Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 450

Blade 450 Blade 450 Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Naked FBL-No STAB 450 3D

So I tried an experiment today, going FBL using stock parts and no 3G system. Pics show how it looks. Had to dial in 50% D/R and 40% expo to have some control. It did fly pretty good, was very "quick" in response. I am a below average pilot and was able to maintain some control. I do not recommend this for new pilots as it is very unstable with out the flybar and no gyro. Thumbs got a great workout. But I thought I would show this as a possible option to a "poor mans" FBL, even though the FBL heads are fairly inexpensive.
This could be used with a 3G system and I don't see why it wouldn't work. You could even get the metal grips from HH and make it look cool. I did not have to adjust existing links to length, they worked as they were. 0 pitch at midstick and 10 degrees pos and neg with the correct stick inputs. I have a ZYX system coming for another bird and if the gyro works well, I will order another and try this with the 450 3D as it looks in the pics.
The washout base and links look as if they will fall below the main head pins, but upon spoolup they self center and nothing came loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2427.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	281700   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2426.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	281701   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2429.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	281702   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2430.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	281703  
Gaui X5 sweet! Warp 360 KST, B4503D Savox- all beastx, 250 SE flybarred-current shelf queen, 130X, Mcpx BL, Nano cpx, Mini Dragonfly, DX8 AMA #982022 If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.
shreddedpaper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2433.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	281708   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2434.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	281709  
Gaui X5 sweet! Warp 360 KST, B4503D Savox- all beastx, 250 SE flybarred-current shelf queen, 130X, Mcpx BL, Nano cpx, Mini Dragonfly, DX8 AMA #982022 If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

This is very interesting.. Any videos of the flights?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Unfortunately no, I have no way to film and fly.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I love it when you can see that people were clearly looking at there heli and using the good ol brain
Shafto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Shafto, maybe somebody can use this info and run with it. Benefits I can see are having stock parts readily available to use with 3G unit. Not having to wait on mail order for FBL head. I think the HH conversion was around $90.00.
Main head, two grips and feathering shaft. Couple of links. Stock parts are petty cheap.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

So your flying with out a FBL unit? Is it even flyable?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

It is flyable, it is a challenge, I did put the bar back on because I am not that good. I was bored today, slow time of year for me, and saw that it might work so I went for it. I flew one battery, hovering and some back and forth. It's extremely responsive, was a bit much at first until I adjusted for it mentally and in the radio. I did hold a hover. My main thought was to use this along with a 3G unit. I have no plans to buy the 450X . I have a ZYX coming for another bird, and if it works well, I'll get another for the Blade and try this setup. If it works, I'll keep it as the pics show. I believe it will work as it was doable without the 3G.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have no idea whether this is a good idea, dumb idea, should fly, shouldn't fly, but... what a cool thing to try.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I will happily keep you guys posted on progress. USPS is the time factor here. I may just get it done before the 450X release. Not a race for me, just a possibility. One heli at a time, I'm focusing currently on the clone project mainly because parts are available when I crash
I just put a new set of servos in that project this evening (they came in today) and I'm setting it up for flight as is to make the 3G install go more smoothly when it arrives, hopefully some time this week.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default video 4503D no STAB, stock head gear

http://youtu.be/aT5kvLk8tAQ
Nobar experiment (3 min 19 sec)

Nobar experiment, (2 min 36 sec)

I am new to you tube and not sure how to do this. Maybe copy and paste in browser if links don't work. I Apologize for the poor video quality.
Indoors because of gusty winds. Not enough room for any kind of flight or extended hover.

Edit: the links don't work, copy and paste. Two videos of hover were made because video didn't want to play on my computer and I assumed it was the camera. But they both turned out.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

All the links worked for me.

Looks like you have plenty of room... how about a flip or some piros? Hmm? Chicken? You can always get a new couch.

You hover better than I do with a flybar.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't know what to say...flying an experimetal heli in those close quarters is...well...extraordinary. I wouldn't attempt that with one of my proven 450 helis. But good show of control and I'll surely be following this experiment.
Being is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I actually tried this on my SR a few weeks ago. Did not get to fly it, as the linkage rods are too short, but I couldn't understand why it wouldn't work.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Being View Post
I don't know what to say...flying an experimetal heli in those close quarters is...well...extraordinary. I wouldn't attempt that with one of my proven 450 helis. But good show of control and I'll surely be following this experiment.
If we see a guy with handle "shreddedcouch" show up on the forum in the next few days, we'll know who it is....
Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddedpaper View Post
http://youtu.be/aT5kvLk8tAQ
http://youtu.be/MOw5bT6MCAs
http://youtu.be/CgaIfAGAveM

I am new to you tube and not sure how to do this. Maybe copy and paste in browser if links don't work. I Apologize for the poor video quality.
Indoors because of gusty winds. Not enough room for any kind of flight or extended hover.
All links worked fine for me too! Nice job!
I am going to try this as well. However I will be using KDS EBAR FBL system for handling this. Got only some questions: Does it look safe? Are links seem to be well secured and won't pop off leaving heli in air uncontrolled and tending to shred your couch?
STAZZ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Use the heaviest main blades you can find ... it will help with stability and slow the bird down a little.

FWIW I understand people have been flying 600/700 helis without FBL electronics and no flybar for sometime. I tried it once with my Black Angel 450 ... hovered nicely but moved too fast for my skill at the time.
NevB is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Seems like Pitch should be also reversed? The Swash plate with original head was moving upside-down! Or maybe arrange it via Swash Mix?

However, Blade Grips need to be also be inverted (or replaced) cause if the link wear out with time it can easily pop off to nowhere.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Shreddedcouch, that's funny and will probably happen someday if I keep pulling stunts like that. The links seemed very secure, I'll have to compare them to a real FBL head to see if there is much difference. I was more concerned about the balls pulling out of the plastic grips, might be better with threaded aluminum grips. The swash pitch remained the same, no reversing. I agree if the links pop off there could be some serious "issues".

Stazz, good luck with the KDS EBAR, I'm interested to see how different 3G units perform. Keep me informed.

NevB, good advice on heavy main blades. Your right, it does react lightning quick, several moments of concern on my part when I first tried it.

DethWshBkr, there is video and pics of a guy on the SR forum who did it using modified ball links mounted to the head bolt, looked very similar to the MCPX design and seemed to fly quite well. I saw the vid the day after I sold my SR and was bummed, would have liked to try it.

The first attempt was outside, after I realized it could be done, I tried inside BEFORE I videoed it. Don't need videos/evidence of me slicing and dicing the couch like fruit ninja for the wife to see...
Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddedpaper View Post
Stazz, good luck with the KDS EBAR, I'm interested to see how different 3G units perform. Keep me informed.
I have just ordered KDS EBAR - will take about 2 weeks to arrive. I never had 3G, so I won't be able to compare, but reviews that have read and heard EBAR is on par or or at least not worse (due to easier setup) than Beast X. Will see. I also going to order 450X with Beast X, then I will be able to compare them since it will be 2 very-very similar machines, but with different FBL brains!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in