Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #181 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Just got the GPS module yesterday, pleasant surprise

Will install it and test it but not until next weekend as got family stuff this weekend.

Its a lot smaller than I was expecting for some reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #182 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworst View Post
I guess it could give you altitude above sea level? Would be cool if you could enter in your local elevation so it could automatically subtract and give your actual altitude. Wouldn't need an altitude sensor.

It notes the barometric pressure of where it takes off and then measures from there.
questech is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #183 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Hey guys.

Do you know if it will be possible to transfer the model data from a 12FG to the newer 14SG? I have all my models on a SD card from the 12FG. Can I just plug in the SD card into the 14SG and go?

Bax thinks I cannot do that. That these two radios have different programming language. Their programming is not compatiable.

Thanks,

Mike
ALWAYSPDG is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #184 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys,

I'm looking into this radio as a replacement for my old FF9 with TM-8.
I'm interested in the telemetry options as well but have a few questions, i have no expiriance with sbus or telemetry yet so i'm reading up on this. Hopefully someone can answer/confirm the following for me.

1) The R7008SB rx has PWM ports so i can still use non sbus servo's, and use telemetry over the sbus2 port right?

2) Is it possible to use multiple sensors over one sbus port like you would do with sbus servo's?

3) Can standard servo's, sbus servos and sensors be used combined?

4) Is it correct that Rx battery voltage is always visible on the 14SG without additional sensors because power is already supplied to it?

5) When installing additional sensors, i can imagine that different sensors need different menu items on the radio. Do you need to install anything or does it all work on the 'out of the box' radio?

6) And from the data collected by a sensor, only the min and max value per function is displayed afterwards?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Roy
Old 01-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #185 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRCH View Post
Hi guys,

I'm interested in the telemetry options as well but have a few questions, i have no expiriance with sbus or telemetry yet so i'm reading up on this. Hopefully someone can answer/confirm the following for me.

1) The R7008SB rx has PWM ports so i can still use non sbus servo's, and use telemetry over the sbus2 port right?
Correct.
Quote:

2) Is it possible to use multiple sensors over one sbus port like you would do with sbus servo's?
Correct with one nit pick. Sensors are connected to sbus2, not sbus. That's probably what you meant, but just wanted to make sure.
Quote:

Yes. You can connect 7 standard servos into the receiver (port 8 becomes the sbus port in the correct mode) and more into the sbus port. If you are using sbus2 servos, then all 8 standard ports are still available.
Quote:

4) Is it correct that Rx battery voltage is always visible on the 14SG without additional sensors because power is already supplied to it?
Yes.
Quote:

5) When installing additional sensors, i can imagine that different sensors need different menu items on the radio. Do you need to install anything or does it all work on the 'out of the box' radio?
Yes and no. In some cases, you can just connect them and they come up working. In other cases, a bit of programming is involved.
Quote:

6) And from the data collected by a sensor, only the min and max value per function is displayed afterwards?
Yes and no again. On the transmitter, it is yes. Only high and low. If you log the data, you can review it on your pc at home and see what the values were at any point in the flight.
Quote:

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Roy
You're welcome.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #186 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks!

Kind regards,
Roy
Hi Roy,

Here's my understanding on your questions.

1. Yes you can. However, the receiver has several operating modes. The 14SG/18MZ can be linked to two receivers at once for a given model. The 7008 can be configured to recognize channels 1-8 or channels 9-16, with or without s-bus active. You'll need to check the directions on how to figure out how to switch modes.

2. Yes you can but, like with the servos, you'll need to buy the optional s-bus hub or hubs to plug them all in.

3. As far as I know, yes, but the standard servos will only work directly in the receiver and the receiver will have to be configured as stated in #1. You'll also need to make sure that the each channel is properly assigned to the respective port in the transmitter itself under the Linkage / Function menu.

4. Yes!

5 and 6. I haven't gotten that far yet so can't answer that them.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck and Fly Safe,
Steve R.
Intrepid175 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #187 (permalink)
Registered Users

Additionally the R7008SB has a separate connector for an additional voltage using a low cost cable kit. That’s for monitoring the power battery on EP craft. That saves the expensive of having to purchase and expensive sbus2 sensor.
You just set the transmitter to alarm at low voltage. You will never need one of those LiPo monitor beeper things.

That receiver has PWM, sbus, and sbus2 ports so it’s compatible with all Futaba products.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #188 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Futaba 14SG-Telemetry!

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for the replies, it sure clarifies a lot:-)
But one more thing though, at point no.3 D.W. mentions "the correct mode", together with Steve's explanation of point no.1 i think i don't understand this point exactly.

You say the 14sg can operate with two receivers on the same model, do you mean that in the case of mixed sbus and standard servos the rx has to operate in two different modes simultaneously which makes it act like if it were two indepent receivers?
And doing so is necessary to split channels in standard (1-8) and sbus (9-16) mode?
Or do you specify per channel if it is configured as a standard or sbus channel?

Mike, okay thank you for the suggestion:-)
Old 01-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #189 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for the replies, it sure clarifies a lot:-)
But one more thing though, at point no.3 D.W. mentions "the correct mode".
The receiver is shipped with port 8 configured to be channel 8. If you want to use it for sbus, you have to change the receiver mode. The instructions for doing so are in the 14sg manual. I will let Steve explain his part of it.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #190 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_wheel View Post
The receiver is shipped with port 8 configured to be channel 8. If you want to use it for sbus, you have to change the receiver mode. The instructions for doing so are in the 14sg manual. I will let Steve explain his part of it.

Later;

D.W.
Hey Roy,

The 7008 receiver, as D.W. pointed out, is shipped configured to be a basic 8 channel receiver. You can link two of these receivers on one model in order to have up to 16 channels to play with. One receiver is set to recognize channels 1-8 and the other set to recognize channels 9-16. It's definitely overkill for helicopters as a general rule but a big help to scale folks and many times the glider folks.

You'll find a small button between the antennas. It's basically the same thing that we used to use to link the receiver to a given transmitter. In this case, that's not it's function. Linking is done differently with this receiver. If you press and hold that button while powering up the receiver (the transmitter doesn't need to be on) the light on the receiver will flash red. If it's flashing red one flash at a time, it's in 8 channel mode with no s-bus. Press the button once and release and the light will flash two at a time. That will be 7 channel (channels 1-7) with s-bus active. Press the button again, the light will flash three at a time which is channels 9-16, no s-bus. Press the button a fourth time, the light flashes four at a time and the receiver will be set for channels 9-15 with s-bus active. Press it again and it'll toggle back to one flash at a time. Once you get to the mode you want, press and hold the button for several seconds and the receiver will save the mode it's in.

I'm flying a FBL bird with the CGY750. The receiver is in mode 2 with an s-bus link to the 750. The servos plug into the 750 and everything works normally. Which way is best for you will just depend on what you're trying to do.

Hope this helps!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #191 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi D.W, Steve,

Okay, totally clear now. Thanks for taking the time to explain it:-)
I'm planning to use it on a Logo700 at first, but will equip my scale bird with the same receiver later on.
With everything i have read and heard now, i think the 14SG with the R7000SB is a perfect combo for me:-)

Thanks,
Roy
Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #192 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only complaint with the telemetry system is the cost of the sensors!
RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #193 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
The only complaint with the telemetry system is the cost of the sensors!
I'm sure we all understand that!

Fortunately for me, I'm not at a point where I care about that kind of bling although I do appreciate the receiver voltage downlink that's built into the FASSTest receivers!

Fly Safe
Steve R.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in