Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Walkera Helicopters > 4G3

4G3 Walkera 4G3 Helicopter Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Received my 4G3 today

So i have a few questions. I ordered it with the knew walkera 2801 transmitter, and i have to take it to almost full throttle before it starts to lift. i haven't really got it off the ground yet as i dont have room and dont feel comfortable yet. just wondering if throttle over 3/4 the way is right or do i need to do some adjusting? thanks - Jordan
Wymanj is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have no experience with the 4g3 or the new programmable transmitter, but I do have a pair of 4#3b. They do need more than ~60% throttle to really lift off but they also will climb pretty quickly.
You should be able to adjust the throttle curve through the Tx, or you could program more positive pitch earlier in the travel.
captainep3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

yeah i did find where you can change the curves. both throttle and pitch. but they didn't really seem to make to much of a difference. i probably should just read the manual...
Old 01-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I heard the manual is quite a "difficult" read to say the least... WowHobbies has gone so far as to create their own addendum to help explain the manual! I would love to see a copy of it... Walkera does have a "download" section on their site, but they don't list the 2801
Steve Joblin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

yeah ive looked through the manual a couple of times and i think im learning more just changing somethign and flying. something just isnt right tho. it take pretty much full throttle to get it to hover. should the pitch of the blades gradually increase as the throttle goes up? thats the way i understand it. and between no throttle until over 75% throttle they seem to stay nuetral. anyone flying the 4g3 with this remote? and if so, what do you have the throttle and pitch curves set at?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

In Normal flight mode the pitch should be neutral at 50%, but it should not be neutral at 75% so it sounds like you need to adjust the pitch. Up to 50% you are just getting the motor spinning.

I haven't adjusted that yet with the 2801 TX so I can't tell you how to do it, but I had done it with the old 2601 transmitter. There was a way to set the pitch with the stick at 50%.
Tom77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

what do you guys mean by normal mode. is that when you bind it with the throttle down? and then when you bind it with the throttle mid way its in the other mode?
Old 01-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, please correct me were I am wrong anyone since I am new to this, but there is Normal mode (where you don't intend to fly upside down) and 3D mode (also called Idle up mode ?) where you do intend to invert and fly upside down.

In 3D mode the blade pitch is neutral at center stick (50%) and in addition to the pitch going up as you move the stick up to 100%, the pitch will decrease as you move the stick to 0% and the motor will keep spinning all the way to 0% stick so that you can fly upside down.

The settings for 3D mode are a little different, but you shouldn't need to worry about that yet.

In Normal mode (where you don't intend to fly upside down) the motor should stop spinning at 0% stick and increase up to 50% stick, then at 50% the pitch should start increasing as you push the stick up to 100%.

There is a switch on the right 'shoulder' of the TX. Pushed back it is in normal mode, pulled forward it is in 3D mode.

Oh by the way, never hit the mode switch if the heli is sitting on your workbench plugged into the battery with the throttle stick at 0%... Stuff starts moving really quickly and it's not pretty.

Last edited by Tom77; 01-23-2009 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add an important fact
Tom77 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

well i ended up changing the transmitter to 2601 instead of 2801 for this heli. Its been working good, but this way doesn't allow for all the adjustments. Which i can live without. I crashed on my extra set of blades and had to use one from my first set that was good and one from the extra set. Now its been vibrating pretty badly? is it the blades or possible something else? when looking down on the blades as the spin the blue and red lines join toward the front and back of the heli, but to the left and right they are over an 1/8 away from each other...? please let me know how to fix this. thanks - Jordan
Old 01-25-2009, 03:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

The standard blades are pretty useless for learners like you and me.
What you need for sure :
- wooden blades, and order enough (I would say at least ten pair)
- several sets of blade controllers. I would order the original plastic ones, they snap if you hit something, protecting the rest of the mechanics.

The wooden blades are much more robust and more stable (better tracking) then the foam from Walkera. Also they are cheaper.
When you are comfortable with the heli, you can switch back to the original. I read somewhere they are better for 3D.

Continuing with broken blades makes no sense, the helicopter start vibrating, they are out of track, the tail will not hold anymore etc. As you observed.
One observation I made : check where the old blade is connected to the head. If it has been broken there, one blade will have a different angle. It is difficult to see sometimes, but the results are bad.

I order all my parts here :
http://www.chinesejade.com/walkera4G3.htm
John gives a fast service, and is cheaper then other suppliers I found.

It takes approximately 10 days to fly the parts in from HongKong.
jh71 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in