Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Beam

Beam Beam Helicopters Factory Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 03:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Mounting a BD 3SX on a Beam - Ideas needed.

Has anyone in the BEAM E4 community mounted a Bavarian Demon 3SX on an E4?

I'm having conniptions trying to find a good place. As you know, the BEAM's main rotor shaft has about a 10 degree forward rake and the mount for the BD should match this.

- The plate commonly used for gyro's has this rake built in...BUT the heli frame is not wide enough (by about 3mm) to accept the 3SX.

I could mount the 3SX on the lower horizontal frame member, but because it DOESN'T have the main shaft's rake (its parallel to the earth and NOT perpendicular to the main shaft) I'd have to build a wedge of some sort to match the rake of the main shaft. There is also a small step of about 1mm caused by the discrepancy between the horizontal member and the 1mm step up through the window in the verticle member. I could file that away without sacrificing much strength.

Vertical mounting of the unit isn't an option as far as I can see due to the cluttered vertical frame members. Any thoughts for a 3SX mount?
onepiece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

You could build up the gyro plate with other carbon fiber pieces and push it back a little over the tail until it clears the side frames.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Another option would be to put shims between the side frames and cross braces but there are other difficulties associated with doing this.
1- you would need longer screws to the boom mount clamps
2- the frame would cover the holes on the bottom plate for the landing gear to be attached.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thumbs up Good one!

I like the shims on the gyro plate idea. Rake issue fixed!

With so much 'surface area' to bond to on the gyro mounting plate, I don't expect to introduce vibration problems with a cantilevered (by say 5mm) mounting to such a solid plate as the original gyro mount is. I'm thinking a very thin epoxy would be better than CA to bond the shims to the original gyro mounting plate.

Will scrounge around town for some 2 and 3mm CF shim stock. Can make the lower shim custom fit for the gyro mounting plate and be tall enough to clear the vertical frame member and the top shim slightly larger to be a perfect match for the 3SX's mounting tape footprint. Understand a fine hacksaw blade meant to cut metal is the one to use for fab-ing CF parts.

Thanks for this idea.

ATB and HNY,

OP
Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I would just stick the shim plate to the gyro plate with the 3M outdoors double sided tape, which in itself is 1.5 to 2mm thick.

If you do use epoxy, remember to scuff the surfaces to give the epoxy something to adhere to. JB Weld would be a good to use for this application.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile As my boss would say....

When I had duty on USS INDEPENDENCE and would have to make a case to do this or that activity... the XO would always retort: "There you go with that 'rational man' approach again" (intimating 'the hell if that will work' . . . he was usually right).

From what I've gleaned from the BD forum, the 3SX works much better using the ultra thin mounting tape that comes with the device - causing an almost rigid bond. That said, with my 'low G-force' flying style your idea just might work till I get the 3D flying bug.

Good point on the JB Weld. I have some sitting on my desk right now...and didn't even think about using it.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Happy New Year and Happy Flights!
I love my Beam, you know how they say you never forget your first
Old 12-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepiece View Post

- The plate commonly used for gyro's has this rake built in...BUT the heli frame is not wide enough (by about 3mm) to accept the 3SX.

I could mount the 3SX on the lower horizontal frame member, but because it DOESN'T have the main shaft's rake (its parallel to the earth and NOT perpendicular to the main shaft) I'd have to build a wedge of some sort to match the rake of the main shaft. There is also a small step of about 1mm caused by the discrepancy between the horizontal member and the 1mm step up through the window in the verticle member. I could file that away without sacrificing much strength.
I have my beastx mounted on the lower horizontal plate.. No issues that I have noticed.. But I actually never thought about that rake...I am now
xxGiXXerfiXXeRxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 05:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Arrow No issues...

Hmm,

If you've had no issues....I should probably try the lower horizontal member mount first before going hog wild with mods.

That said, with the 3SX about 33mm wide, I'd stll have to file away that small step created the cut out window in the vertical member. where it meets the horizontal member as the width of the frame (measured internal vertical side to other side) is still just about 30mm..

Thank you & HNY.

OP
Old 01-01-2014, 05:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Arrow

You and I are following similar paths...

I notice you have a Synergy E5. I too have a NIB Synergy E5 . . . but with a hectic work schedule and very limited spaces to fly nearby, I'm spending my time with the BEAM E4 also V. 1.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepiece View Post
You and I are following similar paths...

I notice you have a Synergy E5. I too have a NIB Synergy E5 . . . but with a hectic work schedule and very limited spaces to fly nearby, I'm spending my time with the BEAM E4 also V. 1.
My Beam was the first helicopter that I built, it took me almost one year to do so, following Finless' build video and reading everything about it in every thread, while practicing on the sim. First time off the ground was perfect, I couldn't believe how stable in a hover.

Next I bought a Miniature Aircraft Furion 6, very solid build flies big and fast, also took me 6 months to build and get it off the ground.

Then came the Synergy E5, gift from my wife - took me 6 months to get this one up. This heli is so smooth and I love the sound of it. To me it feels like a bigger version of the Beam.

Now I'm building a Goblin 500. I won this at a funfly raffle last summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in