Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 02:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location
Default Aerospire MultiGov Pro Setup Videos

Well I finally got a MultiGov to try out! Special thanks to Aerospire. I was helping someone on the forum a few weeks ago with a MultiGov question and Aerospire PM'ed me and asked if I was interested in trying a MultiGov. They did not ask me to do a video setup but you know me

This unit has some serious features! I cant wait to get it installed and replace my Carb Smart and reduce my component count and wiring

Anyway here is a set of "on the bench" setup videos explaining the unit and showing you how to set up.

Overview of the MultiGov and it's Features
Video Link ->Overview and Features (22 Megs)

Connections for the RX, Servos, Sensors, etc
Video Link ->Connecting the unit up (40 Megs)

Hardware setup discussion and "base" radio config for X9303 and the DX7
Video Link ->Hardware & Basic Radio Setup (39 Megs)

Menu Structure and Gov Menu Setup
Video Link ->Gov Menu Setup (47 Megs)

Mixture Menu Setup
Video Link ->Mixture Menu Setup (35 Megs)

Advanced Menu Setup
Video Link ->Advanced Menu Setup (35 Megs)

Setting the Throttle Curves before you fly
Video Link ->Basic Throttle Curves Setup (35 Megs)

OK that does it for the basics of setting up the MultiGov. I will now get mine installed and tested in the field. I will come back with a follow up video of any changes I made for my T600 and how the unit worked out! So Stay tuned!

Bob
rafaelcliff likes this.

Last edited by Skiddz; 01-22-2019 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: "Fixed" video links
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Bob the -- Video Link ->Mixture Menu Setup Is not working
madmick is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am going to try the Spectrum sensor on my Raven because of the difficulty of a standard sensor mount. I have heard that it should work.

Rob...
RadioRob is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmick View Post
Hi Bob the -- Video Link ->Mixture Menu Setup Is not working
Ooops.... typo! It's fixed.

Bob
rafaelcliff likes this.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRob View Post
I am going to try the Spectrum sensor on my Raven because of the difficulty of a standard sensor mount. I have heard that it should work.

Rob...
Yes that sensor will work with the Multigov.

Bob
Old 09-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have been waiting for the Multigov video.I am downloading now.

Thanks Bob!!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

i have been running the multi gov for about 14 months now and it has been flawless I had time to mess with my friends pro and it with the added stuff is setting the bench mark for govs.( he was using the gv1 before 150 bucks and now knows why i was bugging him to smash his gv1)
sonofcar is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Been using the multi gov for over a year. Chung set it up for me in vegas finaly bob did a video so I can set it up right myself. Not to say Chung did it wrong but you never know what youll get from the guy who hung his heli on a fishing pole to learn inverted hover. Thanks Bob
rafaelcliff likes this.
cmoney79 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have been waiting for this series to come for a LOOOONG time! THANK YOU FINLESS!!!!! Cant wait to get your opinion on it as this is the only gov I have ever used I'd like to hear a comparison or a "Finless Approved" stamp on it!
heliadict1212 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 12:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just installed the gov with the spektrum sensor. But when I test the sensor, it's always "ON" and when the crankshaft is in front of the sensor it's "---". I was waiting for an inverted behaviour... Can I fly like this?

Last edited by lionc; 10-20-2008 at 02:55 AM..
lionc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

What motor? If a YS motor then you have to back the spectrum sensor off the back plate a little.

Bob
Old 10-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a TT 53 RL. But I will try this. Thanks a lot.

I tried to add more space, it's working very well.

Last edited by lionc; 10-21-2008 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: solved
lionc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2008, 05:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,

How the '3D' mode in the governor mode perfomed? Also, have you tried the limiter mode?

I dont understand why the people at Aerospire recommended that u turn off the limiter, and use the governor mode.

Cheers
Old 11-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Because the MGP, in gov mode, reads the throttle curve and can actually advance the throttle BEFORE the RPM drops.

The old thing that limiters react quicker is BS. If they don't have read ahead, they still have to wait for the RPM to change to respond. Any good governor should be able to respond as fast as the servo does. Maybe in the early days with slower processors, a limiter would "feel" better, but I can't see it with a recent product design.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Because the MGP, in gov mode, reads the throttle curve and can actually advance the throttle BEFORE the RPM drops.

The old thing that limiters react quicker is BS. If they don't have read ahead, they still have to wait for the RPM to change to respond. Any good governor should be able to respond as fast as the servo does. Maybe in the early days with slower processors, a limiter would "feel" better, but I can't see it with a recent product design.

