Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > MSH Protos

MSH Protos MSH Protos Helicopter Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEXAHYDRATE View Post
Just follow the cautions I mentioned and you won't have problems.

Most of the Spektrum haters who have had failures can be attributed to user error. Like running HV servos with 1 single power lead and getting a voltage drop bad enough to go below minimum voltage the sats require to operate.

I have 100's of hours flight time with no failures.
Just for clarification, can you explain more about what you said about the single power lead and hv servos.
Thanks
DX8G2
Jason Courville is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some people have been known to power the FBL controller with only 1 servo wire from the power source. Running 4 HV servos off of one small wire can cause issues.

The servos could draw so many amps in some situations that just using a single power lead will not be enough, and the voltage drop could be bad enough to go below minimum voltage for the sats or other electronics to function. Which can obviously end poorly.

It is highly recommended on a bigger heli setup to run 2 or even 3 power leads into you FBL controller, plugging them into any unused ports in the unit. At least 2 for sure which will obviously double the amps you are able to draw.

This is just one of many examples of a situation where people have blamed the sats or Spektrum. When in fact it's user error/bad setup.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Always 1 on anything smaller than 500mm for me
jmtyndall is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2016, 02:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

[quote=HEXAHYDRATE;7015932]Just follow the cautions I mentioned and you won't have problems.[quote]
Agree good advice.

Quote:
Like running HV servos with 1 single power lead and getting a voltage drop bad enough to go below minimum voltage the sats require to operate.
Not necessarily HV servos but in general high power ones especially aggressive tail servos. WIth ONLY my Savox 1290MG full size tail servo, when I wiggle the rudder stick fast enough on the bench motor not running it would brownout the FBL with stock YGE60A internal BEC. I'm now running external Castle BEC adjusted to 6.1V and no more brownout even with 3 high power aggressive cyclic servos. I don't know about Brain log, but with vBar log any brownout due to too much power draw from the servos is easy to see.. "3.3V rail low voltage" event log. You can also read the minimum BEC voltage recorded the current session. In my case, it was not voltage drop. It was the bad Sat leads. Like I said, I was expecting one finicky Sat harness would lead to system switching to the other Sat. Apparently the system still tried to use the data from the Sat with finicky leads. That's why I said that even though you have a good redundant system don't expect to slack off at any one point and expect the redundant system to cover it.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2016, 02:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree it does not have to be HV servos to cause problems. Just an example as I said. There are many other examples such as some of the V Bars having such a low capacity power bus it could cause the same voltage drop issue. I run multiple power leads on everything anyways. It's a couple dollars and a few minutes so why not even if you think you should be ok.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the clarification. I have a hobbywing 100a v3 and it comes standard with two BEC power leads. Someone had suggested to plug both into the flybarless on my Trex 500, now I know why. I wish all escs 50 amps and above had this.
DX8G2
Jason Courville is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep that's exactly why there is 2 wires on there. Some of us run seperate direct 2S power to HV servos. We end up usually having to make our own Y harness or whatever to get more than 1 power lead. There are several creative ways to do it.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Servo plugs are good for up to 10A. That's why BECs close to and beyond that run 2 leads.
DoubleCH is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2016, 11:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm always leary of using sats only. I had a neuron brown out and a spirit have disconnect with satellite only setups. My oxy suffered with a few crashes till I changed I did however have no problems running two satellites on my mini photos running ikon, maybe it was the sockets on those other FBLs

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
mattbeau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in