Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Aerial Videography and Photography > FPV and Real time Video

FPV and Real time Video Discussions of receiving video in realtime from the aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can you use a go pro hero 3 for FPV using the built in wifi?

I hear the new go pro hero 3 black has build in wifi so you can live stream and view what the cam is seeing as its happening?

Can you use this for fpv? As in stick go pro on a 500 size heli and then watch whats happening off my laptop?

Or is the lag or rubbish range which stops us from doing that?
Bodge is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The quick answer would be a definite 'No'.

The range is extremely short, the lag is quite high and the GoPro3 (at least the one we used on a TV commercial shoot) would hang like crazy.
heliaddx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheers buddy. Ah well It was a nice idea lol
Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Amongst the myriad of other reasons this wont work is that the WiFi in a goPro is on 2.4ghz. Yes, the same frequency as your transmitter. Just asking for trouble.

As has been parroted MANY times here before, you should *never* use a GoPro as your main camera in FPV; live video out or otherwise.
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I crashed my plank and almost wrote off my new camera because of it, it completely knocks out your radio signal and all you can do is watch her hopefully go down rather than fly away
fusionbrad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4ppy View Post
Amongst the myriad of other reasons this wont work is that the WiFi in a goPro is on 2.4ghz. Yes, the same frequency as your transmitter. Just asking for trouble.

As has been parroted MANY times here before, you should *never* use a GoPro as your main camera in FPV; live video out or otherwise.
Why shouldn't you use it as your main camera? Even one without wifi? thought go pros where good?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Um.....NO
thielecg is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Wifi output has at least 5 to 10 seconds lag. Good luck!
Thalios is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

You can definitely use the GoPro Hero1 or Hero2 as the camera for simultaneous FPV piloting and onboard recording.

I've been flying with the HD Hero1 both with standard lens and modified lens for ages now.

Watch the video link in my post and skip to 4:45 for the flight video which demonstrates this in action.

Don't use the wifi function but instead the usual variety of vtx/vrx available in the market.

Here is the link to the post with the video using the GoPro HD Hero1 as the FPV pilot cam and onboard recording.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=520857
Old 04-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

double post

Last edited by heliaddx; 04-16-2013 at 09:13 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

GoPros, all of them, (1, 2, 3) have a number of recurring issues that would make you not want to use it as your main camera.

A few of these issues include:
*crashing due to high temps
*crashing due to low temps
*crashing due to memory card full
*filling the screen with a giant black square that says "memory card full"
*locking up due to humidity
*crashing/locking up to memory card errors
*GoPro's are NOTORIOUS for generating tons of RF interference. Can result in reduced range to bringing your aircraft down completely.
*etc.

And all of those are even before you begin to factor in any human errors like battery dying, not pressing record, etc., etc.

It's just NOT a good idea. There are plenty of people like heliaddx that claim never have a problem and fly with just a GoPro all the time. That is until the ONE time they do and they lose everything. The cost of a dedicated CCD cam ($40??) that will NEVER crash is a fraction of the cost that results from a total loss of your FPV aircraft.

Need more evidence?

There are literally dozens of threads on FPVLab with hundreds of examples and reasons NOT to use the GoPro as your main camera,

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....l=1#post249823
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ighlight=gopro

This is literally FPV 101 pretty close to rule #1.
sl4ppy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

@sl4ppy

Big fan of your videos bud.

I haven't had an issue with the GoPro in my many many hours of flying. Lots of people like me are also flying with the GoPro without any issues also.

I'm currently living on the equator belt and have had no issues due to high temp in even the most hottest flying days.

It has filled the screen once with 'with Memory Card Full' or something and I was still able to land my Trex450 FPV platform safely

Never had lockups due to humidity.

In terms of RF interference, wouldn't you have one onboard for HD recording anyways? So I would think an additional FPV cam would introduce more RF noise to the mix.

When it comes to battery dying and not pressing record - all of these can be avoided when using the GoPro as your FPV cam also, since the live feed has an on-screen display that shows battery life, recording status and recording time.

If you look at my GoPro Hero1 - it is a true testament on how robust these little things are which is great for FPV flying.

I mean mine is so beaten up it's not even funny. It's fallen from great heights, crashed full speed into trees, walls and what have you - and still it keeps on going and has always given beautiful HD videos and clear FPV live feed.

I do however agree that a dedicated FPV cam is a good idea - especially if you intend to fly at night.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't doubt you in the slightest... and just like you there are many people using the GoPro on it's own for FPV without any problem.

However, for every person that gets on with it fine there is another example where someone has lost it... As mentioned by Sl4ppy there are countless examples on the various forums, and Sander from ImmersionRC claims that of the many "my video cut out and I crashed" customer support emails he gets, the GoPro is often a common denominator.

Yes, you absolutely can use it (though not through wifi, and the GoPro 3 seems to have far more than it's fair share of shutdowns etc) but collective forum experience would show it's nowhere near as reliable as a normal security camera setup. You make your choice and you take your chances lol.

If you want a camera that can be used as both, perhaps take a look at the horyzonHD v3? I don't think I've read of any shutdown issues with that, and video quality is comparable to go pro 1/2.

Another option is the Boscam HD19, video quality is pretty reasonable.
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great point zeeflyboy and a very balanced view of the topic.

Those cameras are all very good options indeed.

But let's also consider the possibility where we don't really hear from the people who have been using the GoPro successfully but mostly hear from people who complain about it and some who just repeat the negative things they hear/read without actually experiencing it themselves.

For example: a big pet-peev of mine is how some people for quite some time now have been claiming that 'the lag' of the GoPro (through the a/v port) will affect your flying greatly and this lag can potentially crash you because the delay would impair your judgement greatly - when in truth that lag is so miniscule that you don't even feel it even when you're out dodging trees and branches where split second decisions need to be made. I think my video pretty much proves that.

My tales with the GoPro as an FPV cam comes from personal experience, one where I've put the GoPro though tons of punishment and pushed it to the very edges of its' limits as an FPV cam.

So if someone asks whether the GoPro can be used as an FPV camera - I say 'Yes of course'.

I know it cause I've tested it to great extents over many flying hours - and not just taking it from second hand information.

Would I use it for long range flying? Yes I would, but only if my plane has an RTH and was sure that the conditions were ideal for the plane to RTH successfully - which would be the same deal I would do if I were to use a dedicated FPV cam.

Would an additional FPV cam be better? My answer would be 'if it fits in your aircraft and can handle the additional weight - then most definitely Yes.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Can you use a go pro hero 3 for FPV using the built in wifi?

Yup that's a fair assessment...

Personally I won't use it on its own, but that is just as much to do with the fact I prefer the live out of a dedicated camera as it is to do with any GoPro concerns.

I also agree about the lag. The fact is that it is there - it can be measured and demonstrated. However, I can say I have flown using it in the past and not noticed any problem...

Ultimately we are talking quite low lag and you'd have to be very sensitive to find it problematic.
Align T-Rex 600 EFL Pro, SK720/600MX/YGE-90HV/BL9180/BL9188
zeeflyboy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in