Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Futaba Radios and Electronics

Futaba Radios and Electronics Futaba Radios, Gyros, Servos, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 05:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Changing channel assignment in flight?

Hi - does anyone know if this is possible with any of the futaba radios? I fly a Multirotor with GPS autopilot and a camera gimbal and currently use 2 jr radios, one for control of the Multirotor and one to operate the camera gimbal. What I would like to do is have 1 tx and when I am using the GPS autopilot, switch to a mode where the tx sticks control gimbal pan and tilt instead of the Multirotor. I would like to know if this is possible before shelling out the cash on a new radio..

Thanks in advance.
dsankey1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not going to happen. the only thing you can move around is the switches, the gimbals can never be altered.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

As I understand your question, the answer is yes it can be done. I did the same thing a while back. The radio I was using at the times was a Futaba 12FG. I set up 2 separate modes (Futaba calls it Conditions) on 1 switch. With the switch in 1 position, the right stick controlled roll and pitch of the quad, and the gimbal was facing forward at about 45 degrees down. When I flipped the switch, auto level was turned on; roll and pitch were both at 0; and I had control of the gimbal with the right stick. Any radio that has 'Conditions' should be able to do the same thing. The 14SG has conditions in the Heli and Glider modes. The 18MZ also has conditions. If you can pick up a used 12FG or 12Z you will also have conditions.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I fly with a Futaba 10C and the only thing in the conditions menu is for the switches.
I did not know that futaba changed that ability in the newer radios. Sorry for my answer.
Good to know...
Old 01-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I've had a think about this today and looking through the 18mz manual I think I have come up with a slightly different solution.
It seems you can have multiple channels linked to each input - so for the right stick (L/R movement) i could have aileron and gimbal roll. I could then have a switch which in 1 position set aileron travel to 0 and gimbal travel to 100% and in the other position set aileron travel to 100% and gimbal travel to 0%. Same switch could be assigned to do the equivalent for elevator / tilt and rudder / pan.
What do you reckon - would this work?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsankey1 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've had a think about this today and looking through the 18mz manual I think I have come up with a slightly different solution.
It seems you can have multiple channels linked to each input - so for the right stick (L/R movement) i could have aileron and gimbal roll. I could then have a switch which in 1 position set aileron travel to 0 and gimbal travel to 100% and in the other position set aileron travel to 100% and gimbal travel to 0%. Same switch could be assigned to do the equivalent for elevator / tilt and rudder / pan.
What do you reckon - would this work?

Thanks
Linking multiple outputs may not work. The 12fg does that also and I tried it with no joy. It wasn't until I used conditions that I got it to work. Not saying for sure because I've never tried it on an 18mz. However, I know the conditions route works exactly as you stated.

Later;

D.W.

Last edited by d_wheel; 01-08-2014 at 07:45 AM..
d_wheel is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 04:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. Good to know it is possible. I thought it must be somehow!

Atb
Old 01-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

After reading your message again, you are correct. Gimbal channels are linked to the inputs of your choice using the Function menu, then programmed to respond how you want using the Conditions function.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Could you sue the sliders on the side of a 14sg or 8FG to control the gimble? that seems like the easiest solution.

VControl, Neo, Hobbywing, Goblin 570(s)
povern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by povern View Post
Could you sue the sliders on the side of a 14sg or 8FG to control the gimble? that seems like the easiest solution.
Sure. You can use anything you want. Using the aileron/elevator stick, at least for me, is just more intuitive. I don't have to remember which direction does what.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im with DW on that - with tilt AND pan its not as intuitive using the sliders - control for me is much more precise using the sticks. Besides, why do something easily when you can make it really complicated!
Trying to justify getting the 18MZ at the moment.... Looks amazing but lots of £$£$£$£$
Old 01-06-2014, 04:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi - does anyone know if this is possible with any of the futaba radios? I fly a Multirotor with GPS autopilot and a camera gimbal and currently use 2 jr radios, one for control of the Multirotor and one to operate the camera gimbal. What I would like to do is have 1 tx and when I am using the GPS autopilot, switch to a mode where the tx sticks control gimbal pan and tilt instead of the Multirotor. I would like to know if this is possible before shelling out the cash on a new radio..

Thanks in advance.
Best camera control is to use knobs LD and RD. That’s what I use and it’s the perfect solution. Not really sure why you would want to use anything else.

RC Mike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Im with DW on that - with tilt AND pan its not as intuitive using the sliders - control for me is much more precise using the sticks. Besides, why do something easily when you can make it really complicated!
Trying to justify getting the 18MZ at the moment.... Looks amazing but lots of £$£$£$£$
It can also be done with the 14SG and you would have an extra $2400 in your bank account. But of course you wouldn't have the pretty color screen .

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Trouble is I could really do with 15 channels... Currently looking to see if I could combine a couple of the channels and make the 14sg work without compromising functionality.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow! How come so many channels? The most I can remember were 11 on a full house sail plane.

Later;

D.W.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's a Multirotor with a gimbal and camera attached.
7 channels for the Multirotor and 8 for gimbal and camera control. I currently use 2 separate JR sets but could really tidy up and simplify the installation by using 1 futaba set, 1 rx and s-bus. It has a GPS autopilot too which is why I want to be able to switch the sticks to control the gimbal when the autopilot is on.
I am hoping to be able to use a buddy lead to allow a camera man with a futaba 8j or similar to take control of the camera gimbal channels if I'm not using the autopilot.

Trouble is I need to know if what I want to achieve is possible before I spend the money. Hence all the questions!

Do you know if when you buddy an 8j to a 14sg whether you can let the 8j have control of any of the 14 channels or can it only be 1 to 8?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in