I disagree on your comment about the limiter. Other than the multigov, a limiter has always worked better. It is not chasing the rpm on both the low side and the high side. It JUST looks for overspeed. Your throttle curve is 100% flat and a limiter only touches the throttle when it starts to see an over speed.
Most govs I have tried (I have tried a lot of them) have a problem with under speed. e.g. come out of a loop and it drops the rpm too much. Increasing the middle idle curve point doesn't help either! To fix this you have to teach the gov that the low stick is not as low (when your programming it). Royal pain in the butt as it is trial and error. With a limiter you don't have to do that and overall a limiter reacts faster as it is only doing one thing... Limiting.....
The multigov is the first governor I have used that does not seem to have this problem so the software does a good job there!

Bob
Old 11-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Is there a reason for running the centerpoint so high Bob?
I mean, a centerpoint at 80% would make the heli scream in case of a sensorfailure or losing a magnet.
My understanding of govenors is that as long as you dont have a throttlecurve that dont go below the armingpoint of the gov it wont care what your throttlecurve looks like.
So, cant we use a "flyable" throttlecurve on the multigov?
Then in case of a failure of some sort you still could fly in for a landing instead of having to auto it down.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
I disagree on your comment about the limiter. Other than the multigov, a limiter has always worked better. It is not chasing the rpm on both the low side and the high side. It JUST looks for overspeed. Your throttle curve is 100% flat and a limiter only touches the throttle when it starts to see an over speed.
Most govs I have tried (I have tried a lot of them) have a problem with under speed. e.g. come out of a loop and it drops the rpm too much. Increasing the middle idle curve point doesn't help either! To fix this you have to teach the gov that the low stick is not as low (when your programming it). Royal pain in the butt as it is trial and error. With a limiter you don't have to do that and overall a limiter reacts faster as it is only doing one thing... Limiting.....
The multigov is the first governor I have used that does not seem to have this problem so the software does a good job there!

Bob
I did say a GOOD governor. Actually I was talking about the MGP and didn't want to dis any other govs that might also do a good job.

Yes, some of them don't do this, but that is because they aren't reading the throttle curve properly. The throttle curve shouldn't do anything except clue the gov that the pitch is increasing or decreasing. Not really how much.

Talking with Bob of Aerospire yesterday, (he was wondering when you were going to visit? ), for gov mode on the MGP the best throttle curve in Idle Up is 100 - 65 - 100. Steeper can cause the gov some trouble. For running the MGP in limiter mode, use 100 - 80 - 100. Seems he reads the throttle curve even in limiter mode.

As to how govs versus limiters work, it doesn't matter whether you are just looking for over-speed or over- and under- speed. It does matter how you use the info. But there is no reason that a gov should not perform as well or better than a limiter. Only the limitations of the firmware and the designer cause that to happen. Assuming a reasonably fast processor for the work.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Talking with Bob of Aerospire yesterday, (he was wondering when you were going to visit? ),
Where? I forget where Aerospire is located?

Quote:
Only the limitations of the firmware and the designer cause that to happen. Assuming a reasonably fast processor for the work.
Agreed... but up until now trying many govs and never really using a rev limiter until the AR7100, the Rev limiter has worked better than any gov I have used, UP until using this multigov... I am going to have to try limiter mode on the MGP just for grins...

FYI the 65 low point for the V is relative to the heli setup too.. The center throttle mark is not always 1/2 power depending on the engine, pipe, tuning, etc! So I bet the 65 he is saying is using OS 50 hyper? For instance with the Align gov 65-70 works best on a 600 OS 50... On the 700 you need 80 for YS but about 70 for OS. On my 600 with the MPG I have 70 and it seems fine and probably close enough to 65. Haven't tried the MPG on a 90 with a YS yet.
Also I bet what pipe you use and tuning of it will effect power / RPM at specific carb locations so 65% on one might not be the same on another.
Anyway all I am saying is plugging in 65 for every heli is probably a good starting point but you might have to tweak depending on setup.

Bob
Old 11-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quick check for a nitro newbie:

Mixture control turns needle valve left when hot, right when cold. Correct? I used a blow dryer on the sensor and the servo turned the valve left (richer mixture).
rubbersoul is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Well yes and no... If the arm attached to the needle valve is pointing up then it would be one way. Pointed down would be a different way! So dont look at which way the arm goes.

Looking directly at the needle valve, leaning the mixture you turn the needle valve clockwise. To richen mixture you turn it counter clockwise.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in