Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Batteries and Charging Support > Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support Brand Specific Charger and Battery Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Issue with Thunder Power TP-610c

Hello everyone.

I hope this forum has high traffic as this is rather urgent situation that I need solved by Sunday night PST.......

So I bought a Thunder Power TP-610c charger and a TP G8 2250mAH 6s 45c battery. I'm trying to figure out how to charge the battery but when I connected the battery to the balancer board of the charger following the instructions in the manual, starting the charging cycle would result in the "Voltage error or Wrong Polarity" error.

The battery is new (currently giving 22.9V), the charger is new, I'm pretty sure the connection is correct (as the battery can only plug into the balancer board in one way - the plug prevents mistakes)......

Has anyone had this issue before or knows about this charger and would be willing to help? Any help is appreciated.
zidanet is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Re: Issue with Thunder Power TP-610c

Can you post a picture showing how everything is connected? Is the charger set to do a 6S charge?

Sent using Tapatalk.
RedOctobyr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I hope the pictures show up ok. And thanks in advance for the help.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
HF Support

Your charger should be powered up before connecting the battery. Best to connect power leads first, then balance leads while the charger is on. Check the balance plus carefully make sure no wires pulled out. I find TP chargers a PIA these days ...
Old 05-25-2014, 02:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm completely new to this LiPo battery charging thing so please bear with my dumb questions....... On my battery there's a 6-pin lead (but only with 5 wires) and a 3-pin. Which one is the power leads and which one is the balancer?

If I'm understanding the above post correctly.... The order of plugging things in would be:

1. Plug in the power leads
2. Plug the charger in to power it up
3. Plug in the balancer leads
4. Start the charging cycle

Is that correct? I checked the board and it doesn't seem like the pins are getting pushed/damaged when I plug the battery in.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
HF Support

Power leads are the leads you connect the batter with to the motor. The balancer leads are the multicoloured ones with the 4 pin and 5 pin plus.

Order is power up the charger from its 12v power source or mains if has an integral PSU, then once it's done it's startup routine plug in the battery power leads after you have selected the correct charger program. Lastly plug in the balance leads then start it up
Old 05-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You need the main leads ("power leads") AND the balance leads connected, as Mercuriell said.

If you aren't connecting the main leads, the big red & black pair, you won't be able to charge.

Maybe you were doing that already and simply didn't mention it. But you cannot charge through the balance leads. You'll need to buy/make a cable (or buy a parallel board) which will go from the main connector type on your battery, to the 4mm banana/bullet connectors on the charger, labeled "Output".
Old 05-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the help everyone. I don't have the tools on-hand to modify the charging leads that came with the charger so I'll have to try it tomorrow. Hopefully nothing goes wrong......

Is there anything I should pay extra attention to while charging the battery?
Old 05-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Specifically? Not really, I guess, if charging 1 at a time.

For an excellent intro to LiPo charging, go here:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

Always connect the balance lead, as well as the main lead. Always do a balance charge, IMHO. Charge at 6S, 2.2A, for a 1C charge. As your charger is 80W, no matter what you set the charge current to, you'll max out at around 3.2A or a little higher, for 6S. 80W / 25.2V = 3.2A.

If you have questions on modifying the main leads, ask. Never ever connect the main leads to the battery, with the charge cable unplugged from the charger. If you do, you have exposed, live, male contacts. Let them touch, and you'll short them together. Something may melt, or weld together. Keep the charge cable plugged into the charger.
Old 05-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

a buddy just had that error yesterday. You need both balance, and mains connected for the charger to see the voltage. Also the 610c I gave him, 3 yrs old, would only do a 6 cell at max of 3 amps so if you want to charge at 2c or 3c charge rates you will end up needing a bigger power supple and charger. The 610c was perfect for my 3 cell stuff but took to long to charge 6 cell packs for field charging.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in