did it right. Will try the 700 later tonight. Scared as hell!! Loosing control off all servos but the throttle on a 700 is not something I would like to experience anymore..
larsst185 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #409 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

with all this cuting wires here cuting wires there. why not use something like CCPM Perfect regulator
and use the signal leads into the PR then you could feed 8.4V if you wanted to to the servos, and the
3G control unit will get 5v from the PR?

Your done...
Dwntyme is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #410 (permalink)
Registered Users

UPDATE!!!!1

6 MONTHS!..........STOCK setup High voltage. SAME SKINNY wiring!

300+ flights on 2 different birds. (300+ each)

I guess the proof WAS in the pudding. Pulled apart the "boxes" .....NO SIGN of over drawing current or degraded traces, burnt or HOT SPOTS on board and all this thru a 18 gauge wire.

Works like its supposed to! Lets see if we can get another 6 months outta it. " UNICORN" ring a bell? ( Quote: its like a Unicorn -the power buss THING- May or may not exist.......Ive never seen it, but Id be inclined to think its more a figment of my imagination" )

SETUPS : trex 600 LE fbl - Align 610's on 8.4v, align 620 on throttle, align 650 on tail, Switchglo pro, ar7100, align gov. , NRG 2500 mah rx lipo. -3 solid flights on this batt.

Trex 700 LE fbl- 8717HV on cyclic, Align 620 on throttle, align 650 on tail, AR7100R, Switchglo pro, NRG2500 mah rxs pack.

Rock solid set ups with no problems. 2 crashes on 7, 3 crashes on 6.

PEACE!
Old 10-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #411 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

QUOTE:

300+ flights on 2 different birds. (300+ each)

SETUPS : trex 600 LE fbl - Align 610's on 8.4v, align 620 on throttle, align 650 on tail, Switchglo pro, ar7100, align gov. , NRG 2500 mah rx lipo. -3 solid flights on this batt.

Hi Jondabear,
I have the same setup as you on a 600, I am using the Align 2in1 to power the system only because I was told not to consider running the Align servos at 2s 8.v4. I am using the AR7100R, so I am not using the align gov. It shows above that you are using the Align 610 at 8.4v. Is that correct? If you have done so for 300+ flights and not had any problems, then I will try that as well. Thanks for all your info on this 3G forum. It's guys like you that keep us newbs in the hobby. Terry
teb1963 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #412 (permalink)
Registered Users

Teb hi

I also run 610's at straight 2s lipo. AR7100 on a trex 600 FBL well over 130 flights.
pani is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 07:21 PM   #413 (permalink)
Registered Users

Now THAT is why I do sooo much work in here. Its good to here that I actually make a difference. Its all about enjoying a hobby. Thanx for the awsome comments my friend.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #414 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am only now installing my first 3G and am a bit bewildered by this very long sticky. Can someone (jondabear?) perhaps quickly reconcile/sum-up the 42 pages of this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by masa2828 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by punsea View Post
I can't understand [how] this will be [a] serious problem.. if the servo power line has [a] problem, there should be also [a] problem to [the] receiver [which receives power for ALL servos via a skinny cable from the BEC].
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondabear View Post
6 MONTHS!..........STOCK setup High voltage. SAME SKINNY wiring!
Q1: Has the community concluded that the concern that sparked this thread was unfounded?

Q2: I fly a Rx that does NOT have a dual power bus. If I were to install new high-powered digital servos on the swash, could I actually feed power for these servos via a separate BEC into the 3G (via the AIL servo plug, say), running only the swash signal wires back to the Rx and leaving the rudder channel to continue to draw power from the Rx (via 3-wires)?

Thanks !

Last edited by ollie2893; 11-10-2010 at 10:04 AM..
ollie2893 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #415 (permalink)
Registered Users

Which servo extensions have the same pin as the align ones?? Struggling to find a plug that I can switch my pins around with.
Great article, cheers for sharing all the info.
sockrim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 PM   #416 (permalink)
Registered Users

Summing it UP!.........Dont worry about it.....Plug and play as designed, IT WORKS!

Thats 21 years of DC electronics speaking behind that suggestion. Ive NEVER had to do anything special to these......DOESNT need it!.

Example.......Ive pulsed over 30 AMPS thru a 18 gauge wire and had at least 10 put through it consistantly.(vehicle DC applications, No worries.

Not saying or recommending what to do, Just giving you the facts as they have played out in my world.......PEACe
Old 11-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #417 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks, Jon. So really, this sticky should be removed/replaced lest it frightens newcomers. Do you know anything re Q2? When I read the Align manual, it really does sound to me like +/- for the swash servos are on a separated power bus. If I should hit the limits on my very well performing and outstanding value Hyperion 4(5)A CoolBEC, I might be more inclined to add a second such BEC than to shell out on a WR etc. I am thinking that I would remove the 2 powerline pins from the 3G aileron pigtail and connect those to one BEC at 6V. The other BEC I would switch to 5V to have it feed the Rx + tail (obviating once again the need for a stepdown). I'd like to think that the 3G only feeds from one power source - either the one arriving via the rudder pigtail, or the one from the aileron pigtail. The only oddity that this would thus bring about is that presumably either the signal from the tail or the signals from the swash will be grounded (via the 3G processor) against the non-original BEC. Is this an issue?

EDIT: I checked and the controller actually feeds from the aileron pigtail, which is slightly unfortunate since I had thought that the swash circuitry is much higher loaded/less electrically stable than the Rx/rudder circuitry.

Last edited by ollie2893; 11-27-2010 at 08:16 AM..
Old 11-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #418 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just make sure that the same Negative potential is exacted to ONE point to prevent any loops or residual noise from electronics. (Tie the negs in at a good point). Seperate buss'? Yes, Cyclic and tail are indeed seperated.
Q2? Yes.....That seems to be a very effective way to do it. Very safe as well. Shouldnt have any problems with that setup.

Post back your results. Let us know how she feels with your setup. Peace!

Old 11-27-2010, 05:00 AM   #419 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondabear View Post
Just make sure that the same Negative potential is exacted to ONE point to prevent any loops or residual noise from electronics.
The "ONE point" is the common flight pack that both BECs ground back to, correct?
Old 11-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #420 (permalink)
Registered Users

Correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in